    Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian Academy
    of Design
    Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Sep 26, 2006

  2. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Mark² Guest

    Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > HP has announced the new Z printers. The big feature is a built-in
    > spectro-photometer so
    > you can profile any paper yourself. Details here:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=690>
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne

    These look very interesting. -Especially their approach to integrating
    color management and profiling with hardware solutions keyed to the printer
    itself, along with providing monitor calibration.

    It looks like Epson may finally have a serious competitor to deal with, and
    that's a good thing.

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Sep 27, 2006

  3. These are real nice printers. I was fortunate enough to spend time
    evaluating the printers over at the development center in Barcelona and
    talking to and offering feedback to the development engineers.

    The spectrophotometer is a serious model and the supplied HP software
    looks to be pretty good. Third party profiling companies are producing
    software and drivers to support the spectrophotometer with their
    software for even more capability in terms of producing, editing and
    fine tuning the profiles.

    The ink technology looked solid to me in the time I had with them and I
    am awaiting a development machine here for detailed testing and
    evaluation. Both color and BW prints looked very impressive.

    They are not perfect for all applications, yet. For example they have
    output rollers, which can be an issue when printing on non-absorbant
    material, like aluminum. However four screws seemed to be all that held
    them on, and so I would anticipate an easy removal for those who need to.

    The printers seemed very solidly made too.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Sep 27, 2006
  4. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Noons Guest

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > It looks like Epson may finally have a serious competitor to deal with, and
    > that's a good thing.

    as a prior Epson photo print user and now a HP user, all I can
    say is: thank God for that!

    HP are right in their campaign about saving ink: my 8750
    just starts printing, period. None of the head-cleaning rigmarole
    I had to go through with the E everytime I tried to use it.

    Those who print a lot and often might not notice it, those
    who print once in a while WILL definitely see the diff!

    Noons, Oct 1, 2006