HOWTO: Convert PAL AVI to NTSC MPEG/DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gowan McGland, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. Hey all,

    I'm fairly new to the process, not to mention bit torrent, but here's my
    dilemma.

    I had told a friend of mine that I'd download the recent mini-marathon
    of Battlestar Galactica that was on Sci-Fi. I forgot and when I did
    remember to try to get a few episodes, I had technical difficulties.

    So, I figured I'd just go out and download the video that was already
    out there.

    Unfortunately, all I could find and ended up with was files that were
    PAL AVIs from skyone. They play just fine as video files on my computer
    (as a matter of fact, that look pretty damn good), but I'd like to make
    DVDs of them so I can pass them along.

    Is there an easy way to do this? I found a demo for a program called
    Super DVD Creator 8.0 which did an admirable job on the video, but the
    sound was choppy. Studio 9 and VideoStudio 7 didn't want to have
    anything to do with the files.

    Am I just stuck with having to wait until I can find NTSC MPEG/DVD files
    , them to reshow the shows or find someone to trade with?

    Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.

    -Gowan

    Gowan McGland, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Gowan McGland

    Peter Guest

    Hi
    Athough I don't like this program in general I had very good experiences
    with NeroVision Express3.
    I have leared that the correct way to convert from PAL to NTSC is to convert
    from 25fps to 23.976fps and then do a 2:3pulldown.
    It seems that NVE is doing this because the result is not so bad than using
    TMPEnc.
    However, the best result that I get is using the following procedure:
    -load avi into virtualdup and save the audio as wav.
    -run besweet and convert the wav to mp2 and select PAL->NTSC(23.976)
    -create a AVISynth script that uses Assumefps(23.976) statement
    -run CCE via Avisynth to create the NTSC mpg video file
    -run pulldown.exe to add 3:2pulldown flag to video file
    -use TMPEGEnc to mux audio and video

    if you don't want to spend these effords try NeroVision Express3, in my
    tests it delivered similar results.
    Regards
    Peter

    Peter, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Gowan McGland

    Biz Guest

    post your question at mpaa.org, you'll get alot of help there...

    Biz, Feb 14, 2005
  4. > post your question at mpaa.org, you'll get alot of help there...

    If you don't want to help, then you're not required (legally, financially,
    or morally) to say anything at all. :)

    Buffy Summers, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Gowan McGland

    Biz Guest

    If the guy is gonna post in a public forum he's illegally downloading
    copyrighted material, IMO he's fair game for whatever the heck I want to say
    to him...

    Biz, Feb 15, 2005
  6. "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > If the guy is gonna post in a public forum he's illegally downloading
    > copyrighted material, IMO he's fair game for whatever the heck I want to

    say
    > to him...

    Yes but the name of this particular group that I am posting from IS
    alt.video.TAPE-TRADING. I think that kinda says it all, yes? If you don't
    want to help then you don't have to voice your opinion at all. Some things
    are just not proper netiquette. If you don't at least know the basics of
    netiquette then you don't belong on Usenet at all and need to find other,
    more important, things to do. Like posting from a real email address instead
    of something you made up on the spur of the moment to be rude in the first
    place. :)

    did he say that he had planned on selling this material? Even a little bit?
    I don't think so. He said that he "was doing it for a friend" aka no money
    involved. The MPAA and the Federal Government at large has wayyy too small
    Prisons to hold everyone that does trading "for friends". We, the US, would
    have to have a Federal Prison the size of Texas and the Population of NYC in
    order to hold everyone who engages in such "trading" activity (as handed
    down by the DMCA Law or letter of), and that still wouldn't be big enough.
    The current US Government has more "important priorities", like avoiding
    President Junior going before a U.N. War Crimes Tribunal anytime soon. :)

    It not deadly, it is addicting but not really dangerous except to big name
    studios. are you a big Name Studio? Do you have "family" in the MPAA? If so,
    then please leave now and go hang out at your Blockbuster and tell them how
    their low competition-oriented prices will kill Hollywood someday, that they
    should not want to go beat out Netfilx and Wal-mart in the "Eternal DVD
    Wars". Go see how fast they call Security or the cops. In fact, you can make
    a game of it, testing each different Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, and Netflix's
    "reflexes" to see how soon it takes each one tells you to go to h---- and
    the Horse you rode in on. It must be nice, posting from a false email so no
    one knows who you are and never will. :)

    Buffy Summers, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Gowan McGland

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Buffy Summers wrote:
    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>If the guy is gonna post in a public forum he's illegally downloading
    >>copyrighted material, IMO he's fair game for whatever the heck I want to

    > say
    >
    >>to him...

