    stories to share, hints, etc?

    Thanks.
    Aaron

    Aaron Zarlos, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Aaron Zarlos

    Daniel Guest

    Hi Aaron,

    Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP specifically?
    (i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)

    Daniel, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Daniel wrote:

    > Hi Aaron,
    >
    > Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP
    > specifically?
    > (i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
    >
    >> I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which
    >> of HP
    >> Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
    >> stories to share, hints, etc?

    Compaq computers have nice well engineered cases that come apart easily
    without tools. Yet to see anything as good in HP stuff.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Aaron Zarlos

    Daniel Guest

    Aaron Zarlos wrote:
    > I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which of HP
    > Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
    > stories to share, hints, etc?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Aaron

    One thing that annoys me about both is the 5GB of disk space used for the restore
    partition (last I checked), and the amount of spyware one gets out-of-the-box.

    Also, last time I checked, depending on the retailer, if you open the box, then
    you void the warranty.

    Daniel, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Aaron Zarlos

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Aaron Zarlos wrote:
    >
    >> I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which
    >> of HP
    >> Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
    >> stories to share, hints, etc?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Aaron
    >>

    > One thing that annoys me about both is the 5GB of disk space used for
    > the restore
    > partition (last I checked), and the amount of spyware one gets
    > out-of-the-box.
    >
    > Also, last time I checked, depending on the retailer, if you open the
    > box, then
    > you void the warranty.

    Clarification - I meant when you open the PC Case, for things like memory,
    graphics, and drive installs.

    Daniel, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Aaron Zarlos

    Aaron Zarlos Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Aaron,
    >
    > Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

    specifically?
    > (i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)

    Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
    (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
    Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
    still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
    seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

    Aaron Zarlos, Jun 26, 2004
  7. Aaron Zarlos wrote:

    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi Aaron,
    >>
    >>Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

    > specifically?
    >
    >>(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
    >>

    > Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
    > (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
    > Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
    > still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
    > seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

    Both HP and Compaq and probably Dell yada yada are real pain in the ass
    stuff to find the drivers for. They tend to use obscure hardware that
    Windows doesn't detect and that you have to get drivers for, especially
    older computers.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 26, 2004
  8. Aaron Zarlos

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:18:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >Aaron Zarlos wrote:
    >
    >> "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi Aaron,
    >>>
    >>>Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

    >> specifically?
    >>
    >>>(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
    >>>

    >> Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
    >> (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
    >> Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
    >> still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
    >> seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

    >Both HP and Compaq and probably Dell yada yada are real pain in the ass
    >stuff to find the drivers for. They tend to use obscure hardware that
    >Windows doesn't detect and that you have to get drivers for, especially
    >older computers.

    Either that, or they bundle every friggen OS driver into 1 zip file. A 20MB
    download for a Compaq nic? After a bit of searching I managed to find a 600k 98
    driver, which is all I wanted in the first place. Crazy.

    Invisible, Jun 26, 2004
  9. Aaron Zarlos

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Aaron Zarlos wrote:

    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi Aaron,
    >>
    >>Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

    > specifically?
    >
    >>(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
    >>

    > Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
    > (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
    > Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
    > still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
    > seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

    What I would do (have done, several times) is go to a small local
    computer shop and get a no-name box put together with good quality
    parts, e.g. ASUS m/b, nVidia video card, Seagate drive. This way you
    avoid all the nonstandard "features" of the name brands, which enable
    them to ask higher prices. I see no reason to buy HP or Dell.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jun 26, 2004
  10. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:13:35 +1200, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >Aaron Zarlos wrote:
    >
    >> "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi Aaron,
    >>>
    >>>Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

    >> specifically?
    >>
    >>>(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
    >>>

    >> Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
    >> (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
    >> Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
    >> still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
    >> seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

    >What I would do (have done, several times) is go to a small local
    >computer shop and get a no-name box put together with good quality
    >parts, e.g. ASUS m/b, nVidia video card, Seagate drive. This way you
    >avoid all the nonstandard "features" of the name brands, which enable
    >them to ask higher prices. I see no reason to buy HP or Dell.
    >
    >Gib

    I fully Agree 200%

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 26, 2004
  11. Aaron Zarlos

    David Preece Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Compaq computers have nice well engineered cases that come apart easily
    > without tools. Yet to see anything as good in HP stuff.

    The new HP corporate desktops are much like this. I imagine they're
    badge engineered Compaq's.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 26, 2004
  12. Aaron Zarlos

    David Preece Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > What I would do (have done, several times) is go to a small local
    > computer shop and get a no-name box put together with good quality
    > parts, e.g. ASUS m/b, nVidia video card, Seagate drive. This way you
    > avoid all the nonstandard "features" of the name brands, which enable
    > them to ask higher prices.

    *Higher* prices?

    > I see no reason to buy HP or Dell.

    They design the machine, then test it to death. The white box guys can't
    do this. I always find HP/Dell corporate machines to be much quieter
    than whitebox machines, but there's an ever present danger that you're
    not going to be able to - say - replace the power supply with an off the
    shelf cheapie.

    I have a suspicion we are going to need a new PC at work and that'll be
    a Dell.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 26, 2004
  13. Aaron Zarlos

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <fAlDc.4725$>,
    David Preece <> wrote:

    >I have a suspicion we are going to need a new PC at work and that'll be
    >a Dell.

    Dude!

    Don Hills, Jun 27, 2004
  14. Aaron Zarlos

    Daniel Guest

    Packard Bell (NEC) seem to offer good bang for buck. Not sure about their
    reputation.

    Dell service is _apalling_. Well, for the consumer at the bottom of the food
    chain it certainly is. However, buying a Dell through the Warehouse may be
    a different story.

