    lurk Guest

    I picked up a hp computer from a state auction.....the bios is
    passworded..how can I reset the password or bypass it........thanks

    lurk, Nov 4, 2007

  2. lurk

    Guest

    "lurk" <> wrote:

    >I picked up a hp computer from a state auction.....the bios is
    >passworded..how can I reset the password or bypass it........thanks

    If your lucky, just remove the BIOS battery and unplug the computer,
    letting it sit for awhile.
    --

    Loyal to the end
    http://i3.tinypic.com/62n4i02.jpg

    , Nov 4, 2007

  3. lurk

    Fred Kasner Guest

    lurk wrote:
    > I picked up a hp computer from a state auction.....the bios is
    > passworded..how can I reset the password or bypass it........thanks

    Almost certainly there is a jumper on the mother board that if removed
    will reset the computer on boot up and produce the original condition of
    the computer when it was manufactured. Get a instruction installation
    manual from HP for this model for an indication which jumper it is.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Nov 4, 2007
  4. lurk

    VanguardLH Guest

    "lurk" wrote in message
    >I picked up a hp computer from a state auction.....the bios is
    >passworded..how can I reset the password or bypass
    >it........thanks

    If the password could be bypassed, why would they bother providing
    that hardware-based feature?

    A computer. Well, what could that be? A desktop unit or a laptop?
    Desktops can be opened and a jumper shorted to clear the CMOS table
    which will then load with the factory BIOS defaults. You could just
    go to HP's web site and read their online manuals for your model that
    you didn't bother to mention.

    Considering the source of those gov't auctioned properties, you might
    want to wipe the hard disk(s) before booting to them. See
    www.killdisk.com.

    VanguardLH, Nov 4, 2007