    I am not a techie, so I need something that can be set up and will work
    with relative simplicity.

    Thanks !

    Ric, Sep 26, 2005

  2. Ric

    Brian A Guest

    On 26 Sep 2005 03:45:38 -0700, "Ric" <> wrote:

    >I am signed up to Voipbuster, which I find is now working very nicely
    >after all the recent software updates.
    >
    >I would like to buy a 'box' that connects to the USB port on the
    >computer and to the normal phone line, and to which I can then connect
    >a normal (cordless) handset. If I understand correctly I can then
    >choose from the handset whether the call is routed through the normal
    >network or over Voipbuster.
    >
    >Are there any 'boxes' which will work like this with Voipbuster ? As
    >a second best, are there any of the USB VOIP handsets which work with
    >Voipbuster ?
    >
    >I am not a techie, so I need something that can be set up and will work
    >with relative simplicity.
    >
    >Thanks !

    My advice is don't go down the USB route. It is inflexible and for
    people who want to operate one computer and do nothing else.
    If your computer doesn't have a LAN card you can get one for under £5
    if you shop around. It only needs plugging in and it will probably
    'plug and play'. Then use a modem or router that uses standard
    ethernet RJ45s. You could then use a handytone ATA or similar.
    Alternatively get a router/modem with VOIP on it such as a Draytek.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 26, 2005

  3. Ric

    peter Guest

    I myself have a no-name USB handset and it "works" fine with
    Voipbuster. "Works" means that you can use it to speak and listen (
    just like any other audio input/output device) but not to dial - this
    you still have to do in the software directly. I doubt that there are
    any handsets that can handle dialling as well (i.e. with Voipbuster)

    A cheapo handset is less than a "USB -box". So if you have your
    computer on anyway, i'd go for a handset.

    peter, Sep 26, 2005
  4. peter wrote:
    > I myself have a no-name USB handset and it "works" fine with
    > Voipbuster. "Works" means that you can use it to speak and listen (
    > just like any other audio input/output device) but not to dial - this
    > you still have to do in the software directly. I doubt that there are
    > any handsets that can handle dialling as well (i.e. with Voipbuster)
    >
    > A cheapo handset is less than a "USB -box". So if you have your
    > computer on anyway, i'd go for a handset.

    I'm bound to say this, but you're better off buying a voip router and a
    cheap network card (if you need one).

    You can get a S/H 3-com 3c905C or an iNtel Pro 100 for £2.35 from:

    http://www.itdealers.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/21

    If you've got cable, something like:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=83046

    or

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=95427

    If you're on ADSL, then you can't go wrong with something like:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=62676

    (which was £31.91 when I bought one a few weeks ago, so the price may go
    down when they have some stock).

    The Zoom products can pass calls through to your landline, I don't know
    if this is configurable using dial plans in the way that it is with
    Sipura kit.

    Thomas Rankin, Sep 26, 2005
  5. Ric

    Ric Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have a network card and currently
    use a Linksys ADSL wireless router (wireless so that laptop can also be
    used around the house), which I had hoped not to replace.

    However, it sounds as though a new router may be the way to go. Any
    suggestins for a good value with wireless also ?

    Ric, Sep 26, 2005
  6. Ric

    Nick Guest

    "Ric" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have a network card and currently
    > use a Linksys ADSL wireless router (wireless so that laptop can also be
    > used around the house), which I had hoped not to replace.
    >
    > However, it sounds as though a new router may be the way to go. Any
    > suggestins for a good value with wireless also ?

    If the ADSL router has hardwired ports, you could buy one of the various
    ATA's around and connect it to one of the routers ports.
    This way you can use normal and wireless phones.

    Nick, Sep 26, 2005
  7. Ric

    Ric Guest

    Will any of the ATA boxes enable the normal features of a standard
    telephone handset (picking up a line, dialling and hanging up) to be
    used with Voipbuster; or are they just a means of using the voice
    functions of the handset after connecting through the normal Voipbuster
    software ? I ask because I want to encourage my non tech-savyy family
    to use VOIP.

    Ric, Sep 27, 2005
  8. Ric

    Brian A Guest

    On 27 Sep 2005 01:27:52 -0700, "Ric" <> wrote:

    >Will any of the ATA boxes enable the normal features of a standard
    >telephone handset (picking up a line, dialling and hanging up) to be
    >used with Voipbuster; or are they just a means of using the voice
    >functions of the handset after connecting through the normal Voipbuster
    >software ? I ask because I want to encourage my non tech-savyy family
    >to use VOIP.

