How to widen angle of view?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jak bute, Aug 11, 2010.

  1. jak bute

    jak bute Guest

    Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view in my
    photos?

    View from a rooftop in Wimbledon, London, UK
    http://bayimg.com/aANiGaAcf.jpg

    View from a hilltop of Pao de Acucar, Rio, Brazil
    http://bayimg.com/cAnIKaACF.jpg

    View from a rooftop in R. Piragibe Frota Aguiar, Rio
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsvfXri

    -hb-
    (the REAL hummingbird)
    --
    "All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
    and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

    Warning to criminals: all my images are copyright
     
    jak bute, Aug 11, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. jak bute

    dadiOH Guest

    jak bute wrote:
    > Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view in
    > my photos?


    You mean as if you'd photographed with a shorter focal length lens? If it
    ain't in the photo nothing can put it there.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
     
    dadiOH, Aug 11, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. jak bute

    Irwell Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:37:18 +0200, jak bute wrote:

    > Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view in my
    > photos?
    >

    Helicon Filter has distortion capabilities.
     
    Irwell, Aug 11, 2010
    #3
  4. jak bute

    DanP Guest

    On Aug 11, 3:37 pm, jak bute <> wrote:
    > Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view in my
    > photos?
    >
    > View from a rooftop in Wimbledon, London, UKhttp://bayimg.com/aANiGaAcf.jpg
    >
    > View from a hilltop of Pao de Acucar, Rio, Brazilhttp://bayimg.com/cAnIKaACF.jpg
    >
    > View from a rooftop in R. Piragibe Frota Aguiar, Riohttp://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsvfXri
    >
    > -hb-
    > (the REAL hummingbird)
    > --
    >  "All truth passes through three stages.
    >  First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
    >  and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    >  (Arthur Schopenhauer)
    >
    >  Warning to criminals: all my images are copyright


    Cover the view you want with a few shots then stitch them together.
    http://hugin.sourceforge.net/download/
    Anyone with half a brain can do it.

    DanP
     
    DanP, Aug 11, 2010
    #4
  5. jak bute

    jak bute Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:49:15 -0700 (PDT), DanP wrote :
    > On Aug 11, 3:37 pm, jak bute <> wrote:
    > > Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view in my
    > > photos?
    > >
    > > View from a rooftop in Wimbledon, London, UK
    > > http://bayimg.com/aANiGaAcf.jpg
    > >
    > > View from a hilltop of Pao de Acucar, Rio, Brazil
    > > http://bayimg.com/cAnIKaACF.jpg
    > >
    > > View from a rooftop in R. Piragibe Frota Aguiar, Rio
    > > http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsvfXri
    > >
    > > -hb-
    > > (the REAL hummingbird)
    > > --
    > >  "All truth passes through three stages.
    > >  First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
    > >  and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    > >  (Arthur Schopenhauer)
    > >
    > >  Warning to criminals: all my images are copyright

    >
    > Cover the view you want with a few shots then stitch them together.
    > http://hugin.sourceforge.net/download/
    > Anyone with half a brain can do it.
    >
    > DanP


    The only person here with half a brain is you.

    Anyway, who asked for your opinion?

    -hb-
    (the REAL hummingbird)
    --
    "All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
    and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

    Warning to criminals: all my images are copyright
     
    jak bute, Aug 11, 2010
    #5
  6. jak bute

    hummingbird Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:59:14 -0400, Mark F wrote :
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:37:18 +0200, jak bute
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view in my
    > > photos?

    > Morphing SOFTWARE can't widen the angle of view.
    >
    > You could:
    > . crop so the image is wider compared to height, but the angle of
    > view actually remains the same.
    > . pan and stitch, so the final image has a wider angle of view
    > . use a telecompressor in back of the lens to increase the angle of
    > view, then crop so only the horizontal range is extended
    > . use a telecompressor in front of the lens - also increases angle
    > of view, but probably inferior to using one in back of the lens
    > . use an anamorphic lens converter in front of the lens.
    > (These were available for
    > camcorders a few years ago for around US$100 to allow doing 16:9
    > recording on a 4:3 camera, but I didn't find any around that price
    > now. Canon RATIO CONVERTER RC-72 for about US$250 was a close as I
    > found. Note that these were likely made for NTSC camcorders, so
    > the optical quality might not be as good as is needed now-a-days.)
    > There also were some in the US$1000 range for use with projectors.
    > . use an anamorphic lens converter in back of the lens. (Think
    > US$10K-25K
    >
    > Or, going beyond addons to your existing lens: I couldn't find any
    > actual anamorphic lenses, but CinemaScope should have them and
    > www.red.com seems to. Red Pro prim 25mm has about 56 degree by 31
    > degree field of view, about 1.8:1 (16:9 is 1.777:1)
    >
    > >
    > > View from a rooftop in Wimbledon, London, UK
    > > http://bayimg.com/aANiGaAcf.jpg
    > >
    > > View from a hilltop of Pao de Acucar, Rio, Brazil
    > > http://bayimg.com/cAnIKaACF.jpg
    > >
    > > View from a rooftop in R. Piragibe Frota Aguiar, Rio
    > > http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsvfXri
    > >
    > > -hb-
    > > (the REAL hummingbird)


    What are yer talking about? I want software to include more of the
    panorama than I've already got in my pictures. Like the "landscape"
    setting on my compact digicam but with more picture.

