How's the e51 for VOIP calls ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by hammond, Mar 29, 2009.

  1. hammond

    hammond Guest

    Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
    firewall.

    Does IAX get round this problem ?
    hammond, Mar 29, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 29 Mar, 11:13, Andy Burns <> wrote:
    > hammond wrote:
    > > Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
    > > firewall.

    >
    > Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.
    >
    > > Does IAX get round this problem ?

    >
    > Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.


    hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?
    Steve Hammond, Mar 29, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>,
    Steve Hammond <> wrote:
    >On 29 Mar, 11:13, Andy Burns <> wrote:
    >> hammond wrote:
    >> > Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
    >> > firewall.

    >>
    >> Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.
    >>
    >> > Does IAX get round this problem ?

    >>
    >> Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.

    >
    >hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?


    Might be intersting to list all the IAX providers... Other than myself,
    I know Gradwell do it, and I think Voiptalk/Telapliant.. Really not sure
    who else in the UK...

    SIP is managable though - what gets in the way is firewalls/NAT routers
    which are too clever for their own good.. It is well defined, so can
    usually be "gotten round", depending on your application and the way
    the ITSP manages it. (Relying on STUN servers or an intelligent proxy -
    providing the end users router is not going to get in the way)

    And with IAX, you are severley limited in what you can use - Zoiper in
    the soft phone department, some ATL desk phones (I think), and maybe kiax,
    also a soft-phone, but I've never been able to make it work successfully.
    There's also the Digium ATA - the "Iaxy" which runs IAX...

    And Asterisk, of-course.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 29, 2009
    #3
  4. hammond

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-03-29, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Steve Hammond <> wrote:
    >>On 29 Mar, 11:13, Andy Burns <> wrote:
    >>> hammond wrote:
    >>> > Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
    >>> > firewall.
    >>>
    >>> Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.
    >>>
    >>> > Does IAX get round this problem ?
    >>>
    >>> Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.

    >>
    >>hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?

    >
    > Might be intersting to list all the IAX providers... Other than myself,
    > I know Gradwell do it, and I think Voiptalk/Telapliant.. Really not sure
    > who else in the UK...


    Tesco Internet Phone do both IAX (gateway.tescointernetphone.com) and
    SIP (sip.tescointernetphone.com).

    > And Asterisk, of-course.


    You can quite happily use a SIP phone to an Asterisk box which talks
    upstream using IAX. And vice versa.

    --
    -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell Eridani Star System
    MailStripper - http://www.MailStripper.eu/ - SMTP spam filter
    Second Number - http://secondnumber.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
    Soruk, Mar 30, 2009
    #4
  5. hammond

    vinney

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Messages:
    9
    hm...useful info..
    vinney, Dec 3, 2009
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Vox Humana

    voip to voip calls

    Vox Humana, Mar 11, 2005, in forum: VOIP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    545
    Vox Humana
    Mar 11, 2005
  2. ubifone
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    4,337
    ubifone
    Jul 29, 2005
  3. me
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    913
  4. Scott
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    570
    Scott
    Oct 16, 2004
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    865
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page