    How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?

    Thanks a lot!
    , Mar 15, 2011

  2. LouB Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > I have two wireless Belkin routers.
    >
    > One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
    > F5D8236-4, V2
    > The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
    >
    > I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
    >
    > I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
    > directly
    > into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
    >
    > How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

    Go to Belkin website and ask their tech support IF it can be done?

    Netgear routers actually have a button switch to disable wifi.
    LouB, Mar 15, 2011

  3. Brian Cryer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > I have two wireless Belkin routers.
    >
    > One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
    > F5D8236-4, V2
    > The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
    >
    > I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
    >
    > I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
    > directly
    > into this older router using the CAT5 cables.

    Wireless routers generally transmit and allow others to connect to them, but
    do not support the notion of being able to connect to a wireless network. It
    might be possible, but as LouB posted you will have to ask their technical
    support. I suspect you'll be out of luck.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Mar 15, 2011
  4. Char Jackson Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:01:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Dear Experts,
    >
    >I have two wireless Belkin routers.
    >
    >One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
    >F5D8236-4, V2
    >The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
    >
    >I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
    >
    >I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
    >directly
    >into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
    >
    >How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
    >
    >Thanks a lot!

    I believe the feature you're looking for is Wireless Client or more
    correctly Wireless Client Bridge. Some Belkin routers include the
    feature while others don't, so you'll have to log into the router and
    look around. If the feature is missing, and if your router can handle
    3rd party firmware like dd-wrt, then that will do what you want.
    Char Jackson, Mar 15, 2011
  5. In alt.internet.wireless wrote:

    : The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4

    Although I have NO experience using Belkin Routers, I have done what you
    are requesting with Linksys WRT54GL Routers using DD-WRT's Third Party
    Firmware!!! Although the Belkin F5D7230-4 Router is listed within
    DD-WRT's Router Database, whether your G-Unit will be supported depends
    upon its Revision:

    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

    : How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?

    Although DD-WRT's "Client Bridge" Mode is "Attractive" since it would
    place your "Extended" LAN on the same Subnet as the your "Main" LAN,
    with my WRT54GL Unit DD-WRT's "Client" Mode works "Best"!!! If your
    G-Unit is supported and you are going ahead with DD-WRT then I suggest
    their WiKi a good source of Information:

    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki

    Good Luck!!!

    Lawrence Houston -- ()
    Lawrence Houston, Mar 15, 2011
  6. Pen Guest

    On 3/15/2011 2:01 AM, wrote:
    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > I have two wireless Belkin routers.
    >
    > One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
    > F5D8236-4, V2
    > The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
    >
    > I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
    >
    > I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
    > directly
    > into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
    >
    > How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

    It would appear that your router can be configured as an a
    bridge. Docs here for a Wireless Distribution System.
    http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51/kw/F5D7230-4
    Pen, Mar 15, 2011
  7. Dr Who Guest

    Pen wrote:

    > On 3/15/2011 2:01 AM, wrote:
    > > Dear Experts,
    > >
    > > I have two wireless Belkin routers.
    > >
    > > One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
    > > F5D8236-4, V2
    > > The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
    > >
    > > I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
    > >
    > > I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my
    > > machines directly
    > > into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
    > >
    > > How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot!
    > >

    > It would appear that your router can be configured as an a
    > bridge. Docs here for a Wireless Distribution System.
    > http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51/kw/F5D7230-
    > 4

    WEP security level only.

    Dr Who, Mar 16, 2011
  8. I haven't confirmed this, but, I doubt the factory firmware will
    support this. Given that your router (the older one, that you want to
    act as a client) is supported by DD-WRT, I would agree with the
    suggestion of first upgrading your router to the DD-WRT as well. Just
    be sure to confirm that your version (not just model number) is
    compatible, and you load the firmware they recommend for that model
    AND version number (I don't believe you specified the version of the
    older Belkin).

