    they can download MP3 because Kazaa use any open TCP port including port
    80. Anyone knows how to effectively block
    Kazaa from a hardware router?

    SURFboard, Oct 1, 2003

  2. SURFboard

    Britten Guest

    he needs to beat the crap out of the kids..... they need to respect
    what the rules of the house are..... this is whts wrong with the world
    today.... stupid spoiled brats are running a muck!

    i'd try:

    take the laptops from the kids and make them give me admin rights and
    then lock them out with only user rights so they cannot install any
    software.... you will have to install any software from the admin
    account... so only let them have user accounts with enough rights to
    do what they need for school..... when they learn their lesson then
    maybe you can trust them with more rights.... and basically thats how
    children should be raised.....

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 01:13:59 -0700, SURFboard <>
    wrote:

    >Okay, we're all threading about RIAA's FUD sue 'em all, bla-bla-blah.
    >But here's a problem. My computer challenged compadre got DSL
    >connection. I got him a D-Link DI-614+ to block Kazaa from his 2 minor
    >boys (both honor students at magnet school, has laptop provided by the
    >school). I already blocked the outgoing TCP port 1200 to 1290 but still
    >they can download MP3 because Kazaa use any open TCP port including port
    >80. Anyone knows how to effectively block
    >Kazaa from a hardware router?

    x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    Britten, Oct 1, 2003

  3. SURFboard

    Lucifer Guest

    If your "compadre" is paying for his DSL connection then HE should tell his
    kids to respect it. If he doesn't want them on Kazaa, downloading porn, or
    whatever, it should be his responsibility to tell them NO! Won't listen?
    Take the laptops and send them back or lock their internet connection
    altogether. If these kids were mine, they wouldn't have their laptops much
    longer -- school provided or not.

    Lucifer, Oct 1, 2003
  4. SURFboard

    Bryce Guest

    I agree. Bitch slap 'em until they don't do it anymore. Afterall, they are
    kids.

    Bryce, Oct 1, 2003
  5. SURFboard

    kroesjnov Guest

    SURFboard wrote:
    > I already blocked the outgoing TCP port 1200 to 1290
    > but still they can download MP3 because Kazaa use any open TCP port
    > including port
    > 80. Anyone knows how to effectively block
    > Kazaa from a hardware router?

    1) You can forget about a hardware router in this context, since they do not
    support packet filtering (which is what you would want, since you only wish
    to block data from kazaa, and not all all HTTP data).
    2) But as we are on the subject, I was just looking into the same subject
    today, and ran into a solution (if your a linux user and have a spare
    computer, otherwise skip to 3)
    http://www.bandwidtharbitrator.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3#2b
    3) In your case it seems a hostbased application firewall will provide the
    best solution.

    --
    "Wisdom lies not in obtaining knowledge, but in using it in the right way"
    - kroesjnov

    http://www.securitydatabase.net
    http://www.mostly-harmless.nl
    http://www.outerbrains.nl
    email: rnet (remove inter to reply)
    UIN: 85685870
    MSN:

    kroesjnov, Oct 1, 2003
  6. SURFboard

    Guest

    SURFboard <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Anyone knows how to effectively block
    > Kazaa from a hardware router?

    Apart for the child-rearing tips others have provided, you may be able
    to restrict by IP address. Ask your kids for a list of web sites they
    need to access for their schoolwork, do your nslookup or host command
    to determine the IP address for those sites, then whitelist only those
    sites in your firewall.

    For locking down the laptops, you can install a software firewall that
    does application-level inspection and requires a password to modify or
    terminate. I believe both Zone Alarm and Kerio offer these features.
    Configure the firewall to deny access to the Kazaa software, then you
    don't need to restrict by port or IP. Of course, since the firewall
    is protected, you could still block all but port 80 and then to
    specific sites or IP ranges, and you should use a very complicated
    password so your kids can't easily break it.

