    these are marketed under the Hoya label. Who really makes these Pro 1
    filters? Does anyone know the relationship between Kenko, Tokina, and
    Hoya?

    Jimmy, Jan 2, 2007

  2. Jimmy

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Jimmy" <> wrote in message
    news:AeCmh.22382$...
    >I was looking for some Hoya filter information when I ran across this
    >website, http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/index.html Here I found the Pro 1
    >digital filter series being shown as made by Kenko, while here in the US
    >these are marketed under the Hoya label. Who really makes these Pro 1
    >filters? Does anyone know the relationship between Kenko, Tokina, and
    >Hoya?

    Tokina, Hoya, Kenko are divisions of the same company, hence the name THK.
    Pentax will soon be part of them.
    John

    JohnR66, Jan 2, 2007

  3. JohnR66 wrote:
    > "Jimmy" <> wrote in message
    >> I was looking for some Hoya filter information when I ran across this
    >> website, http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/index.html Here I found the Pro 1
    >> digital filter series being shown as made by Kenko, while here in the US
    >> these are marketed under the Hoya label. Who really makes these Pro 1
    >> filters? Does anyone know the relationship between Kenko, Tokina, and
    >> Hoya?
    >>

    > Tokina, Hoya, Kenko are divisions of the same company, hence the name THK.
    > Pentax will soon be part of them.
    > John

    Kewl, they can add the Pentax "Ghostless Filter" We are THK will add
    your technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile ...

    Not Disclosed, Jan 3, 2007
  4. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    "> Tokina, Hoya, Kenko are divisions of the same company, hence the name
    THK.
    > Pentax will soon be part of them.
    > John

    John, this is where the my confusion begins.
    http://www.thkphoto.com/company/ci-02.html Here THK is listing these other
    companies as their parent companies. When I went to the Tokina website they
    show THK as their USA distributor.
    http://www.tokinalens.com/distributors.html , Here Tokina shows Kenko of
    Japan as their distributor. No where but in the USA do I find a merger,
    holding company, etc for theses companies. Hoya is a publicly traded
    company and isn't listed as a subsidiary that I can find.

    Jimmy, Jan 3, 2007
  5. Jimmy

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Jimmy" <> wrote in message

    > "> Tokina, Hoya, Kenko are divisions of the same company, hence the name
    > THK.
    >> Pentax will soon be part of them.
    >> John

    > John, this is where the my confusion begins.
    > http://www.thkphoto.com/company/ci-02.html Here THK is listing these
    > other companies as their parent companies. When I went to the Tokina
    > website they show THK as their USA distributor.
    > http://www.tokinalens.com/distributors.html , Here Tokina shows Kenko of
    > Japan as their distributor. No where but in the USA do I find a merger,
    > holding company, etc for theses companies. Hoya is a publicly traded
    > company and isn't listed as a subsidiary that I can find.

    I'm not positive how these companies relate. Hopefully someone who knows
    more can jump in and help.

    AFAIK, Hoya is the largest or one of the largest optical glass manufacturers
    in Japan. Filters were typically sold under that name. Tokina made lenses
    and Kenko had teleconverters and perhaps some other photo products.

    With the coming merger with Pentax, I wonder what will become of the Tokina
    line. They used to have a fairly good line up of lenses and now are down to
    five AF lenses.
    John

    JohnR66, Jan 3, 2007
  6. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    > I'm not positive how these companies relate. Hopefully someone who knows
    > more can jump in and help.
    >
    > AFAIK, Hoya is the largest or one of the largest optical glass
    > manufacturers in Japan. Filters were typically sold under that name.
    > Tokina made lenses and Kenko had teleconverters and perhaps some other
    > photo products.
    >
    > With the coming merger with Pentax, I wonder what will become of the
    > Tokina line. They used to have a fairly good line up of lenses and now are
    > down to five AF lenses.
    > John

    http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/index.html Take a look at the Pro 1 filters
    on this link. They are clearly marked Kenko, yet the ones I purchase here
    in the States have the Hoya label. I question who is really making these
    Pro 1 filters. Some users tout Hoya as top notch with Kenko somewhere below
    them. Now if Kenko really does make these filters and Hoya is simply
    rebadging, does this turn the apple cart over a bit?

    Jimmy, Jan 4, 2007
  7. Jimmy

    Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:10:40 -0500, Not Disclosed
    <> wrote:

    >Kewl, they can add the Pentax "Ghostless Filter" We are THK will add
    >your technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile ...

    OK, what is a ghostless filter? Does it keep your dead relatives out
    of the Christmas photos?

    Gary J Sibio

    http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio

    There are 10 types of people in this world -- those who understand binary numbers and those who do not.

    , Jan 6, 2007