    would you do? Take it to a shop and maybe pay close to the cost of a new one
    for repairs, or take a chance on opening it up yourself with the hope that
    it's a simple part replacement.

    Tobor8thMan, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Tobor8thMan

    Alan Browne Guest

    Tobor8thMan wrote:

    > My 4MP HP 812 PhotoSmart camera seems to have developed a problem with the
    > lens extension/retraction mechanism. It rattles as the motor tries to
    > retract or extend the lens. Probably a stripped or broken gear. I bought it
    > Dec 2002 for about $400 (a decent price at the time for the features ).
    >
    > Problem is that it only came with a 1 year warranty (which has passed, of
    > course). Since a similarly featured digicam goes for around $300 today, what
    > would you do? Take it to a shop and maybe pay close to the cost of a new one
    > for repairs, or take a chance on opening it up yourself with the hope that
    > it's a simple part replacement.

    These small cameras are designed for low cost manufacturing, not for
    repair. If the cost of an estimate is negligeable, go there first. It
    may be cheaper to buy a used one of the same thing, than get the current
    one repaired.

    In the end a new one might be the cheapest deal ... and an opportunity
    to get a better camera (in all respects) if that is of interest to you.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --
    --e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

    Alan Browne, Apr 27, 2004