    > Yes but the name of this particular group that I am posting from IS
    > alt.video.TAPE-TRADING.

    No. You post TO a newsgroup, not FROM one. You also crossposted to
    this group. That makes you fair game for any comments from this newsgroup.

    I think that kinda says it all, yes?

    No.

    If you don't
    > want to help then you don't have to voice your opinion at all. Some things
    > are just not proper netiquette. If you don't at least know the basics of
    > netiquette then you don't belong on Usenet at all and need to find other,
    > more important, things to do. Like posting from a real email address instead
    > of something you made up on the spur of the moment to be rude in the first
    > place. :)

    A little hard to take someone seriously who calls themselves after a
    fictional character.

    > did he say that he had planned on selling this material? Even a little bit?
    > I don't think so. He said that he "was doing it for a friend" aka no money
    > involved. The MPAA and the Federal Government at large has wayyy too small
    > Prisons to hold everyone that does trading "for friends". We, the US, would
    > have to have a Federal Prison the size of Texas and the Population of NYC in
    > order to hold everyone who engages in such "trading" activity (as handed
    > down by the DMCA Law or letter of), and that still wouldn't be big enough.
    > The current US Government has more "important priorities", like avoiding
    > President Junior going before a U.N. War Crimes Tribunal anytime soon. :)
    >
    > It not deadly, it is addicting but not really dangerous except to big name
    > studios. are you a big Name Studio? Do you have "family" in the MPAA? If so,
    > then please leave now and go hang out at your Blockbuster and tell them how
    > their low competition-oriented prices will kill Hollywood someday, that they
    > should not want to go beat out Netfilx and Wal-mart in the "Eternal DVD
    > Wars". Go see how fast they call Security or the cops. In fact, you can make
    > a game of it, testing each different Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, and Netflix's
    > "reflexes" to see how soon it takes each one tells you to go to h---- and
    > the Horse you rode in on. It must be nice, posting from a false email so no
    > one knows who you are and never will. :)

    Sigh. What a load of crap.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 15, 2005
  8. Biz wrote:
    > "Gowan McGland" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey all,
    >>
    >>I'm fairly new to the process, not to mention bit torrent, but here's my
    >>dilemma.
    >>
    >>I had told a friend of mine that I'd download the recent mini-marathon
    >>of Battlestar Galactica that was on Sci-Fi. I forgot and when I did
    >>remember to try to get a few episodes, I had technical difficulties.
    >>
    >>So, I figured I'd just go out and download the video that was already
    >>out there.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, all I could find and ended up with was files that were
    >>PAL AVIs from skyone. They play just fine as video files on my computer
    >>(as a matter of fact, that look pretty damn good), but I'd like to make
    >>DVDs of them so I can pass them along.
    >>
    >>Is there an easy way to do this? I found a demo for a program called
    >>Super DVD Creator 8.0 which did an admirable job on the video, but the
    >>sound was choppy. Studio 9 and VideoStudio 7 didn't want to have
    >>anything to do with the files.
    >>
    >>Am I just stuck with having to wait until I can find NTSC MPEG/DVD files
    >>, them to reshow the shows or find someone to trade with?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.
    >>
    >>-Gowan

    > post your question at mpaa.org, you'll get alot of help there...

    Look, I know you were trolling along and not looking for a real answer,
    but here goes:

    Actually, I doubt the MPAA would have much interest in the case as I'm
    not asking about a motion picture, but a television program which is not
    under their purview. The FCC is probably the organization you're
    looking for. Except...

