    "syslog watcher" supposed to be able to be used for this?

    I'm using Windows Firewall on Win 7. Is it possible the firewall is
    blocking the UDP messages from the router?
    nospam, Jan 4, 2013

  2. nospam

    Dave Taylor Guest

    nospam <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have a TP-LINK W8960N router and VOIP xnet fusion. My internet
    > connection has an intermittent problem where every few weeks it has a
    > "bad day" or a bad few hours with lots of disconnections. I replaced
    > the modem and Telecom also installed a splitter and also changed me
    > onto a different pair of wires at the box out on the street but the
    > problem is still there.
    >
    > I'm now trying to use "syslog watcher" to capture diagnostic messages
    > that the router sends to UDP port 514 but i can't get syslog watcher
    > to log anything. The log in the router itself shows that it is
    > logging things but nothing at all turns up in syslog watcher. Is
    > "syslog watcher" supposed to be able to be used for this?
    >
    > I'm using Windows Firewall on Win 7. Is it possible the firewall is
    > blocking the UDP messages from the router?

    I see you also posted at anadtech

    "standalone application" mode and the IP of your PC running the app should
    be all you need, if the firewall on the computer is allowing it in.

    I use http://www.kiwisyslog.com/downloads.aspx kiwi syslog server freeware
    version.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 4, 2013

  3. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Thanks but it's still not working. If I do netstat -ano it shows a
    few TCP ports in "listening" state but no UDP ports in listening
    state. Should it show 192.168.15.100 port 514 in listening state?

    nospam, Jan 4, 2013
  4. nospam

    Dave Taylor Guest

    nospam <> wrote in

    > Thanks but it's still not working. If I do netstat -ano it shows a
    > few TCP ports in "listening" state but no UDP ports in listening
    > state. Should it show 192.168.15.100 port 514 in listening state?

    My XP computer shows UDP 0.0.0.0:514
    It doesn't have it as listening, but it is in the list of connections near
    the end

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 6, 2013