    person has received their MCSE certification I would appriciate it.

    Regards,
    A New Manager!
    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=, Sep 11, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=

    Foo Guest

    www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/transcripts
    to access the transcript you should get transcript ID and access code from
    your employee.

    Foo

    Foo, Sep 11, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=

    ZombyWoof Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:27:02 -0700, "Bodine95"
    <> wrote:

    >I am asking if there is a site or a way that a manager can verify if an
    >employee has truely received his and/or her MCSE certification?
    >
    >I have just been permoted into a management position and I am questioning if
    >one of my employee's has realy passed or even taken their MCSE certification
    >test. The type of questions and lack of basic server knowledge is very
    >concerning. If there is a site or number I can call to verify that this
    >person has received their MCSE certification I would appriciate it.
    >
    >Regards,
    >A New Manager!

    Well as an old (very) Manager to a new Manager do not rely on
    certifications in doing your hiring. You will be really sorry in the
    long run.

    You should be able to very quickly determine whether or not an
    interviewee has a prerequisite skill set with some basic interview
    questions. Concern yourself with the ability to perform the real
    world work your company does and not the fact that someone passed a
    test one day. Easy enough to obtain short-term memory long enough to
    pass a test, but a real bitch to retain it without practical working
    knowledge.
    ZombyWoof, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Thanks for the advise. What I am looking for is that the Employee lied about
    having the certification. There is no way this person could have passed;
    basic things like how to disable the second NIC card on the server this
    person didn't know how to perform the task.

    The real reason I asked the question about certification verication is that
    I don't have to show cause in order to fire them if they lied on their
    original application. Otherwise, after talking to HR, it could take months
    to document everything in order to fire the person. I'm looking for the
    quick fix to my problem.

    Thanks again for the advise. I will always keep that in mind during my
    interviews.

    Regards,
    Andrew (a new manager)

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=, Sep 20, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=

    Briscobar Guest

    Bodine95 <> rambled:

    > Thanks for the advise. What I am looking for is that the Employee
    > lied about having the certification. There is no way this person
    > could have passed; basic things like how to disable the second NIC
    > card on the server this person didn't know how to perform the task.
    >
    > The real reason I asked the question about certification verication
    > is that I don't have to show cause in order to fire them if they lied
    > on their original application. Otherwise, after talking to HR, it
    > could take months to document everything in order to fire the person.
    > I'm looking for the quick fix to my problem.
    >
    > Thanks again for the advise. I will always keep that in mind during
    > my interviews.

    Have him log in to https://partnering.one.microsoft.com/mcp/, and make him
    show you his transcript.

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    I'm running out of stupid stuff to write. Oh by the way: www.mcngp.com.
    Briscobar, Sep 20, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=

    ZombyWoof Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:54:04 -0700, "Bodine95"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the advise. What I am looking for is that the Employee lied about
    >having the certification. There is no way this person could have passed;
    >basic things like how to disable the second NIC card on the server this
    >person didn't know how to perform the task.
    >
    >The real reason I asked the question about certification verication is that
    >I don't have to show cause in order to fire them if they lied on their
    >original application. Otherwise, after talking to HR, it could take months
    >to document everything in order to fire the person. I'm looking for the
    >quick fix to my problem.
    >
    >Thanks again for the advise. I will always keep that in mind during my
    >interviews.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Andrew (a new manager)

    Ah, I misunderstood. We have the same policy. Lie on your
    application get shown the door.

    He should either have his hard copy or you can have him log on and
    show you his transcript and scores. Do not be surprised to find out
    that he does in fact hold what ever Certification he claims and is
    still incompetent. There are a lot of people who through short-term
    memorization are able to successfully pass these tests and still not
    be able to perform the essential critical elements of the job they
    were hired to do. The testing companies have really clamped down on
    the "ringers" sitting for exams, but that can still happen as well.