    I have done what you are trying to do with my Linksys WRT54GS and
    WRT300-N. It doesn't matter which firmware your AP is running, but,
    you need a firmware that supports putting your router into a client
    mode. I personally run the DD-WRT on both because it's just so much
    better than what comes out of the box.

    There are other open source firmwares that I believe support this
    (such as Tomato or open-wrt), but, I am not familiar with them.
    Kristofer Hawkins, Mar 16, 2011
  9. NeilG Guest

    On 3/15/2011 12:33 PM, Lawrence Houston wrote:
    > In alt.internet.wireless wrote:
    >
    > : The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
    >
    > Although I have NO experience using Belkin Routers, I have done what you
    > are requesting with Linksys WRT54GL Routers using DD-WRT's Third Party
    > Firmware!!! Although the Belkin F5D7230-4 Router is listed within
    > DD-WRT's Router Database, whether your G-Unit will be supported depends
    > upon its Revision:
    >
    > http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
    >
    > : How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
    >
    > Although DD-WRT's "Client Bridge" Mode is "Attractive" since it would
    > place your "Extended" LAN on the same Subnet as the your "Main" LAN,
    > with my WRT54GL Unit DD-WRT's "Client" Mode works "Best"!!! If your
    > G-Unit is supported and you are going ahead with DD-WRT then I suggest
    > their WiKi a good source of Information:
    >
    > http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki
    >
    > Good Luck!!!
    >
    > Lawrence Houston -- ()

    I was originally going to second Lawrence's suggestion,
    based on my own experience with DD-WRT. I use DD-WRT on two
    routers, which are connected as a repeater bridge (where the
    users connect wirelessly to the second unit). It has worked
    just fine for me for over a year, and I am not a computer
    professional. (You do have to be careful about which
    versions of DD-WRT to install; go to the DD-WRT forum to
    find out, and do not rely on the database.) The security
    level on my bridge is WPA2 Personal, which is quite strong.

    However, I checked the DD-WRT database of supported units,
    and while Belkin units are supported, the database has a
    warning for all Belkin units:

    WARNING: Always use TFTP to flash Belkin routers if at
    all possible! Upgrading dd-wrt from the web interface
    can lead to a bricked (nonfunctional) unit!

    If that message means nothing to you, you should probably
    stick to the WDS instructions provided by Belkin, unless you
    need better security than WEP.

    HTH

    Neil
    NeilG, Mar 17, 2011
  10. Rich Johnson Guest

    On 3/14/2011 11:01 PM, wrote:
    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > I have two wireless Belkin routers.
    >
    > One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
    > F5D8236-4, V2
    > The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
    >
    > I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
    >
    > I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
    > directly
    > into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
    >
    > How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

    Unless it can be configured as a wireless bridge, it can't. There is an
    alternative though. You configure one of your computers to connect to
    the existing wireless network. Then share the connection in the
    computer to your wired NIC, and put it in the wired switch and connect
    the other computers to it. You typically need to assign fixed IP
    addresses to the other computers. Your shared NIC port will be by
    default 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0. So they will need to be on that
    network, with the 192.168.0.1 as the gateway.
    Rich Johnson, Mar 17, 2011
  11. JLT

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Belkin F5D8236-4 doesn't have wireless bridge capability

    Gents,
    I have the Belkin F5D8236-4 wireless router. I reviewed the support page and it doesn't seem to have wireless bridging capability; Belkin calls bridging wirelessly cascading.

    "belkin.com/us/support-article?rnId=9533" Sorry, not enough posts to use links... odd...

    Is there another way to use the Belkin F5D8236-4 as a wireless bride? I want to use the Belkin to connect to my wireless network and then use the WAN ports on it to connect to my Asus Maximus VI Hero mobo.

    I saw mention of DD-WRT. I don't know what FTPT is. Can someone please explain?

    Thanks!

    JLT
    JLT, Jul 28, 2013