    I'm well within my fair use rights to copy a program from television and
    loan it to a friend. I broke no decryption in order to make a DVD of
    the program. I bypassed no copy protection. No money will change
    hands. There are not currently commercial DVDs available of the
    product. I was merely inquiring about a format change. If that's
    illegal, you should probably go tell your local retailers to quit
    selling DVD recorder/VHS combos which quickly and easily record a
    program from VHS to DVD. Even a program I recorded off my local
    television broadcast.

    Thanks to Peter, btw, as NeroVision Express 3 did a fine job of making a
    DVD from the source I had.

    Gowan McGland, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Bada bum. I think my point has been made in my stead. I would say that this
    thread is over and done with and all points made on all possible ends, ya?

    Buffy Summers, Feb 15, 2005

  10. > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    Have fun. The original poster trumped you and anyone else who would even
    potentially disagree with our point. ZAP! THREAD OVER. :)

    Buffy Summers, Feb 15, 2005
  11. Gowan McGland

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Buffy Summers wrote:
    >>Cheers
    >>Oldus Fartus

    > Have fun. The original poster trumped you and anyone else who would even
    > potentially disagree with our point. ZAP! THREAD OVER. :)

    You really are a fool aren't you? I neither agreed nor disagreed with
    the original poster.

    My comments related to your stupidity.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 15, 2005
  12. Gowan McGland

    Guest

    wrote:If you don't want to help, then you're not required (legally,
    financially, or morally) to say anything at all. :)
    that's not quite correct. In many jurisdictions, it's the law that if
    you know s omeone is doing something against the law and you don't say
    anything about it, then by law, you're legally held just as guilty as
    the person committing the crime.

    That's probably not the law everywhere, but it is in many jurisdictions.
    So he might indeed be legally required to say something about it.

    althoug I have also noticed at not everthing that others clam is illegal
    is illegal, such as in the thread about copying dvd's for fair use.

    They claimed that in the U.S., copying any dvd for fai use is illegal
    because that's breaking the encryption on the dvd's which is against
    DMCA law.

    they are wrong. There are many dvd's that are not encrypted. Despite
    what the maority of people posting in this newsgru said, copying
    unecrypted dvd's for fair use is NOT breaking the encrypion on the
    dvd's, and doesn't vioate any DMCA laws that I'm awae of.

    Only copying encrypted dvd's is illegal.

    Only copying encrypted dvd's for fair use is illegal.

    And in my opinion, 'far use" should never be illegal.

    , Feb 15, 2005
  13. Gowan McGland

    Guest

    wrote:did he say that he had planned on selling this material? Even a
    little bit? I don't think so. He said that he "was doing it for a
    friend" aka no money involved. The MPAA and the Federal Government at
    large has wayyy too small Prisons to hold everyone that does trading
    "for friends

    yes. And exactly what is the difference between 1. recording something
    from tv, which your friend later tells you he likes and giving it to him
    and 2. having your friend request that you record something from tv for
    him because he's unable to do so, and then giving the tape to him.

    , Feb 15, 2005
  14. Gowan McGland

    Guest

    wrote: The current US Government has more "important priorities", like
    avoiding President Junior going before a U.N. War Crimes Tribunal
    anytime soon. :)

    It's even worse than that. They have already stated that they want to
    try EVERY U.S. voter who voted for Bush as "war criminals".

    When did U.S. voters lose the right to vote for whatever presidential
    candidate they choose to?

    The U.S. constitution guarantees freedom.

    When did U.S. citizens lose their constitutionally guaranteed rights?

    Since when have U.S. citizens been only allowed to vote for only one of
    the presidential candidates?

    Being only allowed to vote for only one candidate sounds more like
    communism and naziism to me than an election.

    , Feb 15, 2005
  15. > yes. And exactly what is the difference between 1. recording something
    > from tv, which your friend later tells you he likes and giving it to him
    > and 2. having your friend request that you record something from tv for
    > him because he's unable to do so, and then giving the tape to him.

