HP dv6000 & Asus AP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jim Elbrecht, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Jim Elbrecht

    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Since I installed the ASUS Access point a few months ago it has been
    less than reliable- I thought I could figure it out on my own, but I
    give up.
    I managed to keep a 4computer home LAN going with WFWG & Win98 boxes,
    but XP, a lot of new terms, and maybe the wireless quirks have me
    stymied.

    Here's my setup;
    I have Roadrunner- which uses uses DHCP.
    Cable modem is attached to Lyncsys hub; the hub connects to an access
    point- and to a router which is has 2 desktops connected via Cat 5
    cables. [had the AP on the router but couldn't get it to work at all]

    The desktops, both XP, SP2 never lose connection for long- though they
    do drop internet connection on occasion- a 'try again' always
    reconnects. I've given up trying to get the computers to see each
    other- but at some point I'd like to get one of them and the HP laptop
    to share.

    My laptop- the HP dv6000 has MCE - my daughter's is a Dell with XP.
    Both react the same.

    Sign on after a long power off usually connects to the internet-
    then it randomly disconnects and I have to either reboot the wireless
    AP- the modem- or the computer. Sometimes a computer reboot won't be
    enough to get the network to reconnect and I need to shut things down
    for 15-20 minutes, and then it is OK.

    Now it has begun to detect the network when I turn on the computer -
    but it can't seem to connect. It aks for my password- then it seems
    to try until it times out [30 secnds or so]

    If both computers are on the wireless they both seem to lose
    connection at the same time. [the Dell isn't here often, so I haven't
    had a lot of time to troubleshoot them together]

    When I lose connection "HP Wireless Assistant" dialog box says the LAN
    is turned on.
    The network connections dialog box has 3 lines;
    Wireless Net. Conn. 4 'not connected, Firewalled, Broadcom 802.11g
    WLAN

    1394 Connection; connected, firewalled, 1394 Net Adapter

    Local Area Connection; Network Cable unplugged ; NVIDIA nForce
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

    If I turn off the firewall and try to connect 'Wireless Connection 4"
    - it says no Wireless networks in range.

    Does anyone have some thoughts? I've tried the windows
    troubleshooting 'wizards' to no avail. I've uninstalled and
    re-installed-- I've got the newest drivers.

    [and I've discovered the 'wireless button' - so I check that first
    now]
    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Elbrecht, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Hi
    RR is a dynamic connetion Not a regular LAN DHCP. It probably do not give
    more than one IP.
    In any case, the configuration should be.
    Modem to WAN port of Router, Access Point to a Regular Port on the Router.
    Other computers to regualr ports of the Router, or Wireless.
    Access Point configured according to the principles as described here,
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 16, 2007