HP-6340 +CDRW no go

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DaveW, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    Trying to install a CDRW on a friends computer.
    Stock HP Pavilion 6340 (a handmedown)

    A Generic (Sanyo) CDR-BP1600P had been installed along with EZ-CD v4.0.
    EZ did not recognize the drive as a burner.
    Drive would read CD's w/o problems.

    I checked cables and jumpers. (CS)
    I did try setting master/slave with same results.
    I updated 98 to 98SE with latest patches.
    Updated to latest ASPI driver. (Adaptec)
    Flashed latest HP BIOS.
    No firmware could be found for the drive.
    Removed the drive from hardware profile (as well as about 20 others I found
    in safe mode) and reboot/detect.
    Tried every CD Drive setting in BIOS. (currently set to auto)
    Stuffed a new Digital Research D522452 into the last hole and installed the
    NTI software that came with the drive.
    "No Supported Drives Found" in both EZ and NTI.
    Both drives read with no problems.

    EZ and NTI has been uninstalled and NTI reinstalled.
    Still no go.

    Will attempt a phone walkthru for scanner hardware/software uninstall. (shot
    in dark)
    Don't know when I can get back there to tear it all apart again, so if you
    know the solution to this problem (drives not recognized in burner software)
    please help me out. I don't need or want this drive (I'm a scsi guy) HEY!
    KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! ;-) and I told her that I would take it off her
    hands at cost if I couldn't get it working on her computer.

    Thanks in advance. :)

    DaveW, Jul 21, 2003

  2. DaveW

    Me2U Guest

    DaveW wrote:

    > Trying to install a CDRW on a friends computer.
    > Stock HP Pavilion 6340 (a handmedown)
    >
    > A Generic (Sanyo) CDR-BP1600P had been installed along with EZ-CD v4.0.
    > EZ did not recognize the drive as a burner.
    > Drive would read CD's w/o problems.
    >
    > I checked cables and jumpers. (CS)
    > I did try setting master/slave with same results.
    > I updated 98 to 98SE with latest patches.
    > Updated to latest ASPI driver. (Adaptec)
    > Flashed latest HP BIOS.
    > No firmware could be found for the drive.
    > Removed the drive from hardware profile (as well as about 20 others I found
    > in safe mode) and reboot/detect.
    > Tried every CD Drive setting in BIOS. (currently set to auto)
    > Stuffed a new Digital Research D522452 into the last hole and installed the
    > NTI software that came with the drive.
    > "No Supported Drives Found" in both EZ and NTI.
    > Both drives read with no problems.
    >
    > EZ and NTI has been uninstalled and NTI reinstalled.
    > Still no go.
    >
    > Will attempt a phone walkthru for scanner hardware/software uninstall. (shot
    > in dark)
    > Don't know when I can get back there to tear it all apart again, so if you
    > know the solution to this problem (drives not recognized in burner software)
    > please help me out.  I don't need or want this drive (I'm a scsi guy)  HEY!
    > KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!   ;-)  and I told her that I would take it off her
    > hands at cost if I couldn't get it working on her computer.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.  :)

    The problem is that Roxio software included with a new computer or retail drive
    has only the drivers for that drive, deliberately.  Maybe you could download the
    drivers for that HP computer and get the proper Adaptec driver files installed
    that would allow the software to run the burner.   Otherwise you will need to
    buy or use some free burner software.

    http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freefile/story/0,24330,3452332,00.html

    http://w1.878.telia.com/~u87812405/

    Me2U, Jul 21, 2003

  3. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    "Me2U" <> wrote in message

    > DaveW wrote:
    >
    > > Trying to install a CDRW on a friends computer.
    > > Stock HP Pavilion 6340 (a handmedown)
    > >
    > > A Generic (Sanyo) CDR-BP1600P had been installed along with EZ-CD v4.0.
    > > EZ did not recognize the drive as a burner.
    > > Drive would read CD's w/o problems.
    > >
    > > I checked cables and jumpers. (CS)
    > > I did try setting master/slave with same results.
    > > I updated 98 to 98SE with latest patches.
    > > Updated to latest ASPI driver. (Adaptec)
    > > Flashed latest HP BIOS.
    > > No firmware could be found for the drive.
    > > Removed the drive from hardware profile (as well as about 20 others I

    found
    > > in safe mode) and reboot/detect.
    > > Tried every CD Drive setting in BIOS. (currently set to auto)
    > > Stuffed a new Digital Research D522452 into the last hole and installed

    the
    > > NTI software that came with the drive.
    > > "No Supported Drives Found" in both EZ and NTI.
    > > Both drives read with no problems.
    > >
    > > EZ and NTI has been uninstalled and NTI reinstalled.
    > > Still no go.
    > >
    > > Will attempt a phone walkthru for scanner hardware/software uninstall.

    (shot
    > > in dark)
    > > Don't know when I can get back there to tear it all apart again, so if

    you
    > > know the solution to this problem (drives not recognized in burner

    software)
    > > please help me out. I don't need or want this drive (I'm a scsi guy)

    HEY!
    > > KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! ;-) and I told her that I would take it off her
    > > hands at cost if I couldn't get it working on her computer.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance. :)

    > The problem is that Roxio software included with a new computer or retail

    drive
    > has only the drivers for that drive, deliberately. Maybe you could

    download the
    > drivers for that HP computer and get the proper Adaptec driver files

    installed
    > that would allow the software to run the burner. Otherwise you will need

    > buy or use some free burner software.
    >
    > http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freefile/story/0,24330,3452332,00.html
    >
    > http://w1.878.telia.com/~u87812405/

    The EZ (Roxio/Adaptec) software had been removed and the NTI that came with
    the newest drive had been ubinstalled and reinstalled. The EZ which is a
    rather outdated version anyway was not reinstalled.

    I will however give the software you provided the link for a try. <shrug>
    Who knows.

    Thanks.

    DaveW, Jul 21, 2003