    When I type that in the command prompt it says "'C:\Program' is not
    recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
    file."

    sally, Aug 30, 2005

  2. Blinky the Shark, Aug 30, 2005

  3. sally

    aleX Guest

    sally wrote:
    > Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
    > to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
    > directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem
    >
    > When I type that in the command prompt it says "'C:\Program' is not
    > recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
    > file."

    Good advice to have a read of that page posted in the first response.

    To go backwards through directories type

    cd ..

    When you get back to C:\ you can go forward to the program files and
    dorgem folders.

    Are you using Win98? If so you'll have to use attenuated versions of
    folder names containing spaces. So you would type

    cd prog~1\dorgem (or something similar to this - experiment!)

    aleX, Aug 30, 2005
  4. sally

    aleX Guest

    aleX wrote:

    > cd prog~1\dorgem (or something similar to this - experiment!)

    Apologies, it's:

    cd progra~1

    aleX, Aug 30, 2005
  5. sally

    Trax Guest

    sally <> wrote:

    |>Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
    |>to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
    |>directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
    |>Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem

    Create a Command Prompt shortcut to your desktop - right click and
    properties. In the start in: put in- C:\Program Files\Dorgem

    Now when you open the CMD window from the shortcut ,it will open in
    that directory.

    --

    Third world bomb squad
    http://67.50.205.164/images/firearms/3rdWorldBombSquad.wmv

    Trax, Aug 30, 2005
  6. sally

    DTDoyle Guest

    At the prompt type in
    cd c:\program files\dorgem

    cd stands for "change directory"
    once your in the directory type in "dir" to make sure the file your
    looking for is there. If the directory spills past your screen size
    type in "dir/w/p" for directory, wide, page at a time

    DTDoyle, Aug 30, 2005
  7. sally

    Buffalo Guest

    "sally" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
    > to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
    > directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem
    >
    > When I type that in the command prompt it says "'C:\Program' is not
    > recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
    > file."

    DOS only will take names up to 8 characters.
    If it is longer than eight characters, you type in the first 6 characters and
    then add a ~ and a 1.
    If you have more directories starting with program (or whatever the name is)
    and it is longer than 8 characters, they are each given a number that you will
    need to put right after the ~ sign.
    EX: progra~1 progra~2

    If you want to change drive letters, just type the drive letter and put a :
    after it and press Enter.
    Ex: D: and press Enter.
    If you type cd\ and press Enter, you will go back to the C:\ prompt. That is
    where you want to start.
    Then:
    At that prompt, type cd Progra~1 and press Enter.
    That should get you to the C'\progra~1 dir.
    Now type cd Dorgem and press Enter and you should now be at
    C\Progra~1\Dorgem.
    To see what's in the Dorgem directory, just type dir/p and press Enter.
    OR
    After you get to the C:\ prompt, just type cd Progra~1\Dorgem and press
    Enter.

    cd means 'change directory', I believe.

    cd.. takes off the end item in the line (ex:C:\Windows\System\Command if you
    do a cd.. and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows\System)

    cd... takes off the end two items (ex: C:\Windows\System\Command if you do a
    cd... and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows)

    cd\ takes it all the way back to the drive letter (ex:
    C:\Windows\System\Command if you do a cd\ and press Enter, you will end up
    with C:\ )

    For more info, use the link provided by Blinky.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Aug 30, 2005
  8. sally

    John Holmes Guest

    Buffalo blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    You fucking ****.

    --
    Your mother was a rebellious cheat who liked to do it with sailors in a
    closely guarded military establishment.

    John Holmes, Aug 30, 2005
  9. sally

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
    <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

    >DOS only will take names up to 8 characters.

    Not true on Win 2000/XP (and possibly 98, and maybe ME, can't
    remember).

    Add a quote around it:

    C:\>cd "Program Files"

    C:\Program Files>

    Evan Platt, Aug 31, 2005
  10. sally

    Sunny Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
    > <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>DOS only will take names up to 8 characters.

    > Not true on Win 2000/XP (and possibly 98, and maybe ME, can't
    > remember).

    Agree with that :) When I typed :
    xpsp2.exe /integrate:c: \xp (it worked)

    Sunny, Aug 31, 2005
  11. sally

    Trax Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    |>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
    |><eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
    |>
    |>>DOS only will take names up to 8 characters.
    |>
    |>Not true on Win 2000/XP (and possibly 98, and maybe ME, can't
    |>remember).
    |>
    |>Add a quote around it:
    |>
    |>C:\>cd "Program Files"
    |>
    |>C:\Program Files>

    Fun fact of the day, Quotes position is not that important.

    cd pro"ram fi"les works just fine

    Trax, Aug 31, 2005
  12. sally

    WormWood Guest

    "DTDoyle" wrote:
    > At the prompt type in
    > cd c:\program files\dorgem
    >
    > cd stands for "change directory"
    > once your in the directory type in "dir" to make sure the file your
    > looking for is there. If the directory spills past your screen size
    > type in "dir/w/p" for directory, wide, page at a time

    Don't forget the Space after dir/, like so: dir/ w/p

    > sally wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt?

