    install the new XP 64 bit edition and howdo I know which one is the latest
    one.

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?c2FudmFjZXM=?=, May 26, 2005

  2. No:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

    You will probably need one of these:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/ipf/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xp64ovw.mspx

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 26, 2005

  3. I'm sorry, but NO you can't. And further, there is no longer a version of
    Windows XP available for your new machine. You need to use Windows Server
    2003, Enterprise Edition with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems. There is no
    longer any support for workstation class machines on Itanium, just enterprise
    and datacenter server class machines.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2005
  4. No XP for IA64, Jupiter. It is history, and I don't think even orderable any
    more. Still supported, because MS supports for years and years after they
    stop shipping the product.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?c2FudmFjZXM=?=

    Russ Pyne Guest

    I have unused copy of 64bit Itainum Win Server 2003 Enterprise 1 - 8cpu,
    25clt. for sale, half trade price. Purchased in error from approved UK
    Microsoft Distributer.

    Russ Pyne

    Russ Pyne, May 26, 2005
  6. Well, that's true, as far as it goes. However, Microsoft has announced an
    Itanium version for Longhorn Server (tentatively due out in 2007).

    --
    It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop...

    =?Utf-8?B?dGhlcGVhcnRyZWU=?=, May 26, 2005
  7. yes. SERVER! Not workstation. Not Client. Not XP. You can have Server today.
    It works fine at what it does. Just don't expect to run very much in the way
    of 32-bit apps, because they don't run well in the emulation layer required
    on ia64.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?c2FudmFjZXM=?=

    WM Guest

    <tongue in cheek>64-bit apps don't run well on Itaniums either.</tongue in
    cheek>

    WM, May 26, 2005
  9. No, I can't say that. Frankly, I've never had an Itanium to play with to try
    it. But I've seen some awesome results running really really large database
    programs on a 4-way Itanium.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005