    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Nov 1, 2010

  2. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 2/11/2010 11:39 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hi gang.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience of the machine in the subject? I can get one
    > relatively cheaply (with a duff battery) and am wondering if they are any
    > good. It would be my Xmas present to self, a 'new' toy. Also, how
    > user-friendly is XP tablet edition?
    >
    > Thanks for any input. (I've been reading reviews but am looking for any
    > personal experience from people I 'know'.)
    >
    > HAND.<g>

    THey were way too slow to actually use when new, and I dont think it
    supported both ends of the stylus either.

    Richard, Nov 2, 2010

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 2/11/2010 11:39 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hi gang.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any experience of the machine in the subject? I can
    >> get one relatively cheaply (with a duff battery) and am wondering if
    >> they are any good. It would be my Xmas present to self, a 'new' toy.
    >> Also, how user-friendly is XP tablet edition?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input. (I've been reading reviews but am looking for
    >> any personal experience from people I 'know'.)
    >>
    >> HAND.<g>

    > IME tablet PCs are slow, tedious, underpowered, and did I mention
    > slow. Buy a bottle of Scotch for yourself for Xmas instead - you'll
    > enjoy it more.

    Heh! Thanks for the input. Rather than the Scotch I think I'll look into a
    water filter. This damn Pukekohe water is so disgusting it's difficult to
    keep properly hydrated. Trouble is it'll have to be multi-stage filtration
    as at least twice a month the water get's so gross that, if you fill a 10
    litre bucket, you can't see the bottom.

    Add to that the fact the tap water here is so high in nitrates (and
    phosphates) due to all the fertiliser run-off that it actually doesn't meet
    WHO standards[1] and I don't think I can avoid getting a filtration system
    for much longer. Trouble is it's a bitch when you're renting.... I might
    have to get a system designed for under-bench use but wall-mount it above
    the bench and use a 'laundry tap' to feed it so I'm not chopping into copper
    and drilling holes in the bench-top. It'll look a bit ugly but then at least
    I'll match my surrounds. <g>

    [1] If anyone in Pukekohe is using tap water to mix up formula for a baby
    then they're risking a lot. Nitrates as high as I've measured here interfere
    with the blood's ability to carry oxygen. Not to the extent that it'll badly
    effect a healthy adult but the very young and the very old are at risk.
    --
    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Nov 2, 2010
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 2/11/2010 11:39 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hi gang.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any experience of the machine in the subject? I can
    >> get one relatively cheaply (with a duff battery) and am wondering if
    >> they are any good. It would be my Xmas present to self, a 'new' toy.
    >> Also, how user-friendly is XP tablet edition?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input. (I've been reading reviews but am looking for
    >> any personal experience from people I 'know'.)
    >>
    >> HAND.<g>

    > THey were way too slow to actually use when new, and I dont think it
    > supported both ends of the stylus either.

    Cool, thanks Richard. With a little more time to think about it I've decided
    I have more urgent uses for any 'spare' <cough> money. (I've been given a
    few bucks as an early Xmas present and have been told to 'spend it on
    myself'.)

    I used to be more impulsive but I'm learning to curb the urges. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Nov 2, 2010
  5. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    On 3/11/2010 12:11 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >> On 2/11/2010 11:39 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Hi gang.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any experience of the machine in the subject? I can
    >>> get one relatively cheaply (with a duff battery) and am wondering if
    >>> they are any good. It would be my Xmas present to self, a 'new' toy.
    >>> Also, how user-friendly is XP tablet edition?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any input. (I've been reading reviews but am looking for
    >>> any personal experience from people I 'know'.)
    >>>
    >>> HAND.<g>

    >> IME tablet PCs are slow, tedious, underpowered, and did I mention
    >> slow. Buy a bottle of Scotch for yourself for Xmas instead - you'll
    >> enjoy it more.

    > Heh! Thanks for the input. Rather than the Scotch I think I'll look into a
    > water filter. This damn Pukekohe water is so disgusting it's difficult to
    > keep properly hydrated. Trouble is it'll have to be multi-stage filtration
    > as at least twice a month the water get's so gross that, if you fill a 10
    > litre bucket, you can't see the bottom.
    >
    > Add to that the fact the tap water here is so high in nitrates (and
    > phosphates) due to all the fertiliser run-off that it actually doesn't meet
    > WHO standards[1] and I don't think I can avoid getting a filtration system
    > for much longer. Trouble is it's a bitch when you're renting.... I might
    > have to get a system designed for under-bench use but wall-mount it above
    > the bench and use a 'laundry tap' to feed it so I'm not chopping into copper
    > and drilling holes in the bench-top. It'll look a bit ugly but then at least
    > I'll match my surrounds.<g>
    >
    > [1] If anyone in Pukekohe is using tap water to mix up formula for a baby
    > then they're risking a lot. Nitrates as high as I've measured here interfere
    > with the blood's ability to carry oxygen. Not to the extent that it'll badly
    > effect a healthy adult but the very young and the very old are at risk.

