    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
    Tested on: 06/05/2006 23:20:06
    Ian Pollard, May 6, 2006

  2. Ian Pollard

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ian Pollard" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hi
    > I have a 512MB broadband connection with a normal PC and a
    > wireless router/modem. How would I go about connecting a
    > VOIP adapter/ phone to this system?
    >
    > Ian

    Hi Ian,

    Unless you want to go down the road of replacing your existing
    modem/router with one containing a built in ATA, which is a little OTT for
    a new user (!) then you would need to plug the ATA into the router via an
    Ethernet port; although you are using a wireless connection your router
    will have at least one wired port, so unless you don't have a free socket
    then plug in here.

    If you are out of free Ethernet sockets, then you will need to get an
    external hub or switch, connect this to the router and your connected
    devices to the switch (get a switch rather than a hub if at all possible).

    Depending on the make/model of ATA, you will find that it will either (a)
    (hopefully..!) work straight out of the box, (once you have configured it
    with all your VoIP account details, of course) or (b) not work and you
    will have to do some fiddling to get it to, or (c) it will sort of work
    but you'll have problems with one thing or another such as one-way audio
    and you'll have even more problems getting it to work..!

    Hopefully (c) won't happen, but if it does, you'll find plenty of people
    here and elsewhere who will be able to help, so don't let what I've just
    said put you off too much..!

    If you can give us some more details about what you have already in terms
    of equipment, i.e. are you using ADSL over a BT line or a cable modem,
    what make of modem/router etc. then we can advise further.

    When it comes to VoIP providers, I'm afraid this is where you will
    unavoidably come across some serious hassle in this group as well as
    elsewhere..! Some people are passionately in favour of one provider or
    another, some will do their utmost to put you off the very same company,
    so my advice is not to take any notice of anybody at all, even me. I too
    have my likes and dislikes (as you will see if you read here often
    enough..!) but to read what you see here and on other groups/forums and
    make up your own mind, *before* you commit to spending any money with any
    of them..!

    Hope this helps a little bit and that I haven't put you off..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 6, 2006

  3. Ian Pollard

    Mark Guest

    Ian Pollard wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have a 512MB broadband connection with a normal PC and a
    > wireless router/modem. How would I go about connecting a VOIP adapter/
    > phone to this system?
    >
    > Ian

    Simply plug it into a spare port on the router

    You may have to supply a STUN server (usually stun.yourvoipprovider.com
    or nat.yourvoipprovider.com)in the ATA config or set up port forwarding
    on the router

    Personally I use a STUN server without any port forwarding without issues
    Mark, May 7, 2006
  4. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    On Sat, 6 May 2006 23:58:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Ian,

    <SNIP>
    >If you can give us some more details about what you have already in terms
    >of equipment, i.e. are you using ADSL over a BT line or a cable modem,
    >what make of modem/router etc. then we can advise further.

    <SNIP>

    >Hope this helps a little bit and that I haven't put you off..!
    >
    >Ivor

    Ivor

    What I have is as follows. ADSL via a BT line right on the edge of
    capability being 7 Km from the exchange, all I get is 512 KB/s. I have a
    NetXQ router/modem that has wireless connectivity and three spare wired
    Ethernet ports. I thought there was a system that used wireless
    connection or an adapter that would plug into an ADSL filter that was
    remote from the PC. You see, my PC is in the office upstairs and the
    wireless side of things is for use by my family who often turn up at
    home with their laptops. Hope this makes things a little clearer.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
    Tested on: 07/05/2006 17:32:59
    Ian Pollard, May 7, 2006
  5. Ian Pollard

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ian Pollard" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > What I have is as follows. ADSL via a BT line right on
    > the edge of capability being 7 Km from the exchange, all
    > I get is 512 KB/s. I have a NetXQ router/modem that has
    > wireless connectivity and three spare wired Ethernet
    > ports. I thought there was a system that used wireless
    > connection or an adapter that would plug into an ADSL
    > filter that was remote from the PC. You see, my PC is in
    > the office upstairs and the wireless side of things is
    > for use by my family who often turn up at home with their
    > laptops. Hope this makes things a little clearer.

    Ok, well if you have spare ethernet ports then there are any number of
    ATA's (Analogue Telephone Adaptors) that will do the job. If you want to
    use the phone remote from the location of the router then you can use a
    DECT cordless phone. You could run telephone or network cabling from the
    router/ATA to wherever you want, but that may be OTT for your needs.

    As regards choice of ATA, my personal favourite would be something from
    the Sipura stable, see www.sipura.com but they have an awful lot of
    configurable options that a newcomer might find confusing (although most
    don't need changing from the defaults). Grandstream do a couple of simple
    units, but the build quality of them isn't up to much IMO. Plenty of
    people here will give you recommendations if you ask, or you could check
    out the various web forums, www.voxilla.com is a good place to start.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 7, 2006
  6. Ian Pollard

    fred Guest

    > On Sat, 6 May 2006 23:58:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Ian,

    > <SNIP>
    >>If you can give us some more details about what you have already in terms
    >>of equipment, i.e. are you using ADSL over a BT line or a cable modem,
    >>what make of modem/router etc. then we can advise further.
    >>

    > <SNIP>
    >>
    >>Hope this helps a little bit and that I haven't put you off..!
    >>
    >>Ivor

    > Ivor
    >
    > What I have is as follows. ADSL via a BT line right on the edge of
    > capability being 7 Km from the exchange, all I get is 512 KB/s. I have a
    > NetXQ router/modem that has wireless connectivity and three spare wired
    > Ethernet ports. I thought there was a system that used wireless
    > connection or an adapter that would plug into an ADSL filter that was
    > remote from the PC. You see, my PC is in the office upstairs and the
    > wireless side of things is for use by my family who often turn up at
    > home with their laptops. Hope this makes things a little clearer.
    >
    > Ian
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
    > Tested on: 07/05/2006 17:32:59

    Hi Ian
    You will be able to plug in an ATA adaptor to your router via a spare
    ethernet port and then connect a normal dect phone to your ATA adaptor to
    make/receive calls throughout the house. If you want the easiest way then
    you can simply buy one of the voip packages avaiable on the high street eg
    Vonage/Freetalk. Or you could buy an unlocked ATA adaptor eg Linksys PAP2
    for about £40-45 and then sign up with any voip provider you like except
    Vonage/Freetalk as they lock their ATA's to their network. Hope this helps.
    Fred.
    fred, May 7, 2006