howto detect X64 memory problems

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. Starting my PC this morning I got following error message:

    file corrupt or unavailable:
    system32/ntkernel.. ..
    please reinstall

    My first thought, a HD crash or a virus.
    Trying to start a system recovery from CD I got following error message:

    file systemd.dll not found

    Well then? I was at a loss!

    Luckily for me I downloaded a Linux security CD a few month ago. After
    booting from this CD I got following simple message (from memtest):

    memory error

    Aha, some tests later i found out 1GB ram was corrupt.
    Memory errors shouldn't be to complicated to detect. Why are there so
    incorrect messages in XP X64?

    After this nice start into weekend i have three advices:

    1.Install Linux an a second partition or bootable CD.
    2.Don't by cheap memory
    3.In my opinion Microsoft should rename XP X64 “PROFESSIONALâ€

    Ernst

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=, Sep 10, 2005

  2. But thats the name of x64: Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 10, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    You took the words right out of my mouth Andre! :)

    Colin Nowell, Sep 10, 2005
  4. I think Ernst confused becaused a lot of simply call it x64 most of the
    time. :)

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 11, 2005
  5. Thanks a lot for the good advice!
    I have just removed the "x64 Edition" appendix from my PC ;)
    (next try in 2007)
    Ernst

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=, Sep 11, 2005
  6. No problemo. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 12, 2005