HP 6100C, WinXP Pro, and VueScan

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Maurice B via PhotoKB.com, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. First, I've never been able to get WinXP to list that I have the HP 6100C
    installed because I can't get through the Scanner/Camera Installation
    Wizzard's (i.e. Control Panel, Scanners and Cameras, Add an Imaging Device)
    "Which scanner camera do you want to install". If I insert the original
    installation CD and point "Brouse" to the CD player, I get the message "Can
    not find any information about the hardware" and if I go the hard drive and
    the unziped files from HP for WinXp I still get the same message. In
    fustration, I ran the setup executable from the original CD which installed
    DeskScan II in a folder on the C drive and I created a shorcut to the
    executable and updated the drivers and SCSI interface for WinXP. Under
    WinXP this seems to work fine if I use DeskScan, however, if I try to use
    VueScan it only initiates a scan which is immediately terminated. In another
    thread

    http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/photo-digital/11041/HP-ScanJet-6100C-Windows-XP

    both EHL and JIMMY appear to have their HP 6100C scanners working with WinXP
    and both are using VueScan successfully, however, they can't get DeskScan to
    work with this scanner.

    I suspect that they have been able to get WinXp to recognize the HP 6100C and
    list it under "Scanners and Cameras" which would be one difference. Also, I
    am not sure what version of VueScan either one of them uses and I know that
    one of them uses a different SCSI interface ("My SCSI interface is an ADAPTEC
    USBExchange device") while mine is a Symbios 54 (416 PnP Adapter). I would
    really like to resolve this issue and get both VueScan to operate the scanner
    as well as get WinXp Pro to list the Scanner under "Scanners and Cameras" in
    the control panel. I'd contact EHL and JIMMY if I knew how to get ahold of
    them so if anyone can help, I would appreciate it!

    Maurice B via PhotoKB.com, Dec 30, 2005