    No difference that I can see. (but it does make a difference if you "sell"
    to your friend or not--in this case there is no money changing hands) I
    could have sworn this thread was over and done with---why are you putting in
    your 2 cents? No problems, just curious (I'm ignoring the trolls--they no
    longer exist as far as I am concerned). But lets face it, this thread's
    original purpose has been served and it no longer needs to be discussed.

    I'm not going into the politics of the situation, as my only intention was
    to touch on it "lightly" to make my point. That is another fight best suited
    for private email. If you want to talk politics, then feel free to email me
    privately, removing the "onlymyemail." first bit, then you should be fine.
    (Oh, and I've already been called a "Liberal Traitor" by Ann Coulter, who
    has since seemed to have disappeared--but enough about that :) )

    anyway, this thread's purpose has been served. any side steps off into
    Fantasy Land need not to be discussed publicly :)

    Buffy Summers, Feb 15, 2005
  16. Gowan McGland

    DereX888 Guest

    > Unfortunately, all I could find and ended up with was files that were
    > PAL AVIs from skyone. They play just fine as video files on my computer
    > (as a matter of fact, that look pretty damn good), but I'd like to make
    > DVDs of them so I can pass them along.
    >

    > Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.
    >
    > -Gowan

    If you have powerful comp, it'll take about 40hrs to convert all the 13
    AVIs to NTSC DVD-Video.
    IMO its not worth the trouble, since you can buy for very little money
    ($60 CAD) i.e. Philips DVP642 player, which will all the BSG AVI files
    you've downloaded, and it does PAL<>NTSC conversion on the fly as well...

    But if you insist on reencoding AVIs to MPEG-2 (DVD-VIdeo) and PAL to
    NTSC, there are few excellent guides on how to do it here:
    http://www.videohelp.com/guides

    DereX888, Feb 15, 2005
  17. Gowan McGland

    jayembee Guest

    "Buffy Summers" <> wrote:

    > I could have sworn this thread was over and done with---why are you
    > putting in your 2 cents? No problems, just curious

    Because dvdguy2 is the living embodiment of the phrase "Exterminate
    all rational thought".

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 16, 2005
  18. Gowan McGland

    Guest

    wrote: No difference that I can see. (but it does make a difference if
    you "sell" to your friend or not--in this case there is no money
    changing hands) I
    well, I myself don't see any difference between your friend giving you
    money to buy a blank videotape for him to recrd something he isn't able
    to record himself and you recording something and him later deciding he
    wants it and giving you the amount of money for a blank videotape then.

    wrote: I could have sworn this thread was over and done with---why are
    you putting in your 2 cents? No problems, just curious (I'm ignoring the
    trolls--they no longer exist as far as I am concerned). But lets face
    it, this thread's original purpose has been served and it no longer
    needs to be discussed.
    old? strange. This thread showed up as one of the newest threads posted
    on my newsreader today wiith the original message being dated as being
    sent only yesterday. And all the ones marked as replies being after
    that. The orriginal isn't marked as a reply and is dated as being
    posted only yesterday.
    wrote: anyway, this thread's purpose has been served. any side steps off
    into Fantasy Land need not to be discussed publicly :)

    so now, thinking the U.S. constitution's guarantee of American citzens
    having constitutionally guaranteed rights is only "FantasyLand"? very
    interesting.

    so now, the U.S. constitution's guarantee of Americans having
    constitutionally guaranteed rights is only "Fantasyland"?

    very interesting.

    I've read the constitution. It does too guarantee us constitutionally
    guaranteeed freedoms.

    , Feb 16, 2005
  19. Gowan McGland

    Guest

    wrote: I could have sworn this thread was over and done with---why are
    you putting in your 2 cents? No problems, just curious
    wrote: Because dvdguy2 is the living embodiment of the phrase
    "Exterminate all rational thought".

    no. It's because it appeared on my newsreader today as one of the newest
    threads with the original post (not a reply to the original, but the
    original itself) dated as being posted only yesterday.

    It is NOT an old post as the other poster tried to make it out to be.
    It IS a new thread started only yesterday.

    The replies are marked as replies. The original isn't. The original was
    posted yesterday. So it IS a NEW thread, NOT an old one as the other
    poster tried to make it seem.

    , Feb 16, 2005