    In brief:
    * If you can pay cash, then buy from Dick Smith (Warehouse, second choice).
    * If you can only afford hire purchase, then goto Farmers (problem is they only
    do Acer or Hyundai at the moment).

    * I _don't_ recommend Noel Leeming/Bond & Bond/Big Byte.

    Cheers.

    Daniel, Jun 27, 2004
  15. Aaron Zarlos

    Rich Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Packard Bell (NEC) seem to offer good bang for buck. Not sure about their
    > reputation.
    >
    > Dell service is _apalling_. Well, for the consumer at the bottom of the

    food
    > chain it certainly is. However, buying a Dell through the Warehouse may be
    > a different story.
    >
    > In brief:
    > * If you can pay cash, then buy from Dick Smith (Warehouse, second

    choice).
    > * If you can only afford hire purchase, then goto Farmers (problem is they

    only
    > do Acer or Hyundai at the moment).

    Farmers are going out of computers, might make it hard to get
    service/support down the track perhaps?

    > * I _don't_ recommend Noel Leeming/Bond & Bond/Big Byte.

    Why?

    Rich, Jun 27, 2004
  16. Aaron Zarlos

    Rich Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    > > Aaron Zarlos wrote:
    > >
    > >> I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which
    > >> of HP
    > >> Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
    > >> stories to share, hints, etc?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >> Aaron
    > >>

    > > One thing that annoys me about both is the 5GB of disk space used for
    > > the restore
    > > partition (last I checked), and the amount of spyware one gets
    > > out-of-the-box.
    > >
    > > Also, last time I checked, depending on the retailer, if you open the
    > > box, then
    > > you void the warranty.

    > Clarification - I meant when you open the PC Case, for things like memory,
    > graphics, and drive installs.

    Um, I don't think so. They can't do that anyway, you probably want to check
    your information. Compaq/HP have a 'DOA' sticker - if it is broken it means
    you can't get it swapped for a new unit within the first 14 days if it were
    to break down - it would need to go away for repair. Packard Bell NEC have a
    QA sticker which means nothing other than it has been inspected before it
    went into the box.

    Rich, Jun 27, 2004
  17. Aaron Zarlos

    Daniel Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Packard Bell (NEC) seem to offer good bang for buck. Not sure about their
    >>reputation.
    >>
    >>Dell service is _apalling_. Well, for the consumer at the bottom of the

    > food
    >
    >>chain it certainly is. However, buying a Dell through the Warehouse may be
    >>a different story.
    >>
    >>In brief:
    >>* If you can pay cash, then buy from Dick Smith (Warehouse, second

    > choice).
    >
    >>* If you can only afford hire purchase, then goto Farmers (problem is they

    > only
    >
    >>do Acer or Hyundai at the moment).

    > Farmers are going out of computers, might make it hard to get
    > service/support down the track perhaps?
    >

    >>* I _don't_ recommend Noel Leeming/Bond & Bond/Big Byte.

    > Why?

    After-sales service. The "service" that really counts (i.e. not pre-sales).

    Daniel, Jun 27, 2004
  18. Aaron Zarlos

    Daniel Guest

    My cousin's 18 month old HP has a green sticker/seal on the back of the case that
    basically says if you break it, and you are not an "authorised" service technician
    then the manufacturer warranty is voided.

    I have just confirmed this is indeed still the case.

    So, it would appear that irrespective of retailer, for HP/Compaq PC's you fiddle at
    your own risk. This limitation comes from HP.

    However, I can also confirm that if you get the retailer to install additional
    components at the time of purchase (i.e. more memory, graphics card, 2nd HDD),
    then that's okay - I guess they just put another sticker on the back after the job.
    DSE allow this, not sure about other retailers.

    But, it's good that Packard Bell don't have the same limitation (might pay if
    someone could confirm).

    Daniel, Jun 28, 2004
  19. Aaron Zarlos

    Daniel Guest

    Hi Aaron,

    If you do decide to get a PC from DSE, then a few notes that might be helpful:

    * The 2-year extended warranty is only $120 (or thereabouts), well worth it for the
    price.

    * If you can, go to a "genuine" DSE store, not to be confused with an Authorised
    Distributor. The genuine stores are listed in the Store Locations page of DSE website.
    From my experience an authorised dealer doesn't provide service as good as the
    genuine stores. I do wonder if a conflict-of-interest exists there?

    * When checking for available products use the search panel. They do have a map, but,
    for some reason they often don't have links to all their products. If you want to see the
    full range of products then use the search panel - it can sometimes be the only way
    to find a product that used to be on "New Products", but, is no longer there because
    it's been available for more than 14 days (i.e. use keys like "acer", "compaq",
    "samurai" etc.)

    * Don't forget to barter. I'm not talking downtown market haggling, but, just
    ask them what kind of price they can do such and such for - you'll be surprised.

    Daniel, Jun 28, 2004
  20. In article <fAlDc.4725$>,
    says...
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    > > What I would do (have done, several times) is go to a small local
    > > computer shop and get a no-name box put together with good quality
    > > parts, e.g. ASUS m/b, nVidia video card, Seagate drive. This way you
    > > avoid all the nonstandard "features" of the name brands, which enable
    > > them to ask higher prices.

    > *Higher* prices?
    >
    > > I see no reason to buy HP or Dell.

    > They design the machine, then test it to death. The white box guys can't
    > do this. I always find HP/Dell corporate machines to be much quieter
    > than whitebox machines, but there's an ever present danger that you're
    > not going to be able to - say - replace the power supply with an off the
    > shelf cheapie.
    >
    > I have a suspicion we are going to need a new PC at work and that'll be
    > a Dell.

    Why?

    Insite is making a lot of good stuff these days, they even use low
    profile Chenbro desktop cases, nice little things that don't have the
    footprint of a tower on its side.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 28, 2004