    know his ass from a hole in ground

    How can I update my BIOS?

    thank you in advance

    CheechWizard, Jan 19, 2006

  2. CheechWizard

    Martik Guest

    "CheechWizard" <> wrote in message
    news:HqVzf.10232$...
    > Installed new memory on my laptop
    >
    > Didn't recognize it
    >
    > Called Dell
    >
    > Gained a voice from India who did not
    > know his ass from a hole in ground
    >
    > How can I update my BIOS?
    >
    > thank you in advance

    And you think that person in India did not
    know his ass from a hole in ground.

    I have worked with SW developers from India and have found them
    to be far more polite, professional and knowledgeable than their average
    Western counterpart.

    Martik, Jan 19, 2006

  3. CheechWizard

    Ian Welch Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > "CheechWizard" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Installed new memory on my laptop
    >>
    >> Didn't recognize it
    >>
    >> Called Dell
    >>
    >> Gained a voice from India who did not
    >>know his ass from a hole in ground
    >>
    >> How can I update my BIOS?
    >>
    >>thank you in advance
    >>

    > And you think that person in India did not
    > know his ass from a hole in ground.
    >
    > I have worked with SW developers from India and have found them
    > to be far more polite, professional and knowledgeable than their average
    > Western counterpart.

    I'll never understand people that answer with nothing but useless
    comments instead of contructive information which is what was asked for
    in the first place.

    To answer your question CheechWizard:

    You can use the following website. Input your model and it will give you
    options to DL a variety of things including a BIOS.

    http://support.dell.com/

    If you already have the latest BIOS file and your laptop has a FLASH
    BIOS, simply copy it to an old fashioned 1.44m Floppy (if you have one).
    In order to activate the FLASH BIOS hit the PAUSE key (F1 or some other
    key) at the BIOS screen and there should be simple instructions that
    lead your through the process.

    If it's an older laptop with no FLASH BIOS, then you will have to create
    a boot disk using a floopy disk. Boot the A Drive with the boot disk and
    do it manually. Be sure to copy the BIOS file to the boot disk or
    another disk if it's too big.

    I hope this was specific enough and helps you with the update.

    Good luck.

    Ian Welch, Jan 20, 2006
  4. CheechWizard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:39:19 GMT, "CheechWizard" <>
    wrote:

    > Installed new memory on my laptop
    >
    > Didn't recognize it
    >
    > Called Dell
    >
    > Gained a voice from India who did not
    >know his ass from a hole in ground

    Wow. I wonder if he was feeling the same way?

    > How can I update my BIOS?

    By following the manufacturers instructions on the manufacturers
    website.

    Evan Platt, Jan 20, 2006
  5. CheechWizard

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:HqVzf.10232$,
    CheechWizard spewed forth:
    > Installed new memory on my laptop
    >
    > Didn't recognize it
    >
    > Called Dell
    >
    > Gained a voice from India who did not
    > know his ass from a hole in ground
    >
    > How can I update my BIOS?
    >
    > thank you in advance

    Dell's web site has any BIOS updates that might be available. But it
    probably won't help. Usually memory limitations are a physical thing.

    Go to http://support.dell.com, click on Home and Home office (under
    consumer) and go through the support options. You'll probably want to put in
    the service tag number from the sticker on the bottom of your laptop.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 20, 2006
  6. Ian Welch wrote:
    > Martik wrote:
    >
    >> "CheechWizard" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Installed new memory on my laptop
    >>>
    >>> Didn't recognize it
    >>>
    >>> Called Dell
    >>>
    >>> Gained a voice from India who did not
    >>> know his ass from a hole in ground
    >>>
    >>> How can I update my BIOS?
    >>>
    >>> thank you in advance
    >>>

    >> And you think that person in India did not
    >> know his ass from a hole in ground.
    >>
    >> I have worked with SW developers from India and have found them
    >> to be far more polite, professional and knowledgeable than their
    >> average Western counterpart.

    > I'll never understand people that answer with nothing but useless
    > comments instead of contructive information which is what was asked for
    > in the first place.
    >
    > To answer your question CheechWizard:
    >
    > You can use the following website. Input your model and it will give you
    > options to DL a variety of things including a BIOS.
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/
    >
    > If you already have the latest BIOS file and your laptop has a FLASH
    > BIOS, simply copy it to an old fashioned 1.44m Floppy (if you have one).
    > In order to activate the FLASH BIOS hit the PAUSE key (F1 or some other
    > key) at the BIOS screen and there should be simple instructions that
    > lead your through the process.
    >
    > If it's an older laptop with no FLASH BIOS, then you will have to create
    > a boot disk using a floopy disk. Boot the A Drive with the boot disk and
    > do it manually. Be sure to copy the BIOS file to the boot disk or
    > another disk if it's too big.
    >
    > I hope this was specific enough and helps you with the update.

    Just piggybacking (hope you don't mind) to add for the OP - make sure
    that your laptop is on mains power at the time and/or the battery is
    fully charged.. It would be a bit tough if the battery ran out half way
    through a BIOS update and left you with an unuseable machine needing a
    chip change.

    Oh, and make very very sure it is the right update intended for that
    laptop. Or the fickle finger of fate will point...

    --
    Sue

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Jan 20, 2006
  7. CheechWizard

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message

    > And you think that person in India did not
    > know his ass from a hole in ground.
    >
    > I have worked with SW developers from India and have found them
    > to be far more polite, professional and knowledgeable than their average
    > Western counterpart.

    I think anyone who works in IT has come across roduct support "techs" who
    don't know their arse from a hole in the ground - this one just happened to
    be from India. IME, though, it *is* true to say that Dells Indian support is
    somewhat lacking at times.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jan 20, 2006
  8. CheechWizard

    Melvin Snerd Guest

    "Martik" <> said in news:RBVzf.97655
    $6K2.22570@edtnps90:

    > "CheechWizard" <> wrote in message
    >> Installed new memory on my laptop
    >>
    >> Didn't recognize it
    >>
    >> Called Dell
    >>
    >> Gained a voice from India who did not
    >> know his ass from a hole in ground
    >>
    >> How can I update my BIOS?
    >>
    >> thank you in advance
    >>

    > And you think that person in India did not
    > know his ass from a hole in ground.
    >
    > I have worked with SW developers from India and have found them
    > to be far more polite, professional and knowledgeable than their

    average
    > Western counterpart.

    I've found their so called tech support to be script reading towel heads
    who don't know shit. HP found that out when they tried switching to cow
    humpers in Australia and lost millions in contracts. Dell uses only US
    tech support for their business contracts for the same reason. They the
    damn hindus for stupid shit general public/noncommercial sales.

    Melvin

    Melvin Snerd, Jan 20, 2006
  9. CheechWizard

    PC Guest

    > Installed new memory on my laptop
    >
    > Didn't recognize it

    Which means it's probably the wrong sort of Ram.
    Maybe to slow, maybe to big.
    Read the manual for recomended brand's / type and buy accordingly

    > Called Dell

    You must have had a lot of time to spare.

    P.

    PC, Jan 20, 2006
  10. CheechWizard

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Vh2Af.17783$,
    PC spewed forth:
    > "CheechWizard" <> wrote in message
    >> Installed new memory on my laptop
    >>
    >> Didn't recognize it
    >> Called Dell

    > You must have had a lot of time to spare.

    ROTFLMAO!!! Been there, done that. Only it was HP. Now I use their online
    chat system for support - still slow, but not near as bad as the "phone on
    hold, my God I'm DYING here" crap.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 20, 2006