HP DVD Writer 840b does not see media

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by shangrila, Mar 23, 2009.

1. shangrila

shangrila

HP Dvd Writer 840b - Dvd drive will not detect blank dvd's. I have tried + and - formats. I have tried Sony, Memorex and FIFI media, WR and R. I can play DVD's, burn and play CD's. (I have an HP Media Center PC m7248n). I only tried to burn one DVD since buying the computer, and it was sucessful. That was a year ago. I was told that having more than one burning program on the computer, corrupts them as they compete. I removed all the burning softwares (Add and remove programs) including program files going through C:. I then went to Start, all programs, PC help and tools; HP Application Recovery. One at a time I reinstalled the 2 Sonic Applications. I then did the Drive Firmware update sp26721.exe; followed by the fix Mediahub.exe file errors sp34919. Next I got the unknown error write 2130906240 -4. Apparently this means a media incompatibility issue, related to the burning happening too slowly. Repeated the steps above getting fresh downloads, in case something had gotten corrupted. After the firmware update, no instructions came up. I still rebooted the system as per the instructions with the burned iso disk in and out. Read on a blog how perhaps the problem was a IE version 7 and Window Media Player version 11 or Sonic incompatibilty. Downloaded and installed "the patch" sp34679. It asked for me to uninstall RecordNow Data and then the Roxio Set Up Data Module Wizard took me through re-installation.I have had some on-line chat sessions that have created me more problems than what I had to begin with. I am happy to report that I am now back to having just one problem. "Recordable media was not detected in DVD Writer 840b. Any help short of System Recovery ideas? I take it by reading some of the submissions that even that was not a solution

shangrila, Mar 23, 2009
    1. Advertising

2. shangrila

wolong

HP DVD Writer 840b

I'm having a similar problem with the DVD 840b in my HP Media Center m7360n. I can read/write CDs but not DVDs. From my Google searches I see that this is a common problem. I plan to replace the drive. What about you?
    Bill
    wolong&aol.com

wolong, Apr 1, 2010
    1. Advertising