HP Compaq dc7600 form factor drivers problem after windowsre-install.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Den, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. Den

    Den Guest

    Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help.

    A mate of mine thinks I am an expert on computers (which I'm not) and
    foolishly trusted me to work on his PC. He asked me to re-install
    windows on his HP Compaq dc7600 form factor PC. I set the PC to boot
    from the CD drive, and intalled a fresh copy of windows XP Pro. This
    worked ok, however in the hardware device manager it says the ethernet
    controller, an unknown PCI device and the USB ports need drivers. I do
    not know the exact part numbers or manufacturers of these components
    (or indeed what the unknown PCI device is!) so I'm now stuck.

    They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and in this case it
    is certainly true. Can anyone help with this?
    I downloaded a thing called 'driver detective' but havent used it yet
    - does anyone know if this tool is any good?

    Anyway, thanks in advance - Den.

    Den, Mar 16, 2009

  2. On 16 Mar, 12:04, philo <> wrote:
    > Den wrote:
    > > Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help.

    > > A mate of mine thinks I am an expert on computers (which I'm not) and
    > > foolishly trusted me to work on his PC. He asked me to re-install
    > > windows on his HP Compaq dc7600 form factor PC. I set the PC to boot
    > > from the CD drive, and intalled a fresh copy of windows XP Pro. This
    > > worked ok, however in the hardware device manager it says the ethernet
    > > controller, an unknown PCI device and the USB ports need drivers. I do
    > > not know the exact part numbers or manufacturers of these components
    > > (or indeed what the unknown PCI device is!) so I'm now stuck.

    > > They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and in this case it
    > > is certainly true. Can anyone help with this?
    > > I downloaded a thing called 'driver detective' but havent used it yet
    > > - does anyone know if this tool is any good?

    > > Anyway, thanks in advance - Den.

    > Just go the the mfg's website and look up that machine and download the
    > drivers.
    >
    > Burn them to a cd and install the drivers on the machine.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Phil,

    I went to the HP site, but there are literally hundreds of driver
    files, but I can't see anything specific for ethernet controllers. Can
    this device be referred to by another name (ie network device) as
    there seems to be loads of those there.

    Cheers.

    Worried and Guilty Drinker, Mar 16, 2009

  3. On 16 Mar, 19:04, G. Morgan <> wrote:
    > Worried and Guilty Drinker wrote:
    >
    > >I went to theHPsite, but there are literally hundreds of driver
    > >files, but I can't see anything specific for ethernet controllers. Can
    > >this device be referred to by another name (ie network device) as
    > >there seems to be loads of those there.

    > You didn't look very hard.http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?la...
    >
    > --
    > "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5
    >
    > **Important Update**
    > Magic goat detained for armed robbery:http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=13298291

    Hello G.Morgan - thanks for your input. I actually found that site,
    but for the life of me I can't seem to find a driver for an ethernet
    controller! I don't know what I'm doing wrong here - it may be obvious
    to folks here, but I could do with a definite pointer to the driver I
    need.

    Apologies for my ignorance, and thanks in advance,

    Den.

    Worried and Guilty Drinker, Mar 17, 2009
  4. Den

    G. Morgan Guest

    Re: HP Compaq dc7600 form factor drivers problem after windows re-install.

    Worried and Guilty Drinker wrote:

    >Hello G.Morgan - thanks for your input. I actually found that site,
    >but for the life of me I can't seem to find a driver for an ethernet
    >controller! I don't know what I'm doing wrong here - it may be obvious
    >to folks here, but I could do with a definite pointer to the driver I
    >need.

    Click on "Driver - Network"

    Get either:
    "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Drivers for Microsoft Windows XP/2000"
    or
    "Intel Gigabit Network Connection Drivers for Microsoft Windows XP"

    _____

    You need to determine which card chip is in there, Broadcom or Intel. You can
    get this from the PCI device properties or run a 3-rd party app like SIW.

    http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
    Get "SIW Standalone (English-Only)"

    G. Morgan, Mar 18, 2009
  5. Re: HP Compaq dc7600 form factor drivers problem after windows re-install.

    Worried and Guilty Drinker wrote:
    > On 16 Mar, 19:04, G. Morgan <> wrote:
    >> Worried and Guilty Drinker wrote:
    >>
    >>> I went to theHPsite, but there are literally hundreds of driver
    >>> files, but I can't see anything specific for ethernet controllers. Can
    >>> this device be referred to by another name (ie network device) as
    >>> there seems to be loads of those there.

    >> You didn't look very hard.http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?la...
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5
    >>
    >> **Important Update**
    >> Magic goat detained for armed robbery:http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=13298291

    > Hello G.Morgan - thanks for your input. I actually found that site,
    > but for the life of me I can't seem to find a driver for an ethernet
    > controller! I don't know what I'm doing wrong here - it may be obvious
    > to folks here, but I could do with a definite pointer to the driver I
    > need.
    >
    > Apologies for my ignorance, and thanks in advance,
    >
    > Den.

    First: calm down. Second: smoke a fatty...it'll help you think straight.
    Download this:http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

    And run it...it'll list your hardware...*then* you can find the driver
    more better with increased easyness.

    HTH

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 18, 2009
  6. On 18 Mar, 21:28, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > Worried and Guilty Drinker wrote:

    > >> You didn't look very hard.http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?la...

    > >> --
    > >> "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5

    > >> **Important Update**
    > >> Magic goat detained for armed robbery:http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=13298291

    > > Hello G.Morgan - thanks for your input. I actually found that site,
    > > but for the life of me I can't seem to find a driver for an ethernet
    > > controller! I don't know what I'm doing wrong here - it may be obvious
    > > to folks here, but I could do with a definite pointer to the driver I
    > > need.

    > > Apologies for my ignorance, and thanks in advance,

    > > Den.

    > First: calm down. Second: smoke a fatty...it'll help you think straight.
    > Download this:http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
    >
    > And run it...it'll list your hardware...*then* you can find the driver
    > more better with increased easyness.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --http://www.palindeception.com/http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks a lot mate, I appreciate it - that will be a great help!

    By the way, I will also take the advice about smoking the fatty!

    Chhers mate! - Den.

    Worried and Guilty Drinker, Mar 19, 2009