HP Laptop displays error when shutting down

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kompu Kid, Dec 25, 2009.

  1. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    Hello All:

    My sister's brand-new HP laptop displays the following error when
    shutting down:

    "The exception unknown software exception 0X0000005 occurred in the
    application at location 0X76017be2"

    Laptop's specs:

    HP G70-463cl
    Running Windows Vista

    She will be getting the windows 7 upgrade soon, so if this error is
    related to the operating system, she says she won't worry too much
    about it.

    Thanks!

    Deguza

    Kompu Kid, Dec 25, 2009

  2. Kompu Kid

    chuckcar Guest

    Kompu Kid <> wrote in

    > Hello All:
    >
    > My sister's brand-new HP laptop displays the following error when
    > shutting down:
    >
    > "The exception unknown software exception 0X0000005 occurred in the
    > application at location 0X76017be2"
    >
    > Laptop's specs:
    >
    > HP G70-463cl
    > Running Windows Vista
    >
    > She will be getting the windows 7 upgrade soon, so if this error is
    > related to the operating system, she says she won't worry too much
    > about it.

    Is this before or after the desktop background disappears from the
    screen? If before, i'd say it was something in startup - disabling
    startup would allow you to test that. If you run msconfig, you can do
    so. Otherwise It may depend on what hardware she may have added that
    didn't come from the factory. If the later doesn't apply, calling HP
    tech support would be prudent and it would be something they may very
    well may know about. There is a third possibility that it's simply
    corruption from windows not being shut down properly. If the computer is
    completely unused, running the restore would be the easiest way to fix it
    and determine if there is a hardware problem with the computer itself. *Only*
    do so with only the hardware that came from the factory attached. Was
    this a "demo" model by any chance?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 26, 2009

  3. Kompu Kid

    Justin Guest

    On 12/25/09 4:53 PM, Kompu Kid wrote:
    > Hello All:
    >
    > My sister's brand-new HP laptop displays the following error when
    > shutting down:
    >
    > "The exception unknown software exception 0X0000005 occurred in the
    > application at location 0X76017be2"
    >
    > Laptop's specs:
    >
    > HP G70-463cl
    > Running Windows Vista
    >
    > She will be getting the windows 7 upgrade soon, so if this error is
    > related to the operating system, she says she won't worry too much
    > about it.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Deguza

    before you spend $100+ on the Seven upgrade, go on eBay and look for
    "Windows 7 home/professional/ultimate key.
    Only get it from sellers IN the USA and with over 100 positive feedback
    comments.
    You'll just get the key and you can download the ISO file and make your
    own DVD. Make sure the auction indicates where you can download the ISO
    from.
    Its not difficult to burn an ISO onto a DVD - CDBurnerXP is a free
    utility that can.
    another is imgburn.

    There is no need to spend that much on an upgrade.

    Justin, Dec 26, 2009
  4. Kompu Kid

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 01:39:14 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Kompu Kid <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hello All:
    >>
    >> My sister's brand-new HP laptop displays the following error when
    >> shutting down:
    >>
    >> "The exception unknown software exception 0X0000005 occurred in the
    >> application at location 0X76017be2"
    >>
    >> Laptop's specs:
    >>
    >> HP G70-463cl
    >> Running Windows Vista
    >>
    >> She will be getting the windows 7 upgrade soon, so if this error is
    >> related to the operating system, she says she won't worry too much
    >> about it.
    >>

    >Is this before or after the desktop background disappears from the
    >screen? If before, i'd say it was something in startup - disabling
    >startup would allow you to test that.

    If he disables startup, how will he be able to start the computer at
    all?

    joevan, Dec 26, 2009
  5. Kompu Kid

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd from
    comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk

    On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:53:29 -0800 (PST), Kompu Kid wrote:

    >Hello All:
    >
    >My sister's brand-new HP laptop displays the following error when
    >shutting down:

    If it's that new check in the HP forums.

    Return to vendor if you haven't changed installed/uninstalled any apps
    and it's doing this out of the box.

    Depends if you have installed / removed any apps.

    >"The exception unknown software exception 0X0000005 occurred in the
    >application at location 0X76017be2"

    www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 342 for unknown software exception 0X0000005 hp.
    (0.31 seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 50 for unknown software exception 0X0000005
    vista hp. (0.20 seconds)

    This might not help :)
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3979157&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/ye7h4he

    You searched for: exception 0X0000005
    For your: HP G70-463CL Notebook PC
    We found 8 results that matched your search. (Displaying results: 1-8)

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/yenr3kz

    >Laptop's specs:

    Helps to have that at the top :)

    >HP G70-463cl

    Assuming that's CL.

    >Running Windows Vista

    32bit / 64 bit?

    >She will be getting the windows 7 upgrade soon, so if this error is
    >related to the operating system, she says she won't worry too much

    Why?

    Save everything you need and reinstall from the HP recovery disks.

