HP Laserjet 2820 - Install Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joshnruth@gmail.com, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hey Intelligence,

    We got a problem. We have four workstations (workgroup, NOT domain).
    All are P4 2.8Ghz or greater (512Mb minumum), Windows XP Professional
    SP2.
    All workstations are sitting off a wireless access point (Dlink
    DWL-2000+), which provides them access to the internet and printers.

    We have recently purchased a HP LJ Colour 2820.

    First time round it installed ok. We had one little problem.
    We couldn't print!, BUt HP Support said to alter the port tab (in
    printer config) to the ip address of the printer instead of the Port
    name. It worked. no problems! :)

    BUT THEN!!!

    We tried to use a little button on top of the scanner which is called
    "SCAN TO" it enables one to scan documents straight to the workstation.
    Great! THis is why we bought it!

    However when we pressed the little button and selected a workstation
    (manually preconfigured), an error would appear on the screen of the
    computer we wanted to recieve images, and it would say something to the
    effect of it had trouble initialising scanner etc. and something about
    a communication issue.

    Things I noticed:
    1.) The HP device can talk to the computer (thus the error would not
    display).
    2.) The Computer can print to the HP Device.
    3.) The HP Device can scan and copy, in black and colour, but the "SCAN
    TO" function results in the above mentioned error on the said computer.

    4.) The computer gets an error if it tries to use a TWAIN type scan
    (say in paintbrush). Very similar to the one seen when using scanTO.
    5.) All software firewalls have been disabled.
    6.) All antivirus software has been disabled.
    7.) All anti-spyware software has been uninstalled.

    As a result we uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall. It
    worked but then all of a sudden on all the computers we started seeing,
    A LOOP.

    The LOOP:
    During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
    connect to the printer..

    We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
    Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
    even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).

    We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
    then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
    back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
    we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.

    This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
    software install.

    HP doesnt know what to do, they can't figure it out, this is week 2,
    without any progress..

    Anyone with ideas? A breif summary of the problem is listed below. :)

    2.) We can't reinstall the software.

    Cheers and Thankyou in advance,

    Josh Mitchell

    , Nov 18, 2005

  2. Guest

    My guess is its a hardware or software problem with the printer.
    Otherwise the HP software should be able to talk to its own hardware
    and install correctly.

    Probably what ever should be sent by the printer , for the twain thing,
    is brocken.
    If it is under warrenty take it back try another one. This way you
    know if its your systems hardware conficting some how, or this one
    printer that is brocken.

    wrote:
    > Hey Intelligence,
    >
    > We got a problem. We have four workstations (workgroup, NOT domain).
    > All are P4 2.8Ghz or greater (512Mb minumum), Windows XP Professional
    > SP2.
    > All workstations are sitting off a wireless access point (Dlink
    > DWL-2000+), which provides them access to the internet and printers.
    >
    > We have recently purchased a HP LJ Colour 2820.
    >
    > First time round it installed ok. We had one little problem.
    > We couldn't print!, BUt HP Support said to alter the port tab (in
    > printer config) to the ip address of the printer instead of the Port
    > name. It worked. no problems! :)
    >
    > BUT THEN!!!
    >
    > We tried to use a little button on top of the scanner which is called
    > "SCAN TO" it enables one to scan documents straight to the workstation.
    > Great! THis is why we bought it!
    >
    > However when we pressed the little button and selected a workstation
    > (manually preconfigured), an error would appear on the screen of the
    > computer we wanted to recieve images, and it would say something to the
    > effect of it had trouble initialising scanner etc. and something about
    > a communication issue.
    >
    > Things I noticed:
    > 1.) The HP device can talk to the computer (thus the error would not
    > display).
    > 2.) The Computer can print to the HP Device.
    > 3.) The HP Device can scan and copy, in black and colour, but the "SCAN
    > TO" function results in the above mentioned error on the said computer.
    >
    > 4.) The computer gets an error if it tries to use a TWAIN type scan
    > (say in paintbrush). Very similar to the one seen when using scanTO.
    > 5.) All software firewalls have been disabled.
    > 6.) All antivirus software has been disabled.
    > 7.) All anti-spyware software has been uninstalled.
    >
    > As a result we uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall. It
    > worked but then all of a sudden on all the computers we started seeing,
    > A LOOP.
    >
    > The LOOP:
    > During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
    > connect to the printer..
    >
    > We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
    > Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
    > even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).
    >
    > We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
    > then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
    > back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
    > we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.
    >
    > This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
    > software install.
    >
    > HP doesnt know what to do, they can't figure it out, this is week 2,
    > without any progress..
    >
    > Anyone with ideas? A breif summary of the problem is listed below. :)