    -hb-
    (the REAL hummingbird)
    --
    "All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
    and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

    Warning to criminals: all my images are copyright.
     
    hummingbird, Aug 11, 2010
    #6
  7. jak bute

    Peter Guest

    "hummingbird" <hummingbird@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:59:14 -0400, Mark F wrote :
    >> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:37:18 +0200, jak bute
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view in my
    >> > photos?

    >> Morphing SOFTWARE can't widen the angle of view.
    >>
    >> You could:
    >> . crop so the image is wider compared to height, but the angle of
    >> view actually remains the same.
    >> . pan and stitch, so the final image has a wider angle of view
    >> . use a telecompressor in back of the lens to increase the angle of
    >> view, then crop so only the horizontal range is extended
    >> . use a telecompressor in front of the lens - also increases angle
    >> of view, but probably inferior to using one in back of the lens
    >> . use an anamorphic lens converter in front of the lens.
    >> (These were available for
    >> camcorders a few years ago for around US$100 to allow doing 16:9
    >> recording on a 4:3 camera, but I didn't find any around that price
    >> now. Canon RATIO CONVERTER RC-72 for about US$250 was a close as I
    >> found. Note that these were likely made for NTSC camcorders, so
    >> the optical quality might not be as good as is needed now-a-days.)
    >> There also were some in the US$1000 range for use with projectors.
    >> . use an anamorphic lens converter in back of the lens. (Think
    >> US$10K-25K
    >>
    >> Or, going beyond addons to your existing lens: I couldn't find any
    >> actual anamorphic lenses, but CinemaScope should have them and
    >> www.red.com seems to. Red Pro prim 25mm has about 56 degree by 31
    >> degree field of view, about 1.8:1 (16:9 is 1.777:1)
    >>
    >> >
    >> > View from a rooftop in Wimbledon, London, UK
    >> > http://bayimg.com/aANiGaAcf.jpg
    >> >
    >> > View from a hilltop of Pao de Acucar, Rio, Brazil
    >> > http://bayimg.com/cAnIKaACF.jpg
    >> >
    >> > View from a rooftop in R. Piragibe Frota Aguiar, Rio
    >> > http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsvfXri
    >> >
    >> > -hb-
    >> > (the REAL hummingbird)

    >
    > What are yer talking about? I want software to include more of the
    > panorama than I've already got in my pictures. Like the "landscape"
    > setting on my compact digicam but with more picture.


    IOW do you want software to include more shots that are already in your
    camera, or do you want softwear to include shots for which you have no
    image?

    If you checki the archives, I posted a link to a pano device that will go
    360 degrees.

    Here is a pure software link.
    http://www.ptgui.com/





    --
    Peter
     
    Peter, Aug 11, 2010
    #7
  8. jak bute

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:37:38 +0100, hummingbird
    <hummingbird@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >What are yer talking about? I want software to include more of the
    >panorama than I've already got in my pictures. Like the "landscape"
    >setting on my compact digicam but with more picture.


    The software that does this comes with the camera that changes gray
    sky to blue sky.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2010
    #8
  9. jak bute

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:37:38 +0100, hummingbird
    > <hummingbird@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >>What are yer talking about? I want software to include more of the
    >>panorama than I've already got in my pictures. Like the "landscape"
    >>setting on my compact digicam but with more picture.

    >
    > The software that does this comes with the camera that changes gray
    > sky to blue sky.
    >



    If you interpreted his meaning correctly, that software also produces images
    without a camera or any other input device.


    --
    Peter
     
    Peter, Aug 11, 2010
    #9
  10. jak bute

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:07:43 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:37:38 +0100, hummingbird
    >> <hummingbird@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What are yer talking about? I want software to include more of the
    >>>panorama than I've already got in my pictures. Like the "landscape"
    >>>setting on my compact digicam but with more picture.

    >>
    >> The software that does this comes with the camera that changes gray
    >> sky to blue sky.
    >>

    >
    >
    >If you interpreted his meaning correctly, that software also produces images
    >without a camera or any other input device.


