How to use PC instead of HAG to make VoIP Calls

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Daevon, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Daevon

    Daevon Guest

    Hi
    My telephony provider uses ethernet cabling and an HomeAreaGateway to give
    me telephony service.

    I've managed to enter to enter in the HAG config page and take all the
    needed data to make a call. (all the H323 config I mean)

    In fact, using OpenPhone I can even manage to connect to my Gatekeeper using
    my account.. the problem is, when I need to make a call, OpenPhone promts me
    for an IP address and a Gateway... but i need to put in it a standard
    telephone number!

    How can I do? I want to (legally) use my pc as a telephone and answering
    machne instead of using the standard telephone set... it is possible
    according to you?

    many many thanks
    Daevon

    Daevon, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Daevon

    Daevon Guest

    Below you can see the config screen for my HAG, real addresses substituted with "x":

    Gateway

    Configuration

    Network Configuration(update)

    Using fixed IP
    Mac address 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.156
    IP netmask 255.255.255.128
    IP gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.254
    DNS server xxx.xxx.xxx.1
    DNS name xxxxxx.xxx

    Security Configuration(change)

    No password installed

    DHCP Server Configuration(update)

    DHCP SERVER DISABLED

    H.323 Configuration(update)

    Gatekeeper IP Address: 1xx.xx.xx.3
    KeepAlive: 60
    Dial plan: xx.T
    H323 Alias: CPV-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <(My name here)
    InterDigit: 5
    Line 1 Phone Number: 0xxxxxxxx <(My Telephone number here)
    Modem Transmission: ENABLED
    Fax Transmission: ENABLED
    Allowed CID Presentation: ENABLED
    Line 2 Phone Number:
    Modem Transmission: DISABLED
    Fax Transmission: DISABLED
    Allowed CID Presentation: DISABLED

    Clock Configuration(update)

    Timezone: GMT+1:00
    Daylight savings time

    SNMP Configuration(update)

    SNMP ENABLED

    Code Version

    Hw Version: 1.2
    Loader Version: 2.4
    Application Version: 2.8.4

    This HAG is a simple device: It has an
    Ethernet IN, an Ethernet Out (it's kind of a passthru device, even if it got
    an IP address of its own) and an RJ11 standard phone jack.
    I just want to get rid of this HAG, give my PC it's IP address, and use my
    pc to make and receive calls. Do you think it is possible? And afaik,
    OpenPhone doesn't allow to make calls to other than IP addresses... do there
    is some other software?

    Again, MANY thanks to everyone!

    Daevon

    Daevon, Jul 15, 2003