    I am very happy with the performance of Sony T1 P&S digicam.
    But I'm having problems with taking nice flower shots with "macro".
    Could someone give me how to do good macro shot? Satoshi
    satoshi, Jun 26, 2005

  2. satoshi

    wilt Guest

    Macro distances mean that best results are achieved by using a smaller
    f/stop so that a larger portion of the subject remains in focus, front
    to rear. Good macro is also achieved via good lighting...so on a
    flower, a bit of backlighting can make the flower more vivid. Also,
    shooting on overcast days make flower colors appear nicer than on
    bright sunny days.

    --Wilt
    wilt, Jun 26, 2005

  3. wilt <> wrote:
    : Macro distances mean that best results are achieved by using a smaller
    : f/stop so that a larger portion of the subject remains in focus, front
    : to rear. Good macro is also achieved via good lighting...so on a
    : flower, a bit of backlighting can make the flower more vivid. Also,
    : shooting on overcast days make flower colors appear nicer than on
    : bright sunny days.

    One other piece of advice. When possible introduce a "size comparator"
    element. When taking macro images of flowers it is easy to loose any
    indication of the size of the flower. Sometimes this can subtly detract
    from the impact of the image. But if something of an appropriate size that
    most people will recognize can bring back the "wow". This object does not
    even have to specifically be in focus. For example I have taken macros of
    tiny little delicate flowers, filling the frame, and they don't look very
    interresting. But by pulling back a tiny bit and introducing a dime into
    the background makes the delicacy of these tiny flowers obvious. I have
    even simply used my finger to "support" the flower, bringing them into a
    frame of reference. Of course this means that you have to be able to shoot
    fast enough to minimize both camera shake and the subject shake imparted
    by your other hand. :)

    The same idea holds true for large subjects too. Even posing a person
    beside or even behind a large spike of foliage shows the massive size. In
    fact when the person is behind the subject, looking at it, with the person
    thrown out of focus, it can draw the eye of the viewer to the desired
    subject.

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL