    This is the jack that plugs directly into the laptop.
    TIA
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Mar 24, 2008

  2. Have you tried Radio Shack?

    These jacks are common parts, and ought to be available on the open market.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 25, 2008

  3. Ronald Murray

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > Have you tried Radio Shack?
    >
    > These jacks are common parts, and ought to be available on the open market.

    This is my stab at it. The problem with a lot of electronics, is there are
    a zillion variables and dimensions to take into consideration. In the
    following, I only consulted one manufacturer's solution, while there could
    be a ton of Chinese knockoffs out there somewhere. And it is hard to say,
    whether the following solutions, even look remotely similar to the broken jack.

    First, this is the Adaptaplug listing, which is the plug part of the powering
    thing. The nearest one to the stated dimensions, is "Size C", at 4.75/1.70mm.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptaplug#RadioShack_Adaptaplug_Conversion_Matrix

    * Size A: 2.35 mm OD × 0.70 mm ID (EIAJ-01 for up to 3.15 V; yellow ring RS #273-1704)
    * Size B: 4.00 mm OD × 1.70 mm ID (EIAJ-02 for 3.15–6.3 V; yellow ring—RS #273-1705)
    * Size C: 4.75 mm OD × 1.70 mm ID (EIAJ-03 for 6.3-10.5 V; yellow ring—RS #273-1706)
    * Size D: 5.50 mm OD × 3.30 mm ID with 1.0 mm pin (EIAJ-04 for 10.5-13.5 V; yellow ring RS #273-1707)
    * Size E: 2.50 mm (3/32"2.5 mm) submini plug (black ring—RS #273-1708)
    * Size F: 3.50 mm (1/8"/3.5 mm) mini plug (black ring RS #273-1709)
    * Size G: 3.00 mm OD × 1.10 mm ID (Turquoise ring—RS # 273-1710)
    * Size H: 3.40 mm OD × 1.30 mm ID (Orange ring RS #273-1711)
    * Size I: 3.80 mm OD × 1.10 mm ID (Pink ring—RS #273-1712)
    * Size J: 5.00 mm OD × 1.50 mm ID (Red ring—RS #273-1713)
    * Size K: 5.00 mm OD × 2.10 mm ID (Purple ring—RS #273-1714)
    * Size L: 5.00 mm OD × 2.50 mm ID (Dark Green ring—RS #273-1715)
    * Size M: 5.50 mm OD × 2.10 mm ID (Navy ring—RS #273-1716)
    * Size N: 5.50 mm OD × 2.50 mm ID (White ring—RS #273-1717)
    * Size O: 5.50 mm OD × 2.80 mm ID (Brown ring—RS #273-1718)
    * Size P: 5.50 mm OD × 3.80 mm ID with 1.80 mm pin (no specified color—RS #273-1719)
    * Size Q: 6.30 mm OD × 3.00 mm ID (Yellow-Green ring—RS #273-1720)
    * Size R: 6.90 mm OD × 4.20 mm ID with 0.70 mm pin (no specified color—RS #273-1721)
    * Size S: 5.50 mm OD × 1.50 mm ID with 1.80 mm pin (Gray ring—RS #273-1722)
    * Size T: 6.50 mm OD × 4.30 mm ID with 1.40 mm pin (EIAJ-05 for 13.5-18.0 V; yellow ring—RS #273-1723)
    * Size U: 6.50 mm OD × 4.10 mm/3.10 mm ID with 1.00 mm pin (Light-Yellow ring—RS #273-1724)

    On this site, Size C is the same as "PP-014". At least, assuming the barrel is
    9.5mm long (something to check).

    http://www.cui.com/srchresults.asp?catky=619701&subcatky=536892&subcatky2=176983

    Figure 29 and Figure 30 here, mate with PP-014. Figure 29 is thru-hole, Figure 30 is surface mount.
    They are jacks, to match PP-014 plug. You would solder these to the laptop.

    http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T081/P0438.pdf

    The parts listing is on the next page (where I discovered the mating information),
    next to the entry for Figure 29 and 30. They are under a buck each, if they are
    actual substitutes. Figure 29 is a thru-hole solution, meaning the legs solder
    into holes in the PCB. (You remove the excess solder currently present, with
    solder wick or a solder sucker and soldering iron.)

    http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T081/P0439.pdf

    This is the datasheet and picture for Figure 29 thru-hole.

    http://www.cui.com/pdffiles/PJ1-021.pdf
    http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/CUI Inc/Web Photo/New Photos/PJ1-021.jpg

    This is the datasheet and picture for Figure 30 SMT. The two plastic pegs,
    offer mechanical support. If they were long enough, you could melt (swage)
    the ends, to hold them in place. But they might only be long enough, to prevent
    X-Y movement of the connector.

    http://www.cui.com/pdffiles/PJ1-021-SMT.pdf
    http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/CUI Inc/Web Photo/New Photos/PJ1-021-SMT.jpg

    The thru-hole one has one plastic peg.