    What is the appraisal period at your company? While ours is one-year,
    nothing in corporate policy prevents one from being given monthly with
    an included work performance plan. When push comes to shove I can
    usually shit can someone within 90 days or at least get them to the
    point that they should take a clue.

    Unless there is a specific policy within your company against it; is
    also perfectly legal for you to tell this person it is their best
    career interest to resign because you are planning to begin
    documenting their lack of performance.

    ZombyWoof, Sep 23, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=

    EggHead Guest

    I bet he has the cert. MCSE does not req any hand on exp to pass. All you
    need to do is remember all the MC ans (In fact, disable NIC is not a needed
    skill). It is not CCNP or SCJD. So, you are out of luck.
    Just said his skills is outdated, and you show him the door.
    BTW, the easier way is that you ask him to show you his MCP card. You can
    said that you need his MCP number for company record or M$ program.
    Egghead

    EggHead, Sep 23, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=

    michelinesbury

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    A real MCSE's humble opinion

    I don't normally post online but this thread really hit home.

    I obtained my MCSE, CCNA, A+, Security+, etc. etc. legitimately. I studied hard, created tests environments and actually performed the exercises in the books. I passed all of my exams with reasonable grades (I was amazed when I got 98% on one of the CCNA exams). I was proud of my certifications and ready for the workforce.

    Then reality hit home. I realized that most of my classmates and most other "MCSEs" simply cheated on the exams by finding Q&A documents online (google "braindumps"...you'll see what I mean). It's no wonder I was being offered the equivalent of a McDonald's salary without any real experience. This is why my CV says: "94% overall course average". If an employer doesn't trust my certification, at least they can call the school and ask what my grades were during my technical studies.

    It took a few years of self-employment (consulting) to prove to employers that I was competent enought for a level-2 IT role.

    Here's the main reason for my post: I am planning to leave my current position due to the incompetency of a coworker - a supposed "MCSE". Whether or not this individual has the certification doesn't matter. If the proof is in the pudding, then the fact that the person doesn't know how to map a drive is the pudding.

    All this to say that certifications are great in theory. Implementing a procedure to certify individuals and eliminate the possiblility of foul play is another story. An incompetent employee, especially in IT, actually CREATES MORE WORK for other employees in your department and, in cases like mine, can lead to letters of resignation. And what kind of employee is this individual going to be in the future if they are already a cheat?

    Hope it all worked out...

    p.s. Now that I'm out of a job...do you have an empty spot to fill? :)
    michelinesbury, Aug 28, 2009
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9kaW5lOTU=?=

    optimizer

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Well here is another angle to this dilima and I need some help.

    I have been in the IT field for fourteen years and although my MCSE Cert. isn't worth a crap now a days I would still like to prove that I once received it. I had been a WAN/LAN administrator for 7yrs when I was promoted to Infrastructure Manager. I did that for 3yrs and then started my own IT consulting firm. The company did well for a few years but business is way down. I have decided it would be better for the company if I were to promote someone to take over my duties. This would help me keep a key employee that has to know he is due for an advancement or change and it allows me to go back into the workforce and create a dual income. However I made one major mistake. All my paperwork, certs, books, and etc were brought to the office and then moved into storage. Now that I want them again... no one can seem to find them. I want to show that before getting into management I had obtained my MCSE. Probably wouldn't help secure anything but I paid and sweated through it. I would love to put it on my resume again. Oh one more tidbit for everyone don't expect to get it from a past employer when you desperately need a copy. I called the test center and they told me they keep their records much longer now but they don't have them from 1999 and I would need to talk to Microsoft. I got a number for Microsoft off of a business financial profile and was transferred around but then dropped. I did it again and same thing happened I was eventually dropped. Does anyone know the actual number or dept. I could talk to and maybe get some copies? I know the year month and test center and they have my personnel information. It looks like I could make something happen here. If you don't know give me your opinions on if I should list it and explain the situation or just move on? I bet they don't even want to see one that isn't current or least not one from NT.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    optimizer, Jan 15, 2010