    I interpreted it correctly. He wants a Siskerized image capture
    system.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2010
    #10
  11. jak bute

    Franklin Guest

    Irwell wrote:
    >Helicon Filter has distortion capabilities.


    Anything that allows "za kAT" (posting today as "jak bute") to increase
    distortion of anything will be very appealing to him. He's not known for
    being able to deal with reality yer know, A very sad person all in all.


    Franklin
    (the REAL Franklin)

    --
    "slime's my name and slime's my game"
     
    Franklin, Aug 12, 2010
    #11
  12. jak bute

    socket Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2010-08-11 13:37:38 -0700, hummingbird <hummingbird@127.0.0.1>
    > said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:59:14 -0400, Mark F wrote :
    >>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:37:18 +0200, jak bute
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view
    >>>> in my photos?
    >>>
    >>> Morphing SOFTWARE can't widen the angle of view.
    >>>
    >>> You could:
    >>> . crop so the image is wider compared to height, but the angle of
    >>> view actually remains the same.
    >>> . pan and stitch, so the final image has a wider angle of view
    >>> . use a telecompressor in back of the lens to increase the angle of
    >>> view, then crop so only the horizontal range is extended
    >>> . use a telecompressor in front of the lens - also increases angle
    >>> of view, but probably inferior to using one in back of the lens
    >>> . use an anamorphic lens converter in front of the lens.
    >>> (These were available for
    >>> camcorders a few years ago for around US$100 to allow doing 16:9
    >>> recording on a 4:3 camera, but I didn't find any around that price
    >>> now. Canon RATIO CONVERTER RC-72 for about US$250 was a close as I
    >>> found. Note that these were likely made for NTSC camcorders, so
    >>> the optical quality might not be as good as is needed now-a-days.)
    >>> There also were some in the US$1000 range for use with projectors.
    >>> . use an anamorphic lens converter in back of the lens. (Think
    >>> US$10K-25K
    >>>
    >>> Or, going beyond addons to your existing lens: I couldn't find any
    >>> actual anamorphic lenses, but CinemaScope should have them and
    >>> www.red.com seems to. Red Pro prim 25mm has about 56 degree by 31
    >>> degree field of view, about 1.8:1 (16:9 is 1.777:1)
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> View from a rooftop in Wimbledon, London, UK
    >>>> http://bayimg.com/aANiGaAcf.jpg
    >>>>
    >>>> View from a hilltop of Pao de Acucar, Rio, Brazil
    >>>> http://bayimg.com/cAnIKaACF.jpg
    >>>>
    >>>> View from a rooftop in R. Piragibe Frota Aguiar, Rio
    >>>> http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsvfXri
    >>>>
    >>>> -hb-
    >>>> (the REAL hummingbird)

    >>
    >> What are yer talking about? I want software to include more of the
    >> panorama than I've already got in my pictures. Like the "landscape"
    >> setting on my compact digicam but with more picture.
    >>
    >> -hb-
    >> (the REAL hummingbird)

    >
    > What are you talking about?
    >
    > All the "landscape" setting on your compact camera does is a
    > letterbox crop. It does not create visual data which it did not
    > capture. If you want more of a panorama "picture", you are going
    > to have to take more shots for SW stitching.
    >
    > If you want less of a narrow strip effect, take the shots with
    > the camera oriented in the "portrait" or vertical position, and
    > take enough overlapped shots to capture the panorama you want.
    > You will not be able to suck more data out of thin air with
    > software.


    He obviously wants to widen the landscape beyond the images he has
    taken. If you don't have anything useful to say to him then don't say
    it.

    HTH

    -socket
     
    socket, Aug 12, 2010
    #12
  13. jak bute

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:48:51 +0200, socket <> wrote:

    >Savageduck wrote:
    >
    >> On 2010-08-11 13:37:38 -0700, hummingbird <hummingbird@127.0.0.1>
    >> said:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:59:14 -0400, Mark F wrote :
    >>>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:37:18 +0200, jak bute
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Is there some morphing software which can widen the angle of view
    >>>>> in my photos?
    >>>>
    >>>> Morphing SOFTWARE can't widen the angle of view.
    >>>>
    >>>> You could:
    >>>> . crop so the image is wider compared to height, but the angle of
    >>>> view actually remains the same.
    >>>> . pan and stitch, so the final image has a wider angle of view
    >>>> . use a telecompressor in back of the lens to increase the angle of
    >>>> view, then crop so only the horizontal range is extended
    >>>> . use a telecompressor in front of the lens - also increases angle
    >>>> of view, but probably inferior to using one in back of the lens
    >>>> . use an anamorphic lens converter in front of the lens.
    >>>> (These were available for
    >>>> camcorders a few years ago for around US$100 to allow doing 16:9
    >>>> recording on a 4:3 camera, but I didn't find any around that price
    >>>> now. Canon RATIO CONVERTER RC-72 for about US$250 was a close as I
    >>>> found. Note that these were likely made for NTSC camcorders, so
    >>>> the optical quality might not be as good as is needed now-a-days.)
    >>>> There also were some in the US$1000 range for use with projectors.
    >>>> . use an anamorphic lens converter in back of the lens. (Think
    >>>> US$10K-25K
    >>>>
    >>>> Or, going beyond addons to your existing lens: I couldn't find any
    >>>> actual anamorphic lenses, but CinemaScope should have them and
    >>>> www.red.com seems to. Red Pro prim 25mm has about 56 degree by 31
    >>>> degree field of view, about 1.8:1 (16:9 is 1.777:1)
    >>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> View from a rooftop in Wimbledon, London, UK
    >>>>> http://bayimg.com/aANiGaAcf.jpg
    >>>>>
    >>>>> View from a hilltop of Pao de Acucar, Rio, Brazil
    >>>>> http://bayimg.com/cAnIKaACF.jpg
    >>>>>
    >>>>> View from a rooftop in R. Piragibe Frota Aguiar, Rio
    >>>>> http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsvfXri
    >>>>>
    >>>>> -hb-
    >>>>> (the REAL hummingbird)
    >>>
    >>> What are yer talking about? I want software to include more of the
    >>> panorama than I've already got in my pictures. Like the "landscape"
    >>> setting on my compact digicam but with more picture.
    >>>
    >>> -hb-
    >>> (the REAL hummingbird)

    >>
    >> What are you talking about?
    >>
    >> All the "landscape" setting on your compact camera does is a
    >> letterbox crop. It does not create visual data which it did not
    >> capture. If you want more of a panorama "picture", you are going
    >> to have to take more shots for SW stitching.
    >>
    >> If you want less of a narrow strip effect, take the shots with
    >> the camera oriented in the "portrait" or vertical position, and
    >> take enough overlapped shots to capture the panorama you want.
    >> You will not be able to suck more data out of thin air with
    >> software.

    >
    >He obviously wants to widen the landscape beyond the images he has
    >taken. If you don't have anything useful to say to him then don't say
    >it.
    >

    How can you say anything "useful" to someone who is looking for
    software that will include in an image what wasn't in the photograph
    that was taken?


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 12, 2010
    #13
  14. jak bute

    Franklin Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    >How can you say anything "useful" to someone who is looking for
    >software that will include in an image what wasn't in the photograph
    >that was taken?


    You could always tell the troll "za kAT" to fcuk off.
    That would be useful. And if he says that it was ME who posted the
    original troll, I deny it.

    Franklin
    (the REAL Franklin)

    --
    "slime's my name and slime's my game"
     
    Franklin, Aug 13, 2010
    #14
  15. jak bute

    John Turco Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > On 2010-08-11 13:37:38 -0700, hummingbird <hummingbird@127.0.0.1> said:


    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > > What are yer talking about? I want software to include more of the
    > > panorama than I've already got in my pictures. Like the "landscape"
    > > setting on my compact digicam but with more picture.
    > >
    > > -hb-
    > > (the REAL hummingbird)

    >
    > What are you talking about?
    >
    > All the "landscape" setting on your compact camera does is a letterbox
    > crop. It does not create visual data which it did not capture.
    > If you want more of a panorama "picture", you are going to have to take
    > more shots for SW stitching.
    > If you want less of a narrow strip effect, take the shots with the
    > camera oriented in the "portrait" or vertical position, and take enough
    > overlapped shots to capture the panorama you want. You will not be
    > able to suck more data out of thin air with software.
    >
    > This OP smells strongly of troll.



    No, it absolutely >reeks< of troll! "Hummingbird" and his playmates are
    cross-posting this garbage, from <news:alt.comp.freeware>, where their
    flame wars usually rage.

    Still, I must admit: Hummingbird and/or his impersonators, really do
    some good deadpan trolling, as it were.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>
     
    John Turco, Aug 16, 2010
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Himm
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    503
    Quivis
    May 30, 2004
  2. Captain Infinity

    Re: Widen the Google box in Firefox

    Captain Infinity, Aug 23, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,175
  3. Adriano

    Can I widen a small window?

    Adriano, Jan 29, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    498
  4. Destin_FL

    angle of view... Rebel XT... lens recomm.... etc.

    Destin_FL, Mar 8, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    287
    David Dyer-Bennet
    Mar 8, 2005
  5. Replies:
    10
    Views:
    766
    Paul Rubin
    Jan 9, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page