    > 2.) We can't reinstall the software.
    >

    > Cheers and Thankyou in advance,
    >
    > Josh Mitchell

    , Nov 18, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > Hey Intelligence,
    >
    > We got a problem. We have four workstations (workgroup, NOT domain).
    > All are P4 2.8Ghz or greater (512Mb minumum), Windows XP Professional
    > SP2.
    > All workstations are sitting off a wireless access point (Dlink
    > DWL-2000+), which provides them access to the internet and printers.
    >
    > We have recently purchased a HP LJ Colour 2820.
    >
    > First time round it installed ok. We had one little problem.
    > We couldn't print!, BUt HP Support said to alter the port tab (in
    > printer config) to the ip address of the printer instead of the Port
    > name. It worked. no problems! :)
    >
    > BUT THEN!!!
    >
    > We tried to use a little button on top of the scanner which is called
    > "SCAN TO" it enables one to scan documents straight to the workstation.
    > Great! THis is why we bought it!
    >
    > However when we pressed the little button and selected a workstation
    > (manually preconfigured), an error would appear on the screen of the
    > computer we wanted to recieve images, and it would say something to the
    > effect of it had trouble initialising scanner etc. and something about
    > a communication issue.
    >
    > Things I noticed:
    > 1.) The HP device can talk to the computer (thus the error would not
    > display).
    > 2.) The Computer can print to the HP Device.
    > 3.) The HP Device can scan and copy, in black and colour, but the "SCAN
    > TO" function results in the above mentioned error on the said computer.
    >
    > 4.) The computer gets an error if it tries to use a TWAIN type scan
    > (say in paintbrush). Very similar to the one seen when using scanTO.
    > 5.) All software firewalls have been disabled.
    > 6.) All antivirus software has been disabled.
    > 7.) All anti-spyware software has been uninstalled.
    >
    > As a result we uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall. It
    > worked but then all of a sudden on all the computers we started seeing,
    > A LOOP.
    >
    > The LOOP:
    > During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
    > connect to the printer..
    >
    > We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
    > Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
    > even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).
    >
    > We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
    > then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
    > back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
    > we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.
    >
    > This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
    > software install.
    > Can you ping the printers IP address from the workstations?

    Since the DWL-2000+ is actually a router, it probably also works as a dhcp
    server. Maybe the ip address it assigns to the printer has changed (lease
    expired) in the meantime, while the xp clients still hold the old address
    in their cache and fail when actually trying to access the printer through
    it.
    You may want to test
    - if you can ping your printer by ip address
    - if you can setup the router to provide a fixed ip to the printer by MAC
    - if "ipconfig /all" on the windows clients shows the same network, subnet
    mask and default gateway on all of them

    Walter Mautner, Nov 18, 2005
  4. SUMMONER Guest

    Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen an HP printer/scanner
    combo that could send scans to a computer via Ethernet, using a twain
    driver/front panel controls.

    On the better OfficeJets HP implemented a Java applet (integrated into
    the print server's administration webpage) to by-pass the lack of this
    feature.
    One types the printer's IP address into Internet Explorer and logs into
    the configuration console. From here one can do a preview and then do a
    colour/greyscale scan which will be saved as picture file (can't
    remember format) on the desktop.

