HP and IE

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ardent, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    Hi all

    I recently purchased a HP Deskjet and tried to install it by running
    the setup program on the software CD that came with the printer.

    It refused to install saying that my machine is does not have IE
    installed!

    (Well I have no IE, thanks to 98lite.)

    I understand Microsoft rooting for IE but why should HP need IE just
    for the printer. Does IE in any way control the printing functions?
    IMHO IE may be required to read the manuals may be but it is too much
    to refuse installation unless you have IE installed.

    Is it not erosion of the customers' privileges?

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only
    Ardent, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Ardent

    The Prophecy Guest

    Simplest way to get around this is to install IE.

    Internet Explorer 6:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/2/c/22cae35f-d96f-45ad-90f6-f81263911eb7/Q831167.exe

    The Prophecy, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    "Ardent" <> wrote in message

    > Hi all
    >
    > I recently purchased a HP Deskjet and tried to install it by running
    > the setup program on the software CD that came with the printer.
    >
    > It refused to install saying that my machine is does not have IE
    > installed!
    >
    > (Well I have no IE, thanks to 98lite.)
    >
    > I understand Microsoft rooting for IE but why should HP need IE just
    > for the printer. Does IE in any way control the printing functions?
    > IMHO IE may be required to read the manuals may be but it is too much
    > to refuse installation unless you have IE installed.
    >
    > Is it not erosion of the customers' privileges?

    You might be able to install the printer driver manually via the windows
    "add printer" utility, then point it to the setup files. Of course if it
    works, you'll probably only get the raw driver, and none of the extra stuff
    like the HP toolbox, or HP center software that the front-end installer
    usually installs along with the drivers. Other than that, bitch about it to
    HP tech support, or buy something else. HP can set it up as they like.
    Customers have no privelages or right to dictate what the system
    requirements will be.
    Thor, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Ardent

    mark mandel Guest

    "Ardent" <> wrote in message

    > Hi all
    >
    > I recently purchased a HP Deskjet and tried to install it by running
    > the setup program on the software CD that came with the printer.
    >
    > It refused to install saying that my machine is does not have IE
    > installed!
    >
    > (Well I have no IE, thanks to 98lite.)
    >
    > I understand Microsoft rooting for IE but why should HP need IE just
    > for the printer. Does IE in any way control the printing functions?
    > IMHO IE may be required to read the manuals may be but it is too much
    > to refuse installation unless you have IE installed.
    >
    > Is it not erosion of the customers' privileges?
    >
    > --
    > Sandy Archer
    > Reply to newsgroups only

    You might consider installing Mozilla Firefox 0.9 just to see if that's
    compatible with the printer.
    mark mandel, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:31:22 GMT, Ardent <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I recently purchased a HP Deskjet and tried to install it by running
    >the setup program on the software CD that came with the printer.
    >
    >It refused to install saying that my machine is does not have IE
    >installed!
    >
    >(Well I have no IE, thanks to 98lite.)
    >
    >I understand Microsoft rooting for IE but why should HP need IE just
    >for the printer. Does IE in any way control the printing functions?
    >IMHO IE may be required to read the manuals may be but it is too much
    >to refuse installation unless you have IE installed.
    >
    >Is it not erosion of the customers' privileges?

    Try installing thru Control Panel...Add New Printer. Browse the CD
    first...so that you know where the drivers are at when you have to
    point 98 to it.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jun 26, 2004