    peterwn Guest

    The 4M Plus was aimed at the Macintosh market. However, does it work
    with ordinary PC's in the same way as a 4 Plus would?

    peterwn, May 9, 2008

  2. In article
    <>,
    peterwn did write:

    > The 4M Plus was aimed at the Macintosh market. However, does it work
    > with ordinary PC's in the same way as a 4 Plus would?

    I think they had serial as well as Ethernet connections. However, the
    Ethernet only spoke AppleTalk--no TCP/IP.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 10, 2008

  3. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On May 10, 12:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > peterwn did write:
    >
    > > The 4M Plus was aimed at the Macintosh market. However, does it work
    > > with ordinary PC's in the same way as a 4 Plus would?

    > I think they had serial as well as Ethernet connections. However, the
    > Ethernet only spoke AppleTalk--no TCP/IP.

    Thanks - I suspect that 4M + is a 'superset' of 4 + which originally
    sold at a higher price.

    peterwn, May 10, 2008
  4. peterwn

    EMB Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > The 4M Plus was aimed at the Macintosh market. However, does it work
    > with ordinary PC's in the same way as a 4 Plus would?

    Yes. i used to look after about 40 of them on a Windows only network.
    The 'M' does indeed mean Macintosh, but only insofar as they have extra
    RAM and support Postscript in addition to PCL.

    EMB, May 10, 2008
  5. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On May 10, 7:02 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > > The 4M Plus was aimed at the Macintosh market. However, does it work
    > > with ordinary PC's in the same way as a 4 Plus would?

    > Yes. i used to look after about 40 of them on a Windows only network.
    > The 'M' does indeed mean Macintosh, but only insofar as they have extra
    > RAM and support Postscript in addition to PCL.

    Thank you all for your help. I bid for one today and picked it up
    this evening. Have not had a chance to try it out yet.

    peterwn, May 11, 2008
  6. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On May 11, 9:46 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On May 10, 7:02 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    > > peterwn wrote:
    > > > The 4M Plus was aimed at the Macintosh market. However, does it work
    > > > with ordinary PC's in the same way as a 4 Plus would?

    > > Yes. i used to look after about 40 of them on a Windows only network.
    > > The 'M' does indeed mean Macintosh, but only insofar as they have extra
    > > RAM and support Postscript in addition to PCL.

    > Thank you all for your help. I bid for one today and picked it up
    > this evening. Have not had a chance to try it out yet.

    Learnt some new skills this evening. Managed to get it to network
    very easily.
    Had to remove NIC card to get MAC number (I configured DHCP server
    to give it a constant IP number on the strength of the MAC numbe)r.

    peterwn, May 12, 2008