HP 3150 on 98 and 2k

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Has anyone successfully managed to have a HP 3150 printer shared on a 98/2k
    TCP/IP network ?

    The shared printer is on PC1 which is running 98 - it is installed using the
    CD that came with it.
    PC2 has 2000 installed - I tried to install the printer using the CD again,
    which asks if youd like to install as a network printer, to which I say yes.
    It then wants the path to the printer etc... give it that info and it
    appears in a little box on the screen. I then clik "next" and I get the
    error of "Could not connect to printer. You entered a printer name that was
    incorrect or the server is no longer runing".

    Tried via just the standard Windows 2000 network printer installation and
    that gives a similar error.

    The really stupid thing is that the supplied CD has an option to install as
    a network printer but HP claims it has never tried it under a network of any
    sort and therefore wont help. So wtf offer that option on the CD......

    Any ideas ???
    XPD, Oct 29, 2003

  2. XPD

    SteveM Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > Has anyone successfully managed to have a HP 3150 printer shared on a
    > 98/2k TCP/IP network ?
    >
    > The shared printer is on PC1 which is running 98 - it is installed
    > using the CD that came with it.
    > PC2 has 2000 installed - I tried to install the printer using the CD
    > again, which asks if youd like to install as a network printer, to
    > which I say yes. It then wants the path to the printer etc... give it
    > that info and it appears in a little box on the screen. I then clik
    > "next" and I get the error of "Could not connect to printer. You
    > entered a printer name that was incorrect or the server is no longer
    > runing".
    >
    > Tried via just the standard Windows 2000 network printer installation
    > and that gives a similar error.
    >
    > The really stupid thing is that the supplied CD has an option to
    > install as a network printer but HP claims it has never tried it under
    > a network of any sort and therefore wont help. So wtf offer that
    > option on the CD......
    >
    > Any ideas ???

    XPD,
    Thanks for the driver disk.

    To help you in reply.......

    You cannot share the 31XX between unlike OS's.
    IE you're OK if the comps all run 98 or all run 2000
    but a mix of OS's will not work.
    I found a message that explains this on the HP customer forum:

    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=229
    &filterType=1&pageNum=1

    Can't look at the moment as the forum is not "up", so cannot provide the
    exact link to the question.

    Steve
    SteveM, Oct 29, 2003

  3. XPD

    XPD Guest

    > XPD,
    > Thanks for the driver disk.
    >
    > To help you in reply.......
    >
    > You cannot share the 31XX between unlike OS's.
    > IE you're OK if the comps all run 98 or all run 2000
    > but a mix of OS's will not work.
    > I found a message that explains this on the HP customer forum:
    >
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=229
    > &filterType=1&pageNum=1
    >
    > Can't look at the moment as the forum is not "up", so cannot provide the
    > exact link to the question.

    Cwap....... damn it now Ill have to go steal my printer back off my folks :)

    I actually did end up getting the 3150 to work but had to use default
    Windows drivers on both systems...however since the 3150 is used for faxes
    etc as well we needed the Jetsuite Pro stuf finstalled which installed the
    HP driver which then killed the sharing again :(

    Oh well... hehe
    XPD, Oct 29, 2003
  4. XPD

    SteveM Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    >> XPD,
    >> Thanks for the driver disk.
    >>
    >> To help you in reply.......
    >>
    >> You cannot share the 31XX between unlike OS's.
    >> IE you're OK if the comps all run 98 or all run 2000
    >> but a mix of OS's will not work.
    >> I found a message that explains this on the HP customer forum:
    >>
    >> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=2
    >> 29 &filterType=1&pageNum=1
    >>
    >> Can't look at the moment as the forum is not "up", so cannot provide
    >> the exact link to the question.

