HP DV1100 and Netgear 802.11G connections...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SHVudGVyIEI=?=, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. If you received your HP Laptop directly from HP or a Vendor (CompUSA,
    MicroCenter etc.)and they did not configure it for wireless connection, then
    continue. There is a button in the middle of the laptop above the F1-F12
    keys that says "Wireless Connetion" Press this; If it lights up continue.
    When the "New Hardware found" do a search on the C:\ Hard drive for the
    device drivers or if you can locate your CD put in the CD Drive. You will
    now notice that Blue Tooth is enabled after it installs the software. You
    can keep this enabled or disable it in the Network Connections from the
    control panel. I personally do a reboot after installing new hardware. You
    will now be able to see all the Network connections in you area. Pretty cool.

    Your neighbor is clueless on how to do a wireless network because he is
    displaying an unsecure connection. You can adjust your Network card on the
    laptop and router to only see 802.11G networks at this point (if this is a
    802.11g router and compatible network card) or before if you would like.
    This will block out all 802.11b networks in your area if you select on
    802.11G only.
    I am trying to connect to a Netgear four port wireless Router. This means
    that you have five plugs in the back of the router. Plug one ethernet cable
    into your modem/dsl and then the other into WAN of the router. Configure
    your router according to the directions for DHCP and internet connection.
    Plug all other PC's into 1-4. Make sure you don't exceed four PC's with a
    wireless and non wireless connection total.
    When configuring the Netgear router make sure to go to the additional
    settings and add the MAC address of the wireless network card of the laptop
    to allow access to the router. You can find your mac address by going to
    Start/Run and typing "cmd" and hit enter. At the command prompt type (black
    screen with C:\Documents and Settings\{name} "ipconfi g /all" - and hit
    enter. You will notice in the second area in the network adaptors that says
    "Physical Address.....59:0b:5g:d8:0m:t4" a number similar to this. This is
    not my MAC addrss so don't try to copy it. LOL
    This is your MAC address. Locate at the bottom of the list in Add MAC
    address allowed to poass though or something like that. I will update later
    with the exact name and router type from Netgear. For the name put in the
    computer name you called it. Start/rt. click on My Computer and go to
    Properties. What is the computer name you assigned to the PC when you first
    set it up?
    That is the name you can put in that field. The MAC address is the
    most important. Once you add that then click update on the router screen.
    Configure our Network card and router according to Barb Bowmans article. I
    tried this with everything disabled and then WEP and then WPA-PSK and it
    works great. Here is the article in case you can't locate it
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx
    Go to Start/Shutdown and Reboot everything if you want. Again I reboot
    after all new configurations.
    WOW. You are now connected and now you will be able to connect to the
    router and internet.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVudGVyIEI=?=, Mar 7, 2005