HP expires your ink cartridges for you - RANT

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kiwi999_1@Hotmail.com, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Got a 2nd-hand Business Jet 2200 with all inks showing 100%.
    Installed on my pc and on the Test Print, got an error message saying
    "Cyan Cartridge Expired". That was it - no test page. No amount of
    resetting or combination of buttons could get rid of that warning, or
    get it to print.

    Goggle returns this link:
    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Apr/wge20030501019809.htm

    So, you either have 4.5 years from when the cartridge is manufactured
    or 30 months after you install the cartridge in the printer to use it,
    or HP will expire it for you.
    In my case, I know the printer was purchased less than 3 years ago and
    the inks have been replaced since then. The cartridges don't date any
    earlier than Sept 2002. So why this message?!

    What a ripoff!

    In the end, I got it printing again.

    Trick was in NOT using the driver from HP, but using the default
    Windows XP driver.
    , Dec 19, 2004