    difference since I have no commercial experience?

    If any1 could answer my question it would be greatly appreciated

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Tim

    Guest Guest

    Anything that would make you stand out from other candidates would be
    useful. However, if you have only general knowledge of C++ and SQL but no
    specific knowledge of Visual Studio.NET and MS SQL Server, then there will
    be a steep learning curve.

    WKidd

    Guest, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Tim

    Guest Guest

    Upon graduating with a computer science degree, I was
    pretty much in the same situation as you.
    Looking for work in 2003 was very tough, but I didn't sit
    on my ass and do nothing. So I studied to get asp .net
    certification. I got in a a few months.
    I can say that just that one certification got me my
    present job and a handful of interviews. You will
    definitely be above your fellow graduates in the microsoft
    development arena. Go for it.

    R.K.

    Guest, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Tim

    Guest Guest

    In addition to the above, I would also like to add that (depending on the
    company) a 4 year degree is required by many IT departments, regardless of
    what skills or past experience you may have. Other companies may hire in
    developers without a degree just to fill a technical slot, but will promote
    to management level only those with a degree. Once someone starts working 5
    x 8, it's hard to find time to complete a degree, so the fact that you
    already have one coming out the gate is an advantage in your favor.

    WKidd

    Guest, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Having gone down this road as well. I can say that the .NET certification
    really serves more than the purpose of resume padding. You learn the
    material and it provides some proof that you have more than the general
    education acquired from a degree. If you can pick up some volunteer work or
    the like that can show some experience that will also help.
    Good luck..
    Scott

    Scott Brookhart, Aug 17, 2004
  6. You might want to think about asking this question on slashdot.org or a Java
    board. I agree that the MCSD is a good thing to have. I'm working on
    getting mine, but I think it greatly depends on the kind of development you'd
    like to do.

    I'd look at the places you'd like to work, find out what they are using and
    study up (or get certified) on that. If you're in the situation where you
    just need to find a job, I'm positive the MCSD will give you a leg up. If
    nothing else it shows a comitment to your industry.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZWR3aWxsaQ==?=, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Thanks guys, your feedback has been really helpful. I feel a lot more
    confident with what I have to do now.

    Thanks again,

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 19, 2004
  9. > If you can pick up some volunteer work or
    >the like that can show some experience that will also help.

    As RL (Bob) Coppedge has stated before.... get involved, get your face
    known and contribute. User groups are great way to do this.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 22, 2004
  10. >In addition to the above, I would also like to add that (depending on the
    >company) a 4 year degree is required by many IT departments, regardless of
    >what skills or past experience you may have.

    I disagree; to get into the profession yes, but not once you have a
    number of years (5+) experience. The business knowledge gained in
    those years is of far more worth than any degree or cert, if any
    company's don't recognize that, well that's their lose.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 22, 2004
  11. >My question is, should I try and
    >attain MCSD .Net certification? Or is it still going to make no
    >difference since I have no commercial experience?

    Put it this way, it will do you no harm.

    In addition be prepared to relocate.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 22, 2004