    , Oct 1, 2003
  7. SURFboard

    Mimic Guest

    "SURFboard" <> wrote in message
    > Okay, we're all threading about RIAA's FUD sue 'em all, bla-bla-blah.
    > But here's a problem. My computer challenged compadre got DSL
    > connection. I got him a D-Link DI-614+ to block Kazaa from his 2 minor
    > boys (both honor students at magnet school, has laptop provided by the
    > school). I already blocked the outgoing TCP port 1200 to 1290 but still
    > they can download MP3 because Kazaa use any open TCP port including port
    > 80. Anyone knows how to effectively block
    > Kazaa from a hardware router?

    Just tell them to not to share anything, this will put them
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy down the list, right at the bottom of
    the 60million people that use it.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Oct 2, 2003
  8. SURFboard

    Virus Guest

    "Mimic" <> wrote in message
    > "SURFboard" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone knows how to effectively block
    > > Kazaa from a hardware router?
    > >

    > Just tell them to not to share anything, this will put them
    > waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy down the list, right at the bottom of
    > the 60million people that use it.

    heh, even they could override this with some k-lite tricks

    Virus, Oct 2, 2003
  9. SURFboard

    Mimic Guest

    "Virus" <> wrote in message news:blgvcr$sqd$...

    > > Just tell them to not to share anything, this will put them
    > > waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy down the list, right at the bottom

    of
    > > the 60million people that use it.
    > >

    > heh, even they could override this with some k-lite tricks

    yeah but lets be fair, kids hate to share, why would they wanna let someone
    else take up their bandwidth :p

    I think the OP should note that there is nothing illegal or wrong about
    Kazaa and P2P software, its a good method of distributing self works such as
    articles, papers and documents, music, images etc, I think its narrow minded
    to think that Kazaa is bad and people should be not allowed to use it.

    Education not Elimination!!

    Mimic, Oct 2, 2003
  10. SURFboard

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:03:09 +0100, "Mimic" <> wrote:

    >I think the OP should note that there is nothing illegal or wrong about
    >Kazaa and P2P software, its a good method of distributing self works such as
    >articles, papers and documents, music, images etc, I think its narrow minded
    >to think that Kazaa is bad and people should be not allowed to use it.
    >
    >Education not Elimination!!

    It depends on the bandwidth you have available as one heavy kazza user
    can be death to an adsl connection which otherwise serves a small
    network. Its also a severe security risk.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 2, 2003
  11. SURFboard

    Mimic Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:03:09 +0100, "Mimic" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I think the OP should note that there is nothing illegal or wrong about
    > >Kazaa and P2P software, its a good method of distributing self works such

    as
    > >articles, papers and documents, music, images etc, I think its narrow

    minded
    > >to think that Kazaa is bad and people should be not allowed to use it.
    > >
    > >Education not Elimination!!

    > It depends on the bandwidth you have available as one heavy kazza user
    > can be death to an adsl connection which otherwise serves a small
    > network. Its also a severe security risk.
    > --
    > Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    uhuh, i know if i had dsl i still wouldnt share, :p it would be my DSL
    alllllllll mine muhahahaha

    Mimic, Oct 3, 2003
  12. SURFboard

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 01:45:27 +0100, "Mimic" <> wrote:

    >uhuh, i know if i had dsl i still wouldnt share, :p it would be my DSL
    >alllllllll mine muhahahaha

    But what would you do with it all :)

    We spend a lot of time sorting out the clients kids machines that have
    been fubar'd by the shite that comes with kazza, and all you need is
    one idiot on a corporate network to install it and its chaos.

    In this case I hope the evil bastards of the music industry shut down
    p2p systems because the evil bastards that run them are worse.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 3, 2003
  13. SURFboard

    Mimic Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > In this case I hope the evil bastards of the music industry shut down
    > p2p systems because the evil bastards that run them are worse.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    :O well each to their own i guess.

    Mimic, Oct 3, 2003
  14. SURFboard

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 14:11:39 +0100, "Mimic" <> wrote:

    >"Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >> In this case I hope the evil bastards of the music industry shut down
    >> p2p systems because the evil bastards that run them are worse.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    >:O well each to their own i guess.