    I am not aware that the scan to function/twain function work with
    anything but the USB/Parallel connections.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind Regards

    Malte

    SUMMONER, Nov 18, 2005
  5. SUMMONER Guest

    Looks like I am out of date. :(

    Having had a look on the support website, there's a tool available for
    download, which apparently addresses some configuration issues in
    regards to network scanning.

    Looking a little closer at the print-scanners specifications, it states
    that it can even scan directly to a network share. Sounds like a very
    nice piece of equipment (going by the specs).

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...iesId=445194&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

    Kind Regards

    Malte

    SUMMONER, Nov 18, 2005
  6. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey Intelligence,
    >
    > We got a problem. We have four workstations (workgroup, NOT domain).
    > All are P4 2.8Ghz or greater (512Mb minumum), Windows XP Professional
    > SP2.
    > All workstations are sitting off a wireless access point (Dlink
    > DWL-2000+), which provides them access to the internet and printers.
    >
    > We have recently purchased a HP LJ Colour 2820.
    >
    > First time round it installed ok. We had one little problem.
    > We couldn't print!, BUt HP Support said to alter the port tab (in
    > printer config) to the ip address of the printer instead of the Port
    > name. It worked. no problems! :)
    >
    > BUT THEN!!!
    >
    > We tried to use a little button on top of the scanner which is called
    > "SCAN TO" it enables one to scan documents straight to the workstation.
    > Great! THis is why we bought it!
    >
    > However when we pressed the little button and selected a workstation
    > (manually preconfigured), an error would appear on the screen of the
    > computer we wanted to recieve images, and it would say something to the
    > effect of it had trouble initialising scanner etc. and something about
    > a communication issue.
    >
    > Things I noticed:
    > 1.) The HP device can talk to the computer (thus the error would not
    > display).
    > 2.) The Computer can print to the HP Device.
    > 3.) The HP Device can scan and copy, in black and colour, but the "SCAN
    > TO" function results in the above mentioned error on the said computer.
    >
    > 4.) The computer gets an error if it tries to use a TWAIN type scan
    > (say in paintbrush). Very similar to the one seen when using scanTO.
    > 5.) All software firewalls have been disabled.
    > 6.) All antivirus software has been disabled.
    > 7.) All anti-spyware software has been uninstalled.
    >
    > As a result we uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall. It
    > worked but then all of a sudden on all the computers we started seeing,
    > A LOOP.
    >
    > The LOOP:
    > During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
    > connect to the printer..
    >
    > We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
    > Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
    > even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).
    >
    > We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
    > then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
    > back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
    > we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.
    >
    > This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
    > software install.
    >
    > HP doesnt know what to do, they can't figure it out, this is week 2,
    > without any progress..
    >
    > Anyone with ideas? A breif summary of the problem is listed below. :)

    > 2.) We can't reinstall the software.
    >

    > Cheers and Thankyou in advance,
    >
    > Josh Mitchell

    Josh

    I installed the software for a HP Dxxxx something a while ago that had that
    'scan to' feature'
    It was to a two PC LAN and though I remember it worked, it was flakey to say
    the least.

    Two suggestions 1) get the absolute latest drivers from HP's website, 2) set
    up a single PC with a freshly installed OS (no AV etc) and connect it to the
    HP via a Crossover cable, then see what happens.

    The only other suggestion I can offer is to scrape the darkest corners of
    HP's website.
    I once spent the best part of two days trying to get a new DJ5000 series
    Printer working, half of it on the phone to HP's support.
    Despite it working OK on another PC, HP eventually declared 'send it back'
    As it happened it this was late Friday and it was left till Monday.
    Saturday I did such a troll thru HP's website and came up with a bulletin
    that pointed to a driver conflict with earlier model HP printer drivers.
    That was the answer, why HP's 'support' didn't have reference to that I
    don't know, but yer gotta wonder.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 18, 2005