HP d135 All-In-One Installation CLUSTER!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChrisCoaster, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    I got this printer/fax/scanner from a friend who said it's in perfect
    working condition, just needs to be dusted off. (Not to mention the
    thing reeks of cigarette smoke...)

    So I physically install it, USB, phone lines, power and all. Boot up my
    Windows ME system. New Hardware detected - would you like Windows to
    find the driver for it or specify a location? So I specified location,
    put the driver CD in the ROM drive. Waited 5 minutes the drive didn't
    even spin. BUT: When I access the CD through My Computer I'm able to
    install the *printer*. I rebooted the system, again ME found new
    hardware. I cancelled this and checked under Printers. The *d-135*
    was not there. Is this a ME issue?

    Second problem: When I performed a Clean Print Heads, the machine just
    made a few soft servo noises and about 3 minutes later, the front LCD
    displayed "IDS ERROR - CONTACT HP".

    I called their service number and they ran the serial - apparently this
    thing is a lot older than my friend suggested, and "probably not worth
    the $30 per issue service call", according to the attendant.

    I'm just posting here to see if you folks have know any way to get this
    otherwise fine printer working on my system or know what is an "IDS
    ERROR".

    Thanks,

    CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 17, 2006

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Pen Guest

    "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote
    in message
    >I got this printer/fax/scanner from a
    >friend who said it's in perfect
    > working condition, just needs to be
    > dusted off. (Not to mention the
    > thing reeks of cigarette smoke...)
    >
    > So I physically install it, USB, phone
    > lines, power and all. Boot up my
    > Windows ME system. New Hardware
    > detected - would you like Windows to
    > find the driver for it or specify a
    > location? So I specified location,
    > put the driver CD in the ROM drive.
    > Waited 5 minutes the drive didn't
    > even spin. BUT: When I access the CD
    > through My Computer I'm able to
    > install the *printer*. I rebooted the
    > system, again ME found new
    > hardware. I cancelled this and
    > checked under Printers. The *d-135*
    > was not there. Is this a ME issue?
    >
    > Second problem: When I performed a
    > Clean Print Heads, the machine just
    > made a few soft servo noises and about
    > 3 minutes later, the front LCD
    > displayed "IDS ERROR - CONTACT HP".
    >
    > I called their service number and they
    > ran the serial - apparently this
    > thing is a lot older than my friend
    > suggested, and "probably not worth
    > the $30 per issue service call",
    > according to the attendant.
    >
    > I'm just posting here to see if you
    > folks have know any way to get this
    > otherwise fine printer working on my
    > system or know what is an "IDS
    > ERROR".
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > CC

    Go here download the manuals. HPs
    typically have a particular install
    routine which must be obeyed. This
    machine is no exception.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?product=64986&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

    Pen, Jun 17, 2006

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Those posters are great at explaining every step of setting up the d
    series except WHEN TO HOOK IT UP TO THE COMPUTER!!

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 18, 2006
  4. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    In addition to what I just posted, I shut down and restarted the
    computer as per the driver instructions. Because the poster does not
    specify when to physically attach the printer to the PC, I connected it
    while the PC was off. Then I booted up the computer. It still
    prompted me to locate the drivers for the new hardware, and even when I
    pointed it to the right folder, "OK" was grayed out and did not allow
    me to select the location.

    Some background history: This is a 2001 model Gateway with ME. It is
    probably older than the printer. Plus, for the last two years this
    computer has never shutdown when asked to. I have always had to
    manually shut it down by pressing power for 5 sec. Boot up is always
    the same. Scandisk runs and asks "214324945934 kilobyte fragment has
    been found do you want to delete it?" I delete and the system boots.
    It's routine.

    Perhaps we should talk once I have a new OS or computer system
    altogether. This one is more screwed up than Iraq. I'm not about to
    86 a free Office Jet d135 printer!

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 18, 2006
  5. ChrisCoaster

    Pen Guest

    "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote
    in message
    > In addition to what I just posted, I
    > shut down and restarted the
    > computer as per the driver
    > instructions. Because the poster does
    > not
    > specify when to physically attach the
    > printer to the PC, I connected it
    > while the PC was off. Then I booted
    > up the computer. It still
    > prompted me to locate the drivers for
    > the new hardware, and even when I
    > pointed it to the right folder, "OK"
    > was grayed out and did not allow
    > me to select the location.

    snipped

    >> Go here download the manuals. HPs
    >> typically have a particular install
    >> routine which must be obeyed. This
    >> machine is no exception.
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?product=64986&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

    If you read the poster #1 and /or the
    manual it would clearly explain the
    whole operation to you. I fail to
    comprehend how the very clear
    instructions
    are confusing to you.

    1. Install the software. Reboot the
    computer if required. quote "verify that
    the machine restarts"
    2. Put the printer together.
    3. Connect all cables, including the
    USB cable.
    4. Turn the all in one machine on.

    Pen, Jun 18, 2006
  6. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Pen wrote:

    > If you read the poster #1 and /or the
    > manual it would clearly explain the
    > whole operation to you. I fail to
    > comprehend how the very clear
    > instructions
    > are confusing to you.

    That depends upon your perspective.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 19, 2006
  7. ChrisCoaster

    Pen Guest

    "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote
    in message

    > Pen wrote:
    >
    >> If you read the poster #1 and /or the
    >> manual it would clearly explain the
    >> whole operation to you. I fail to
    >> comprehend how the very clear
    >> instructions
    >> are confusing to you.
    >>

    > That depends upon your perspective.
    >
    > -CC

    I see, which part of
    "verify that the machine restarts"
    confused you?

    Pen, Jun 19, 2006
  8. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Pen wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote
    > in message
    > >
    > > Pen wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you read the poster #1 and /or the
    > >> manual it would clearly explain the
    > >> whole operation to you. I fail to
    > >> comprehend how the very clear
    > >> instructions
    > >> are confusing to you.
    > >>

    > > That depends upon your perspective.
    > >
    > > -CC

    > I see, which part of
    > "verify that the machine restarts"
    > confused you?

    I will no longer respond to you since you seem to not have picked up
    the hint that I am learning disabled.

    -ChrisCoaster
    "There is a difference between dumb and slow, and I am hardly the
    former"

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 20, 2006