    This computer is two years old and has a Pentium 4, and I don't believe this
    is really 64 bit capable. I thought you had to have a processor especially
    designed. I am off to research some more. Thanks.
    SteveC, Jan 20, 2009

  2. SteveC

    Jane C Guest

    "SteveC" <sconklan.nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I just saw a surprising thing in the Windows Experience details:

    > 64 bit capable: Yes

    > This computer is two years old and has a Pentium 4, and I don't believe
    > this
    > is really 64 bit capable. I thought you had to have a processor
    > especially
    > designed. I am off to research some more. Thanks.

    Hi Steve,

    Don't be too surprised - I have a 3 and a half year old Pentium 4 that is
    fully 64 bit capable. So far, it has run XP Professional x64, Vista
    Ultimate and Enterprise x64, Windows Server 2003 x64, Windows Server 2008
    x64, and a few others ;) All without issue.

    If you can find the model number, the Intel website has a facility to
    determine exactly what your processor is capable of.

    Good luck :)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Jane C, Jan 20, 2009

  3. SteveC

    David B. Guest

    HP lists no 64 bit drivers for it, but that doesn't mean it's not.

    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    David B., Jan 20, 2009
  4. We'd need to know the exact processor installed, but it might well be 64-bit
    capable. After all, this three year old laptop I'm running is 64-bit...
    However, if there are no drivers for it on the HP site, I'd strongly suggest
    you stick with 32-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 20, 2009
  5. SteveC

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    That HP series came with any one of a variety of Intel Celeron D, Pentium 4,
    or Pentium D (dual core) processors. Which your has is indicated by the full
    model number among other places. Check here for details:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12253_div/12253_div.HTML#Technical Specifications

    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Jan 20, 2009
  6. SteveC

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Jane C" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "SteveC" <sconklan.nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Don't be too surprised - I have a 3 and a half year old Pentium 4 that is
    > fully 64 bit capable. So far, it has run XP Professional x64, Vista

    BTW, there are also P4-s that IIRC support both EM64T and hardware
    virtualization (Extreme Edition 965/955 and P4 672/662)

    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/319/1/
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/news/656
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/19/intel_eols_p4_662_672/

    Regards, Roman
    roman modic, Jan 21, 2009
  7. SteveC

    SteveC Guest

    Thanks for replying everyone. So not only do I need 64 bit drivers for
    video, printers, etc, but also for the computer itself? I went to hp.com
    and found nothing. Not that I expected to. I have the Pentium 4.

    SteveC, Jan 22, 2009
  8. You will need 64-bit drivers for your system hardware. Looking at
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...sId=472276&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2096
    you should be able to find 64-bit drivers for everything. Make sure you have
    the latest versions them all on a USB stick or CD before installing - you
    might be unable to access the net until at least some are installed. With a
    4-year old system, it is quite possible that the install will include
    working drivers for everything.

    It would be advisable to apply the latest BIOS and firmware updates before
    installing x64, if you have not already done so.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 22, 2009
  9. SteveC

    SRC Guest

    Thanks. I think I shall do it. If it destroys it, so what. I can always
    start from scratch. <smile>

    SRC, Jan 22, 2009
  10. SteveC

    SteveC Guest

    I downloaded Win7 64 and went to install it. Says it must be a clean
    install. I went to do a clean install and got cold feet because there was
    nothing to indicate it was the 64bit version so worried I was going to do a
    clean install of 32-bit.

    SteveC, Jan 24, 2009
  11. If the 64-bit disc boot, then your system has a CPU that
    supports 64-bit.

    If if didn't boot then it would mean it doesn't support 64-bit.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 24, 2009
  12. The x64 iso is 3.3GB and the x86 is 2.5GB. Either installer just says
    Windows 7 when you install.

    The x64 disk label is GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.
    The x86 disk label is GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 24, 2009