    Now, whether these are any good, is purely up to the person doing the
    substitution, because there will be many variations on a common theme.
    I believe some of these assemblies, used to be longer than the ones
    selected above.

    You purchase them here.

    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=CP1-021-ND
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=CP1-021PJCT-ND

    Hope that helps,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 25, 2008
  4. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fsa2id$645$...
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> Have you tried Radio Shack?
    >>
    >> These jacks are common parts, and ought to be available on the open
    >> market.
    >>

    > This is my stab at it. The problem with a lot of electronics, is there are
    > a zillion variables and dimensions to take into consideration. In the
    > following, I only consulted one manufacturer's solution, while there could
    > be a ton of Chinese knockoffs out there somewhere. And it is hard to say,
    > whether the following solutions, even look remotely similar to the broken
    > jack.
    >
    > First, this is the Adaptaplug listing, which is the plug part of the
    > powering
    > thing. The nearest one to the stated dimensions, is "Size C", at
    > 4.75/1.70mm.

    This is the one. All of the rest is chatter.

    You are only off .050 (50 thousandths) on the outside diameter, which is
    contacted by a spring with far more than 0.050 of travel. The internal
    diameter (the part that fits over a pin) is the right size.

    You can buy the plug and test it on your computer before you connect the
    wires. If it fits you proceed with the repair, if not then you have to find
    another plug.

    One could salvage the connector off of another power supply if they saved
    these things. I have, literally, a dozen old power supplies just for thos
    purpose. I find that many power supplies are identical in physical size and
    shape, and put out the same voltage but provide varying amps. If the amps
    provided is greater than the load, then the supply will work fine. An old
    supply that gives 3v @ 500mA can be replaced with a new supply that gives 3v
    @750mA with no problem for the load. You can't replace a 750mA supply with a
    500mA supply because the current drop will affect the voltage supplied. More
    current is okay, less current will cause problems.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 25, 2008
  5. Ronald Murray

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fsa2id$645$...
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>> Have you tried Radio Shack?
    >>>
    >>> These jacks are common parts, and ought to be available on the open
    >>> market.
    >>>

    >> This is my stab at it. The problem with a lot of electronics, is there
    >> are
    >> a zillion variables and dimensions to take into consideration. In the
    >> following, I only consulted one manufacturer's solution, while there
    >> could
    >> be a ton of Chinese knockoffs out there somewhere. And it is hard to say,
    >> whether the following solutions, even look remotely similar to the
    >> broken jack.
    >>
    >> First, this is the Adaptaplug listing, which is the plug part of the
    >> powering
    >> thing. The nearest one to the stated dimensions, is "Size C", at
    >> 4.75/1.70mm.

    > This is the one. All of the rest is chatter.
    >
    > You are only off .050 (50 thousandths) on the outside diameter, which is
    > contacted by a spring with far more than 0.050 of travel. The internal
    > diameter (the part that fits over a pin) is the right size.
    >
    > You can buy the plug and test it on your computer before you connect the
    > wires. If it fits you proceed with the repair, if not then you have to
    > find another plug.
    >
    > One could salvage the connector off of another power supply if they
    > saved these things. I have, literally, a dozen old power supplies just
    > for thos purpose. I find that many power supplies are identical in
    > physical size and shape, and put out the same voltage but provide
    > varying amps. If the amps provided is greater than the load, then the
    > supply will work fine. An old supply that gives 3v @ 500mA can be
    > replaced with a new supply that gives 3v @750mA with no problem for the
    > load. You can't replace a 750mA supply with a 500mA supply because the
    > current drop will affect the voltage supplied. More current is okay,
    > less current will cause problems.

    I was thrown off by the word "jack", which is the laptop part.

    There is an example of a "plug" assembly here. 24 gauge wire is
    pretty thin though. Whether this is acceptable, might depend on what
    kind of current flows in the wire.

    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=CP-2199-ND

    In Canada, the fastest solution, would be something like this, with careful
    attention to polarity when reconnecting the thing. The wire on the second
    item, again, looks a bit on the thin side.

    http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/P...ne&category=AC Adapters/Plugs&product=2731706
    http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/P...og=Online&category=Misc_Parts&product=2731641

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 25, 2008
  6. Hello
    Thank-you so much for all the help. I ordered some online. Our local Radio
    Shack (The Source) did not have the one I needed.
    Thanks again
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Mar 27, 2008