HOWTO: download John Campbell archives in Linux (and windows)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by aum, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. aum

    aum Guest

    Hi all,

    I mucked around for a while, trying to download videos from the John
    Campbell TV3 website.

    Was frustrating, since the site is set up to allow the videos to be played
    in streaming mode in the browser, but to strongly resist them being
    downloaded for storage on hard disk.

    For instance, in the playback window, the video source URL is
    javascript-obfuscated, and there's other javascript which prevents
    right-clicks (even when firefox is set to stop javascript from disabling
    context menu).

    Anyway, here's what finally worked for me.

    Requirements:
    - FireFox 1.5 or greater, with the MediaPlayerConnectivity extension
    installed
    - mplayer (available for linux and windows)

    Procedure:
    - start up FireFox
    - configure MediaPlayerConnectivity (Tools, MediaPlayerConnectivity,
    Configre) - in the 'Configuration (2/2)' tab, enable the 'show a direct
    URL link icon' option
    - point FireFox at the TV3 website: http://www.tv3.co.nz
    - scroll down the 'Headlines' iframe to find the video you want, and
    click on it
    - when the new page opens, you should see a centre frame for the video,
    with a link at the bottom
    - middle-click on that link
    - when the new browser tab or window opens, copy the entire URL, which
    should be something like 'http://content.mediaworks.co.nz/tv/News...'
    - in a command window, type:
    mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile campbell.wmv URL
    where URL is what you just copied
    - mplayer should make a few noises, ending in 'Stream not seekable!', at
    which point mplayer will be successfully downloading
    - when the full video is downloaded, mplayer will say something like
    'Core dumped ;)'

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Apr 12, 2006

  2. aum

    David Guest

    aum wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I mucked around for a while, trying to download videos from the John
    > Campbell TV3 website.
    >
    > Was frustrating, since the site is set up to allow the videos to be played
    > in streaming mode in the browser, but to strongly resist them being
    > downloaded for storage on hard disk.
    >
    > For instance, in the playback window, the video source URL is
    > javascript-obfuscated, and there's other javascript which prevents
    > right-clicks (even when firefox is set to stop javascript from disabling
    > context menu).
    >
    > Anyway, here's what finally worked for me.
    >
    > Requirements:
    > - FireFox 1.5 or greater, with the MediaPlayerConnectivity extension
    > installed
    > - mplayer (available for linux and windows)
    >
    > Procedure:
    > - start up FireFox
    > - configure MediaPlayerConnectivity (Tools, MediaPlayerConnectivity,
    > Configre) - in the 'Configuration (2/2)' tab, enable the 'show a direct
    > URL link icon' option
    > - point FireFox at the TV3 website: http://www.tv3.co.nz
    > - scroll down the 'Headlines' iframe to find the video you want, and
    > click on it
    > - when the new page opens, you should see a centre frame for the video,
    > with a link at the bottom
    > - middle-click on that link
    > - when the new browser tab or window opens, copy the entire URL, which
    > should be something like 'http://content.mediaworks.co.nz/tv/News...'
    > - in a command window, type:
    > mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile campbell.wmv URL
    > where URL is what you just copied
    > - mplayer should make a few noises, ending in 'Stream not seekable!', at
    > which point mplayer will be successfully downloading
    > - when the full video is downloaded, mplayer will say something like
    > 'Core dumped ;)'

    Thanks for this. Just a tip, on windows using firefox 1.5, it won't show
    the URL in the new tab. However you can drag the link directly into the
    address bar of another window, and copy it from there.

    David, Apr 12, 2006