    I am not sure what you mean by 'picking up a line, dialling and
    hanging up'.
    However, voipbuster is, for most people, outgoing only.
    They say that they plan to have an incoming line but I think that
    might be an 0845.
    You can use another provider for incoming.
    My recommendation is voipfone. You do have to pay £2/month for a
    geographic number but if you are happy with the 056 number then that
    is free.
    Voipfone, as you will see from their site, have some inclusive 'bells
    and whistles' such as answerfone, 'call waiting'.
    If you are going through their system, for making calls, you can also
    do call transfers.
    Your phone will ring in the normal way and you get the dialling tone
    as normal. Everything is much the same. However, all that depends on
    how you program your ATA. All these things are governed by that.
    When you choose your ATA you will have to make sure that it can handle
    more than one outgoing provider. One incoming is sufficient unless you
    want more than one line.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 27, 2005
  9. Ric

    peter Guest

    Short answer : Yes

    Long answer : The ATA can be set up to any SIP-based provider. Also
    VOIPbuster. Once you set it up on your ATA-box and connect a phone,
    then you can dial, talk and hang up just like with a normal phone.

    However, do bear in mind that VOipbuster is unlikely to remain free for
    ever, and some times people report engaged-tone (perhaps due to
    overload at Voipbuster). It's fun to play with, but one has to show
    some tolerance, in that hardly any VoIP-provider is up 100 % of the
    time with no drop-outs/glitches. This reuqires you to consider WAF -
    the Wife Acceptance Factor. This factor has scuttled many attempts at
    intoducing VoiP :)

    peter, Sep 27, 2005
  10. Ric

    Ric Guest

    WAF is the very issue that I face. Hence the need for some hardware
    that can be used like a normal phone from the kitchen ....

    I sense that not all ATAs will operate with all VOIP providers (even
    leaving aside the 'locking 'issue) and that there needs to be some link
    between the software that operates the ATA and that which connects to
    the VOIP provider. Or have I got this wrong ?

    I did find a device called a 'Chat Cord' (or Cable ?) which looked
    interesting and seems to have software that will enable a normal phone
    to operate the various XLite finctions. Any reports on this ?

    Ric, Sep 27, 2005
  11. Ric

    peter Guest

    Ric wrote:
    > WAF is the very issue that I face. Hence the need for some hardware
    > that can be used like a normal phone from the kitchen ....
    >
    > I sense that not all ATAs will operate with all VOIP providers (even
    > leaving aside the 'locking 'issue) and that there needs to be some link
    > between the software that operates the ATA and that which connects to
    > the VOIP provider. Or have I got this wrong ?
    >
    > I did find a device called a 'Chat Cord' (or Cable ?) which looked
    > interesting and seems to have software that will enable a normal phone
    > to operate the various XLite finctions. Any reports on this ?

    SIp-based ATA's (which is 99% at the consumer-end of the market) will
    operate with SIP-based VOIP providers (a huge majority, me thinks). An
    ATA is an all-in-one telephone-to-VOip-provider connection device - you
    have to set a few account details in it, and a few addresses eg.
    sip.voipbuster.com and such, and in principle it would run (save for a
    few potential glitches with routers). Once you are through the set-up
    "pangs" , then it should work fine and largely just like a normal
    phone. Oh yeah, and your computer can be off.

    Further, you may consider the ata's that have a POTS (Plain Old
    Telephone System) pass-through. It means that you can plug the ATA into
    your BT-socket, and in the setup of the device select whether all your
    calls, by default , should run though your BT-line or through VoIP.
    With some fiddling in the setup, such selection can be automated even,
    depending on the dialed number.
    This way you can have one telephone (plugged into the ATA) , and yet
    access both landlines and VoIP.

    Which particular ATA (I hear you ask:)? This is a bit of a theological
    discussion, so I leave the field to other entrants:)

    There are USB-boxes that can be set up to talk with SKYPE and /or
    X-Lite (but you'd have to have your computer on) so you can connect
    your normal phone to X-lite (and some VoIP provider set up on Xlite).
    If you go down this route, then check with the supplier what his
    USB-box is compatible with. I have no experience of "Chat Cord" -maybe
    someone else can enlighten you :)

    peter, Sep 27, 2005