    thanks
    Chet
    PS Are there any benchmark programs that might see is the video card.
    Chet, Mar 31, 2011

  2. Chet

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    On 3/31/2011 9:28 AM, Chet wrote:
    > I have a HP 6200N desktop, purchased it new in the fall of 07, recently
    > It has been acting up, not sure, But I have a feeling it might be the
    > video card, every now and then the monitor changes tints from the normal
    > white to a slight orange and and maybe a very light green tint, when
    > this happens it try to correct itself going from the orange & green *
    > back to normal, it takes a minute or so, but eventually it will get back
    > to normal, can this be the video card, there are times when on the net I
    > am typing, and when i am done typing I look at the screen and it did not
    > complete what I typed, it takes a few seconds then the type completes
    > and the cursor sometimes disappears and comes back. any suggestions on a
    > video card, I do not play games but show photos and mess with cad programs.
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet
    > PS Are there any benchmark programs that might see is the video card.

    Have you checked connections making sure they are tight? Have you tried
    another monitor? Have you updated video drivers?
    Good Luck
    Tee Jay
    TeeJay1952, Mar 31, 2011

  3. "Chet" <> wrote in message
    >I have a HP 6200N desktop, purchased it new in the fall of 07, recently It
    >has been acting up, not sure, But I have a feeling it might be the video
    >card, every now and then the monitor changes tints from the normal white to
    >a slight orange and and maybe a very light green tint, when this happens it
    >try to correct itself going from the orange & green * back to normal, it
    >takes a minute or so, but eventually it will get back to normal, can this
    >be the video card, there are times when on the net I am typing, and when i
    >am done typing I look at the screen and it did not complete what I typed,
    >it takes a few seconds then the type completes and the cursor sometimes
    >disappears and comes back. any suggestions on a video card, I do not play
    >games but show photos and mess with cad programs.

    Before you spend money on a video card, I'd be swapping the monitor with
    another machine. I think your issue is the monitor itself, not the video
    card.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 31, 2011
  4. "Chet" <> wrote in message
    >I have a HP 6200N desktop, purchased it new in the fall of 07, recently It
    >has been acting up, not sure, But I have a feeling it might be the video
    >card, every now and then the monitor changes tints from the normal white to
    >a slight orange and and maybe a very light green tint, when this happens it
    >try to correct itself going from the orange & green * back to normal, it
    >takes a minute or so, but eventually it will get back to normal, can this
    >be the video card, there are times when on the net I am typing, and when i
    >am done typing I look at the screen and it did not complete what I typed,
    >it takes a few seconds then the type completes and the cursor sometimes
    >disappears and comes back. any suggestions on a video card, I do not play
    >games but show photos and mess with cad programs.
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet
    > PS Are there any benchmark programs that might see is the video card.

    What you don't mention is the monitor your desktop is connected to.

    Before you go plunging into a video card you might want to take a close look
    at your monitor.

    The condition you describe is COMMON to occur with some Acer LCDs when the
    power plug connection on the monitor comes loose. It seems likely the same
    condition might exist with other brands/models.

    Check the Troubleshooting section of your Help File.

    I went through an hour of frustrating attempts at adjustments before the
    lightbulb went on and I looked where I should have looked an hour earlier -
    the Troubleshooting page of the Help File. There it was. After fixing this
    problem, I spent the next hour chastising myself for overlooking something I
    should have looked at an hour earlier. :)
    James D Andrews, Mar 31, 2011
  5. Chet

    Paul Guest

    Chet wrote:
    > I have a HP 6200N desktop, purchased it new in the fall of 07, recently
    > It has been acting up, not sure, But I have a feeling it might be the
    > video card, every now and then the monitor changes tints from the normal
    > white to a slight orange and and maybe a very light green tint, when
    > this happens it try to correct itself going from the orange & green *
    > back to normal, it takes a minute or so, but eventually it will get back
    > to normal, can this be the video card, there are times when on the net I
    > am typing, and when i am done typing I look at the screen and it did not
    > complete what I typed, it takes a few seconds then the type completes
    > and the cursor sometimes disappears and comes back. any suggestions on a
    > video card, I do not play games but show photos and mess with cad programs.
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet
    > PS Are there any benchmark programs that might see is the video card.

    Back then, you said "A6200N" ???

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt....read/thread/7eefc4b3cd1d5c9a/314e5a27a73b448a

    I have a suspicion, the video is coming from the Northbridge. It's integrated video.
    In one of the pictures further down, I see what looks like a VGA connector.