    >about it.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Deguza

    Me

    why?, Dec 26, 2009
  6. Kompu Kid

    chuckcar Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 01:39:14 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Kompu Kid <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hello All:
    >>>
    >>> My sister's brand-new HP laptop displays the following error when
    >>> shutting down:
    >>>
    >>> "The exception unknown software exception 0X0000005 occurred in the
    >>> application at location 0X76017be2"
    >>>
    >>> Laptop's specs:
    >>>
    >>> HP G70-463cl
    >>> Running Windows Vista
    >>>
    >>> She will be getting the windows 7 upgrade soon, so if this error is
    >>> related to the operating system, she says she won't worry too much
    >>> about it.
    >>>

    >>Is this before or after the desktop background disappears from the
    >>screen? If before, i'd say it was something in startup - disabling
    >>startup would allow you to test that.

    > If he disables startup, how will he be able to start the computer at
    > all?

    Of course he can. Startup is only run after windows is otherwise fully
    loaded.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 26, 2009
  7. Kompu Kid

    chuckcar Guest

    Justin <> wrote in

    > On 12/25/09 4:53 PM, Kompu Kid wrote:
    >> Hello All:
    >>
    >> My sister's brand-new HP laptop displays the following error when
    >> shutting down:
    >>
    >> "The exception unknown software exception 0X0000005 occurred in the
    >> application at location 0X76017be2"
    >>
    >> Laptop's specs:
    >>
    >> HP G70-463cl
    >> Running Windows Vista
    >>
    >> She will be getting the windows 7 upgrade soon, so if this error is
    >> related to the operating system, she says she won't worry too much
    >> about it.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Deguza
    >>

    > before you spend $100+ on the Seven upgrade, go on eBay and look for
    > "Windows 7 home/professional/ultimate key.
    > Only get it from sellers IN the USA and with over 100 positive
    > feedback comments.
    > You'll just get the key and you can download the ISO file and make
    > your own DVD. Make sure the auction indicates where you can download
    > the ISO from.
    > Its not difficult to burn an ISO onto a DVD - CDBurnerXP is a free
    > utility that can.
    > another is imgburn.
    >
    > There is no need to spend that much on an upgrade.

    Most likely the windows 7 upgrade comes free from HP. And it's meant for
    that specific consumer computer. retail MS windows are *not* the same
    the ones that come on restore disks. There are huge differences in
    driver support for one.

    Nor is Vista they have supplied or supported by Microsoft. Their software
    warrenty lies with HP.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 26, 2009
  8. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    On Dec 25, 6:38 pm, Justin <> wrote:
    > On 12/25/09 4:53 PM, Kompu Kid wrote:
    >

    > > Hello All:

    > > My sister's brand-new HP laptop displays the following error when
    > > shutting down:

    > > "The exception unknown software exception 0X0000005 occurred in the
    > > application at location 0X76017be2"

    > > Laptop's specs:

    > > HP G70-463cl
    > > Running Windows Vista

    > > She will be getting the windows 7 upgrade soon, so if this error is
    > > related to the operating system, she says she won't worry too much
    > > about it.

    > > Thanks!

    > > Deguza

    > before you spend $100+ on the Seven upgrade, go on eBay and look for
    > "Windows 7 home/professional/ultimate key.
    > Only get it from sellers IN the USA and with over 100 positive feedback
    > comments.
    > You'll just get the key and you can download the ISO file and make your
    > own DVD.  Make sure the auction indicates where you can download the ISO
    > from.
    > Its not difficult to burn an ISO onto a DVD - CDBurnerXP is a free
    > utility that can.
    > another is imgburn.
    >
    > There is no need to spend that much on an upgrade.

    She is getting a free upgrade to Win7.

    Thanks

    Kompu Kid, Dec 26, 2009
  9. Kompu Kid

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:56:57 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Of course he can. Startup is only run after windows is otherwise fully
    >>loaded.

    > Based on some of your answers, I'd say YOU are fully loaded.
    >
    > Either with crap, or liquor.
    >
    > Or both.

    Or right, but you'll never admit that or even be able to tell if it's
    true or not.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 30, 2009
  10. Kompu Kid

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 02:04:36 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Or right, but you'll never admit that or even be able to tell if it's
    >>true or not.

    > I've admitted I'm wrong numerous times.

    Give message-ids. I don't believe it for a minute.

    > You've NEVER admitted to being
    > wrong, you simply drop from the thread, or stick to your totally
    > incorrect answer, even when a dozen other people are telling you that
    > you are wrong.

    Impossible for you to know that. I've been here longer than you and
    fixed plenty of peoples problems before your microcephalic skull started
    messing around with this group. Usually 4 to four a week.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 30, 2009
  11. Kompu Kid

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 02:14:01 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> I've admitted I'm wrong numerous times.

    >>Give message-ids. I don't believe it for a minute.

    > Yeah, I'll see what I can dig up, however you'll notice I have No
    > Archive set in my headers, so you'll simply claim you can't see the
    > message.

    Not when I run my own server you don't. It only applies to GG.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 30, 2009