    <snip>

    WormWood, Aug 31, 2005
  13. sally

    Buffalo Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
    > <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > >DOS only will take names up to 8 characters.

    > Not true on Win 2000/XP (and possibly 98, and maybe ME, can't
    > remember).
    >
    > Add a quote around it:
    >
    > C:\>cd "Program Files"
    >
    > C:\Program Files>

    OK dickhead, I tried to help the OP.
    WTF did you do to help the OP??

    Buffalo, Aug 31, 2005
  14. sally

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:47:14 -0600, "Buffalo"
    <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

    >OK dickhead, I tried to help the OP.
    >WTF did you do to help the OP??

    No need to show the fact that you're on the rag to everyone....

    The point I was making was if you have more than one directory with
    the first 6 letters the same, and you don't know which it is (~1, ~2,
    ~3, etc) you can type out the whole directory name in quotes.

    No need to call people names just because you were shown to be wrong.

    Evan Platt, Aug 31, 2005
  15. sally

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "sally" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
    > to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
    > directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem
    >
    > When I type that in the command prompt it says "'C:\Program' is not
    > recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
    > file."

    Read the rest of the help file:

    From version 1.2.0 Dorgem has support for multiple cameras. Using the
    command line, you can now specify different cameras. You can create a new
    configuration, by starting Dorgem with the command-line parameters:
    /c:config
    The configuration name 'config' is any name you wish as long as it only
    contains characters 'a' to 'z', 'A' to 'Z' or '0' to '9'.
    If you have two different cameras, you could make two shortcuts to start
    Dorgem with the following command-lines:
    dorgem.exe
    dorgem.exe /c:cam2

    methinks that this is above your skill level...
    but if you need to, try this to change directory:
    cd c:\program files\dorgem
    i bet you still won't figure out how to setup multiple cameras

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Aug 31, 2005
  16. sally

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
    <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

    >cd means 'change directory', I believe.

    I believe it's actually current directory.

    >cd.. takes off the end item in the line (ex:C:\Windows\System\Command if you
    >do a cd.. and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows\System)
    >
    >cd... takes off the end two items (ex: C:\Windows\System\Command if you do a
    >cd... and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows)

    You said cd .. in both lines above. No cd command AFAIK will take you
    down two levels, i.e. from C:\windows\system\command to C:\windows

    >cd\ takes it all the way back to the drive letter (ex:
    >C:\Windows\System\Command if you do a cd\ and press Enter, you will end up
    >with C:\ )

    Technically, CD\ tells you to change to the parent directory or root

    you can also type HELP <command> for many DOS commands - in this case,
    help cd <enter>.

    On XP, you can use CHDIR and not worry about quotes or spaces.

    Evan

    Evan Platt, Aug 31, 2005
  17. sally

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > Evan Platt <> wrote:

    > |>Not true on Win 2000/XP (and possibly 98, and maybe ME, can't
    > |>remember).
    > |>
    > |>Add a quote around it:
    > |>
    > |>C:\>cd "Program Files"
    > |>
    > |>C:\Program Files>
    >
    > Fun fact of the day, Quotes position is not that important.
    >
    > cd pro"ram fi"les works just fine

    don't need no stink'n quotes... unless you still live in the 16 bit world

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Aug 31, 2005
  18. sally

    Jimmy Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
    > <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>cd means 'change directory', I believe.

    > I believe it's actually current directory.
    >
    >>cd.. takes off the end item in the line (ex:C:\Windows\System\Command
    >>if you
    >>do a cd.. and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows\System)
    >>
    >>cd... takes off the end two items (ex: C:\Windows\System\Command if you
    >>do a
    >>cd... and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows)

    > You said cd .. in both lines above. No cd command AFAIK will take you
    > down two levels, i.e. from C:\windows\system\command to C:\windows

    cd ..\.. will do this.

    --
    Jimmy

    Jimmy, Aug 31, 2005
  19. sally

    Jimmy Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
    > <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>cd means 'change directory', I believe.

    > I believe it's actually current directory.
    >
    >>cd.. takes off the end item in the line (ex:C:\Windows\System\Command
    >>if you
    >>do a cd.. and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows\System)
    >>
    >>cd... takes off the end two items (ex: C:\Windows\System\Command if you
    >>do a
    >>cd... and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows)

    > You said cd .. in both lines above. No cd command AFAIK will take you
    > down two levels, i.e. from C:\windows\system\command to C:\windows

    cd ..\.. will change the prompt down two levels.

    --
    Jimmy

    Jimmy, Aug 31, 2005
  20. sally

    sally Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    Thank you all for the help, I learned a bunch. It's working great now.

    sally, Aug 31, 2005