    "HP Pavilion a6200n PC (GN556AA) - specifications and warranty"

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/e...3158-12133158-12133158-80626463-81048011.html

    "Video adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE"

    There were a couple reports, when the original 6150 came out
    (not the same chip as yours), of blocky distortions in the video,
    which seemed to be poorly tested silicon in the chipset (possibly
    left the factory defective). Nvidia in the past, has had problems
    with the contacts between the chip and PCB, on a number of products,
    and I really can't tell you whether your motherboard chip would be
    included or not.

    The motherboard of the computer, might look like this. The black slot
    is PCI Express, and it is where you'd put an after market video card.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportDocument/c01151591/c02247079.jpg

    " Motherboard MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) "
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=3548186&prodTypeId=12454

    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqV,!i0E1NRK3gB)BNYC-,sfFw~~0_3.JPG

    It's possible that motherboard chipset, has both the
    Northbridge and Southbridge functions, in a single chip. You
    can see one heatsink in the lower right. You'd want that
    heatsink to be secure. Sometimes, the fasteners come loose,
    and the chip starts to overheat. The heatsink needs to be in
    contact with the top of the chip. Other possible symptoms,
    would be disk corruptions or loss of communications with a
    disk, due to that chip getting too hot. That's because the
    chip also has SATA ports for the hard drives.

    You can get a really cheap video card, as a test. The cheapest I could
    find was $20 for PCI Express. One a few dollars more, at least
    has a fan on it.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-125-337-Z05?$S640W$

    That card is $30. *Always* read the Feedback review section with
    cards like this, to see if there are driver issues, or to see
    if there are any gotchas. Apparently, this card uses Hypermemory,
    which means there is a limited amount of memory on the card
    itself, and any extra is stolen from system memory. That's not
    really an issue for non-gaming related activity.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125337

    Some of the more modern cards, designed for things like home
    theater PCs, have relatively low power consumption. A card
    like that is unlikely to "tip over" your power supply. Especially
    as the card requires no PCI Express auxiliary power connector.

    (See the "peak" values here, to get some idea if a card is a hog.)

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-power-consumption-2010_3.html#sect0

    Xbitlabs uses actual measured values, obtained from specially
    modified motherboards with current shunts installed. Sites like
    the following one, use estimates obtained elsewhere, and so the error
    bars on these values could be higher. The Xbitlabs measurement
    would be of a single card (not a hundred cards, with mean and
    standard deviation values), but personally, I prefer a measured
    value, to something printed on the box (such as "needs a 500W
    supply" - the suggestions on the box can be just terrible).

    http://www.gpureview.com/Radeon-HD-4550-card-584.html

    I keep an FX5200 PCI card (not PCI Express) for testing here,
    as an example of the most pathetic video solution you can imagine.
    I slap that in for a quick test, if some other card is acting up.
    One of those cheap PCI Express cards like you'd find on Newegg,
    should at least not be bus bottlenecked like that card was.

    When changing video solutions, the order I use is:

    1) Uninstall the video driver for the current card (integrated GPU
    or separate video card). (Make sure you have a copy of the driver
    stored on disk, in case you need to reinstall it at some future
    date.) Uninstalling the driver, is to keep the OS a bit cleaner.

    2) Shut down after the uninstall step. Don't let the computer
    reboot. You just want to do the uninstall, as the last step
    before your hardware change.

    3) Add the new video card.

    4) Boot up. Windows will use its built-in VESA driver, as a minimum
    driver solution. (Sometimes, Windows will also have a manufacturer
    driver as well - WinXP SP3 had an ATI driver for one of my cards.)
    You can use the CD that comes in the video card box, to install a
    driver for the video card. You could be stuck at 640x480 or 800x600
    for a few minutes, until all of that is finished.

    If the new video card needs to be removed, it would be the same procedure,
    of first removing the driver from Add/Remove, shutting down, and making
    a hardware change. The purpose of doing it this way, is to attempt to cut down
    on irrelevant files left running in the computer. I had one computer,
    where there were so many of them, that I couldn't get a new card to
    run right, despite cleaning and hoovering for days on end. A little
    discipline in managing the files on the computer, is intended to
    stop that from happening.

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 1, 2011
  6. Chet

    Kele Guest

    This recently happened to me as well except that the orange and green
    occured instantly and the screen had a double image - like a 3D movie. It
    was an NVIDIA card. I replaced with the original ATI card and picture fine
    except that it's a 4:3 aspect ratio card that can't do wide screen. So for
    me it was the NVIDIA card failure.

    Kele, Apr 1, 2011