HP Deskjet 840c software/driver query

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Netty, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. Netty

    Netty Guest

    Hi,

    I'm currently attempting to update the driver for my printer. I've
    downloaded the latest one, but when I try to install it, I keep getting an
    error box up stating:

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running
    MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the
    application.

    Then gives me the options to either close or ignore.

    Can someone please advise what to do now as I really need this update and
    don't understand why I'm getting the above message.

    I'm running XP pro with the crappy sp2.

    TIA
    Netty

    Netty, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Netty wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm currently attempting to update the driver for my printer. I've
    > downloaded the latest one, but when I try to install it, I keep getting an
    > error box up stating:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to
    > terminate the application.
    >
    > Then gives me the options to either close or ignore.

    Either the said file is missing and you can copy it from the repair folder,
    or there's an issue with the TEMP path entry, as often occurs with W2KSP4.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 4, 2005

  3. Netty

    John Inzer Guest

    Netty wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm currently attempting to update the driver for my
    > printer. I've downloaded the latest one, but when I try
    > to install it, I keep getting an error box up stating:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not
    > suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
    > applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
    >
    > Then gives me the options to either close or ignore.
    >
    > Can someone please advise what to do now as I really need
    > this update and don't understand why I'm getting the
    > above message.
    > I'm running XP pro with the crappy sp2.
    >
    > TIA
    > Netty

    ==================================
    The latest driver for the HP 840c is dated
    Dec. 2001.

    HP Deskjet 840c Printer
    http://tinyurl.com/dzgnk

    Have a look at the following article:

    (324767) Error message when you install or
    start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

    --