HP 8140, W95, CDROM (?)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ben There, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Ben There

    Ben There Guest

    Brief present specs is 200mz chip, 32mbEDO.

    I got this handed to me an hour + ago, with destination being an 11 year
    olds' b-day present, gifted to 11 y/o's mom from friend from an even earlier
    owner, and it was a mess. A lot was cleaned, "but"..:

    Short scenario: CD was lettered "M"; and I awkwardly navigated '95 to change
    to "D". [If anyone can tell me "M" designation as normal for this HP8140,
    please do]. Regardless, an inserted -executable- CD is opened by "CD
    Player", so no setups. For that matter, OS freezes.

    Question is maybe just a primer for '95; namely how to associate the CDROM
    with an .exe?

    Please note that from DOS floppy, CDROM support was loaded, but after
    searching several letters, patience/stamina lost.

    I'm tired, &thx 4 any help.

    *b

    Ben There, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Ben There

    chuckie® Guest

    For no good reason HP designates the CD-ROM as 'M'. I have a Micron PC at work that designates the
    CD-ROM as 'R', again, I can't explain it. Are you trying to use the 'Recovery CD' here? If so, you
    may have to reletter the CD-ROM, as it will be looking for it at 'M', not 'D', also, all the
    programs that refer to the CD-ROM will be looking for 'M' not 'D', unless you redid all the path
    references therein...

    chuckie®, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Ben There

    derek / nul Guest

    There is a good reason actually.
    When you are dealing with 1000's of pc's its good to have the cd rom in one
    place, its good to have a batch file that works for machines with 1HD or many.

    I personally use R for reader and W for writer for the same reason.

    derek / nul, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Ben There wrote:
    > Brief present specs is 200mz chip, 32mbEDO.
    >
    > I got this handed to me an hour + ago, with destination being an 11 year
    > olds' b-day present, gifted to 11 y/o's mom from friend from an even earlier
    > owner, and it was a mess. A lot was cleaned, "but"..:
    >
    > Short scenario: CD was lettered "M"; and I awkwardly navigated '95 to change
    > to "D". [If anyone can tell me "M" designation as normal for this HP8140,
    > please do]. Regardless, an inserted -executable- CD is opened by "CD
    > Player", so no setups. For that matter, OS freezes.
    >
    > Question is maybe just a primer for '95; namely how to associate the CDROM
    > with an .exe?
    >
    > Please note that from DOS floppy, CDROM support was loaded, but after
    > searching several letters, patience/stamina lost.
    >
    > I'm tired, &thx 4 any help.
    >
    > *b

    Drive letter shouldn't matter except for S/W that was installed before
    you changed it.

    I'd first disable auto-insert notification & check whether or not the
    basic drive functionality works. Not that this sounds like a drive
    problem, but I'd start with that. (Suggestion: try copying the Win95
    directory to the HD. Not only will that test the drive but you can then
    point the registry to the HD directory.)

    If I understand you correctly, you have a CD with an autorun.inf
    pointing to a .exe file, probably setup.exe or autorun.exe. Instead of
    executing the .exe file however, Windows opens CD Player & tries to load
    the .exe file into it which, naturally, locks things up.

    So I'd say that it's a Windows problem. Either disable Auto Insert
    Notification or reinstall Windows.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Ben There

    Ben There Guest

    Well, problem's been solved, but mystery somewhat remains. Replacing the
    cdrom did the trick, although the HP cdrom seemed well functioning earlier.
    The "m letter" thing seems to be a part of an HP driver for their cdrom, as
    replacing with a generic driver assigns back to 'd'.

    Thanks respondents, and things were learned. *b

    Ben There, Nov 7, 2003