    But look at the upside; you can water you're garden (and the rhubarb)
    and fertilize it at the same time.

    bugalugs, Nov 3, 2010
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    > On 3/11/2010 12:11 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Add to that the fact the tap water here is so high in nitrates (and
    >> phosphates) due to all the fertiliser run-off that it actually
    >> doesn't meet WHO standards[1] and I don't think I can avoid getting
    >> a filtration system for much longer. Trouble is it's a bitch when
    >> you're renting.... I might have to get a system designed for
    >> under-bench use but wall-mount it above the bench and use a 'laundry
    >> tap' to feed it so I'm not chopping into copper and drilling holes
    >> in the bench-top. It'll look a bit ugly but then at least I'll match
    >> my surrounds.<g> [1] If anyone in Pukekohe is using tap water to mix up
    >> formula for a
    >> baby then they're risking a lot. Nitrates as high as I've measured
    >> here interfere with the blood's ability to carry oxygen. Not to the
    >> extent that it'll badly effect a healthy adult but the very young
    >> and the very old are at risk.

    > But look at the upside; you can water you're garden (and the rhubarb)
    > and fertilize it at the same time.

    Heh! Well, there's that. It *is* a problem for aquariums though as usually
    you do a water change to /reduce/ nitrates.

    BTW the rhubarb's going really well. Far better than some I grew from seed
    and also better than some I sourced from elsewhere. They've both been
    expunged and I just have yours growing now. :)

    ~misfit~, Nov 4, 2010
  7. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    On 4/11/2010 11:48 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    >> On 3/11/2010 12:11 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> Add to that the fact the tap water here is so high in nitrates (and
    >>> phosphates) due to all the fertiliser run-off that it actually
    >>> doesn't meet WHO standards[1] and I don't think I can avoid getting
    >>> a filtration system for much longer. Trouble is it's a bitch when
    >>> you're renting.... I might have to get a system designed for
    >>> under-bench use but wall-mount it above the bench and use a 'laundry
    >>> tap' to feed it so I'm not chopping into copper and drilling holes
    >>> in the bench-top. It'll look a bit ugly but then at least I'll match
    >>> my surrounds.<g> [1] If anyone in Pukekohe is using tap water to mix up
    >>> formula for a
    >>> baby then they're risking a lot. Nitrates as high as I've measured
    >>> here interfere with the blood's ability to carry oxygen. Not to the
    >>> extent that it'll badly effect a healthy adult but the very young
    >>> and the very old are at risk.

    >> But look at the upside; you can water you're garden (and the rhubarb)
    >> and fertilize it at the same time.

    > Heh! Well, there's that. It *is* a problem for aquariums though as usually
    > you do a water change to /reduce/ nitrates.
    >
    > BTW the rhubarb's going really well. Far better than some I grew from seed
    > and also better than some I sourced from elsewhere. They've both been
    > expunged and I just have yours growing now. :)

    A good strain that one. Originally got it from my parents place in 1957
    and it's moved around with me ever since. Had a bit of a problem last
    autumn when I tried to weed the garden with Roundup. Must have been a
    little spray-drift coz it was sick for a few months.

    bugalugs, Nov 4, 2010
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    > On 4/11/2010 11:48 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    >>> On 3/11/2010 12:11 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> [snip]
    >>>

    >>> But look at the upside; you can water you're garden (and the
    >>> rhubarb) and fertilize it at the same time.

    >> Heh! Well, there's that. It *is* a problem for aquariums though as
    >> usually you do a water change to /reduce/ nitrates.
    >>
    >> BTW the rhubarb's going really well. Far better than some I grew
    >> from seed and also better than some I sourced from elsewhere.
    >> They've both been expunged and I just have yours growing now. :)

    > A good strain that one.

    I'll say, strong, 'drought' resistant and vigourous. Tasty too.

    > Originally got it from my parents place in
    > 1957 and it's moved around with me ever since. Had a bit of a problem
    > last autumn when I tried to weed the garden with Roundup. Must have
    > been a little spray-drift coz it was sick for a few months.

    Oh well, if you ever get even more reckless with the herbicides you always
    know where you can get some of it back from. :)

    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2010