    Saw one today with a 'fun' dialer that called a premium number
    rated at 90 euros a go. Thankfully there was no modem installed.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 3, 2003
  15. SURFboard

    blkjak Guest

    sounds like the Animals may be running the circus!!

    blkjak

    blkjak, Oct 3, 2003
  16. SURFboard

    sponge Guest

    wrote:

    >Okay, we're all threading about RIAA's FUD sue 'em all, bla-bla-blah.
    >But here's a problem. My computer challenged compadre got DSL
    >connection. I got him a D-Link DI-614+ to block Kazaa from his 2

    minor
    >boys (both honor students at magnet school, has laptop provided by

    the
    >school). I already blocked the outgoing TCP port 1200 to 1290 but

    still
    >they can download MP3 because Kazaa use any open TCP port including

    port
    >80. Anyone knows how to effectively block
    >Kazaa from a hardware router?

    Can't be done effectively with a router. There are four ways you can
    do it aside from installing policy enforcement software or writing
    your own "KaZaa killer". I suppose setting "kill bits" in the laptop's
    registry MIGHT work, but I haven't tried that yet.

    First trick:
    You *could* install Snort, with FlexResp support, preferably on
    another machine if your friend is on a network, with the following
    lines in your config file:

    activate udp any -> $internal any (content:"KaZaA"; resp: icmp_host;
    activates: 1;)
    dynamic tcp any -> $internal any (activated_by: 1, resp: rst_all;)
    dynamic udp any -> $internal any (activated_by: 1, icmp_all;)

    This should kill the KaZaa connections. Only catch is it could turn
    into a DoS of the laptop, and clutter the network with traffic. But at
    least that will stop KaZaa too. Haven't tried it yet though.

    Second trick:
    If it's really KaZaa proper, run an anti-spyware program like SpyBot
    periodically, perhaps even at startup. That'll remove the parasites,
    and KaZaa won't work. KaZaaLite will, though, if the kids are aware
    enough to use it.

    Third trick:
    If the laptop is an NT machine (Windows 2000 or XP), have Dad set
    himself up as Administrator with a good password and the kids as
    users. That'll prevent them from doing installations. Not foolproof by
    a longshot, but nothing is when one with has physical access to a
    machine.

    Fourth trick:
    Tell your friend to take the &#^ computer away, regardless of what the
    school says. That'll be embarassing for the kids to explain too.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Secure Solutions
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    My new email: yosponge2 et yahoo dot com

    sponge, Oct 4, 2003
  17. SURFboard

    Chuck Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:32:44 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 14:11:39 +0100, "Mimic" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >>> In this case I hope the evil bastards of the music industry shut down
    >>> p2p systems because the evil bastards that run them are worse.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    >>:O well each to their own i guess.

    >Saw one today with a 'fun' dialer that called a premium number
    >rated at 90 euros a go. Thankfully there was no modem installed.

    Yet another reason to tell folks on dialup to disable their internal
    modems.

    Chuck

    Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

    Chuck, Oct 6, 2003
  18. SURFboard

    kroesjnov Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    > Yet another reason to tell folks on dialup to disable their internal
    > modems.

    It does nto mather if a modem is internel, external or onboard.
    As long as it is on, and hooked up to a phone-line, a dailer can use it.

    kroesjnov, Oct 6, 2003
  19. SURFboard

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:12:10 +0200, "kroesjnov"
    <> wrote:

    >Chuck wrote:
    >> Yet another reason to tell folks on dialup to disable their internal
    >> modems.

    >It does nto mather if a modem is internel, external or onboard.
    >As long as it is on, and hooked up to a phone-line, a dailer can use it.

    OK, I'll be more specific. All the more reason to tell folks on
    dialup to disable their internal modems, and use a NAT router that
    supports PPP. The NAT router will manage the modem (either part of
    the router, or externally connected), and filter a lot of background
    noise and hack attempts.

    Chuck, Oct 6, 2003