    > Cwap....... damn it now Ill have to go steal my printer back off my
    > folks :)
    >
    > I actually did end up getting the 3150 to work but had to use default
    > Windows drivers on both systems...however since the 3150 is used for
    > faxes etc as well we needed the Jetsuite Pro stuf finstalled which
    > installed the HP driver which then killed the sharing again :(
    >
    > Oh well... hehe

    Found some more info which may help...

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/heretrythis/hp3100/

    SteveM
    SteveM, Oct 29, 2003
  5. XPD

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <Xns9423D0AB59B1Csdmccremovemeparadis@202.20.93.13>,
    valid says...
    > "XPD" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Has anyone successfully managed to have a HP 3150 printer shared on a
    > > 98/2k TCP/IP network ?
    > >
    > > The shared printer is on PC1 which is running 98 - it is installed
    > > using the CD that came with it.
    > > PC2 has 2000 installed - I tried to install the printer using the CD
    > > again, which asks if youd like to install as a network printer, to
    > > which I say yes. It then wants the path to the printer etc... give it
    > > that info and it appears in a little box on the screen. I then clik
    > > "next" and I get the error of "Could not connect to printer. You
    > > entered a printer name that was incorrect or the server is no longer
    > > runing".
    > >
    > > Tried via just the standard Windows 2000 network printer installation
    > > and that gives a similar error.
    > >
    > > The really stupid thing is that the supplied CD has an option to
    > > install as a network printer but HP claims it has never tried it under
    > > a network of any sort and therefore wont help. So wtf offer that
    > > option on the CD......
    > >
    > > Any ideas ???
    > >

    > XPD,
    > Thanks for the driver disk.
    >
    > To help you in reply.......
    >
    > You cannot share the 31XX between unlike OS's.
    > IE you're OK if the comps all run 98 or all run 2000
    > but a mix of OS's will not work.
    > I found a message that explains this on the HP customer forum:

    Sounds like a load of crap, normally in Windows you can, provided you
    have all the drivers for the different versions of Windows
    Mainlander, Nov 1, 2003
  6. XPD

    SteveM Guest

    Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote in

    > In article <Xns9423D0AB59B1Csdmccremovemeparadis@202.20.93.13>,
    > valid says...
    >> "XPD" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Has anyone successfully managed to have a HP 3150 printer shared on
    >> > a 98/2k TCP/IP network ?
    >> >
    >> > The shared printer is on PC1 which is running 98 - it is installed
    >> > using the CD that came with it.
    >> > PC2 has 2000 installed - I tried to install the printer using the
    >> > CD again, which asks if youd like to install as a network printer,
    >> > to which I say yes. It then wants the path to the printer etc...
    >> > give it that info and it appears in a little box on the screen. I
    >> > then clik "next" and I get the error of "Could not connect to
    >> > printer. You entered a printer name that was incorrect or the
    >> > server is no longer runing".
    >> >
    >> > Tried via just the standard Windows 2000 network printer
    >> > installation and that gives a similar error.
    >> >
    >> > The really stupid thing is that the supplied CD has an option to
    >> > install as a network printer but HP claims it has never tried it
    >> > under a network of any sort and therefore wont help. So wtf offer
    >> > that option on the CD......
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas ???
    >> >

    >> XPD,
    >> Thanks for the driver disk.
    >>
    >> To help you in reply.......
    >>
    >> You cannot share the 31XX between unlike OS's.
    >> IE you're OK if the comps all run 98 or all run 2000
    >> but a mix of OS's will not work.
    >> I found a message that explains this on the HP customer forum:

    > Sounds like a load of crap, normally in Windows you can, provided you
    > have all the drivers for the different versions of Windows

    Normally you can, I agree. But this printer (being a 3 in 1 device) is
    different in that it has NO stand-alone printer drivers. (I know I have
    one). You must install the driver as part of the HP Jetsuite software
    which does not provide for the installation of different OS version
    drivers. I have discovered some workarounds, and have conveyed these to
    XPD, however this unit does not act like a standard HP printer.

    SteveM
    SteveM, Nov 1, 2003