    Depends on what you're trying to show.. I'd get rid of the bottom
    foreground.. All that grass is unappealing and unnecessary.. And it
    makes the picture boring.
    PitR, Nov 2, 2006

  3. 223rem

    Celcius Guest

    "223rem" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg

    Hi!
    I suppose, there's a way of doing it. I did try it. But to tell you the
    truth, there isn't much interest in that scenery. I did a 4 x 6, but it begs
    for a point of interest. As it is, whatever you try, it is a mishmash... I
    wonder why you would want to crop this? I would have shelved that photo
    myself. Anyway, there's my crack at it ;-)
    http://celestart.com/images/publiques/crop.jpg
    Marcel
    Celcius, Nov 2, 2006
  4. 223rem

    frederick Guest

    frederick, Nov 2, 2006
  5. 223rem

    Mark² Guest

    Mark², Nov 2, 2006
  6. 223rem

    Annika1980 Guest

  7. 223rem

    223rem Guest

    Thanks. Not bad at all! As to the reason for taking this shot: I liked
    the contrast between the colorful "rural" foreground and the foggy
    urban background
    223rem, Nov 2, 2006
  8. 223rem

    Frank ess Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > 223rem wrote:
    >> http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg
    >>

    > Open the file, Select All | Edit Clear would be the place to start
    > with that one.

    That's a little more extreme than this, which will get you an
    8x10-proportioned print of dubious quality:
    http://www.fototime.com/F569F2CA79B83C2/orig.jpg

    The photo isn't much good as originally submitted, and I don't see a
    way to improve it much, even though there are some potentially
    interesting elements. What I see in this butchering is a contrast
    between the traditional steeple, whose origin may have been centuries
    in the past, and the new and striking bridge-cum-freeway off there in
    the haze.

    I think a longer lens, a viewpoint moved to the left, and framing that
    eliminated the foreground tree and everything other than the steeple
    and bridge/road might have had some potential. We might never know.
    Ah, well. So many perceptions, so little time to record them.

    --
    Frank ess
    (Do you think the 'e-consonant-e' in their
    Frank ess, Nov 2, 2006
  9. 223rem

    Pat Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/69565598

    I think I'm with you on this one. When I looked at it, that's about
    what I thought. I think that little pine in the middle has to go to
    make it much more interesting.
    Pat, Nov 2, 2006
  10. 223rem

    frederick Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> 223rem wrote:
    >>> http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg
    >>>

    >> Open the file, Select All | Edit Clear would be the place to start
    >> with that one.

    > That's a little more extreme than this, which will get you an
    > 8x10-proportioned print of dubious quality:
    > http://www.fototime.com/F569F2CA79B83C2/orig.jpg
    >
    > The photo isn't much good as originally submitted, and I don't see a way
    > to improve it much, even though there are some potentially interesting
    > elements. What I see in this butchering is a contrast between the
    > traditional steeple, whose origin may have been centuries in the past,
    > and the new and striking bridge-cum-freeway off there in the haze.
    >
    > I think a longer lens, a viewpoint moved to the left, and framing that
    > eliminated the foreground tree and everything other than the steeple and
    > bridge/road might have had some potential. We might never know. Ah,
    > well. So many perceptions, so little time to record them.

    I'm not normally so straight to the point - and don't have a ticket on
    my own images. But a dull image taken on a dull day of a dull subject
    really doesn't do it for me. I was going to get smart-arsed and suggest
    cropping to a single pixel of a colour that I liked, but I couldn't even
    find that in the image.

    Your crop is an improvement - perhaps it would be better with 3:2 ratio
    and a little more to the right of the bridge shown.
    frederick, Nov 2, 2006
  11. 223rem

    Paul J Gans Guest

    223rem <> wrote:
    >Thanks. Not bad at all! As to the reason for taking this shot: I liked
    >the contrast between the colorful "rural" foreground and the foggy
    >urban background

    Try cutting out most of the sky. But the tree is a problem
    since it leads the eye.

    My guess is that you won't have too much luck. I know. I've
    got a fair number like that. Good idea, bad shot.

    ---- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Nov 2, 2006
  12. 223rem

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    If you had the resolution I would go with the church. Do an extreme crop to
    that and toss everything else. Another option would be wide and narrow like
    a panorama keep the church and the city skyline. Clone out what is left of
    the little pine tree so you don't have the top sticking up in the image.

    From there since there isn't a lot of color, I would mask out the church and
    then push everything but it to black and white, leave the church color and
    up its saturation a bit.

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 2, 2006
  13. Crispy Critter, Nov 2, 2006
  14. 223rem

    Ken Tough Guest

    Ken Tough, Nov 2, 2006
  15. Pat wrote:
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/69565598

    > I think I'm with you on this one. When I looked at it, that's about
    > what I thought. I think that little pine in the middle has to go to
    > make it much more interesting.

    Y'odda get the main buildings vertical, like.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 2, 2006
  16. 223rem

    Guest

    On 1 Nov 2006 15:44:36 -0800, "223rem" <> wrote:

    > http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg

    , Nov 2, 2006
  17. David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2006
  18. 223rem

    Jer Guest

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > 223rem <> wrote:
    >> Thanks. Not bad at all! As to the reason for taking this shot: I liked
    >> the contrast between the colorful "rural" foreground and the foggy
    >> urban background

    > Try cutting out most of the sky. But the tree is a problem
    > since it leads the eye.
    >
    > My guess is that you won't have too much luck. I know. I've
    > got a fair number like that. Good idea, bad shot.
    >
    > ---- Paul J. Gans

    Maybe we could get that war photog from Reuters to pop over and
    photoshop that pesky tree problem?

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Nov 2, 2006
  19. www.kevinkienlein.com, Nov 3, 2006
  20. 223rem

    MaryL Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/69565598

    I think this is preferable to cropping-in close. The problem with the
    previous cropped versions is that only the tip of the small pine tree is
    left, and it is distracting -- the eye immediately focuses on that little
    tree-top in the foreground. So, I would vote for pulling back to include
    most of the tree unless he is going to use Photoshop to eliminate the tree
    altogether.

    MaryL
    MaryL, Nov 3, 2006