    chose ICM, no color correction, manual color correction, sRGB, and
    PhotoEnhance4. I'd like to avoid printing using every single option to
    figure out which is best so any help will be appreciated <g>.

    Swingman, Dec 19, 2005

  2. Swingman

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Swingman writes ...
    >
    >I have an ICM profile for my Epson inkjet printer. I also use Digital Image
    >Pro for photo printing which has an option to use ICM profiles (for both the
    >monitor and printing). If I enable the printer profile in Digital Image Pro
    >should I also chose ICM in the Epson printer driver when I print, or does
    >this cause an over-correction? In the printer driver I have the option to
    >chose ICM, no color correction, manual color correction, sRGB, and
    >PhotoEnhance4.

    I'm not familiar with Digital Image Pro but here's how it works in
    Photoshop ... if you do NOT set the profile up in Photoshop then you
    choose 'icm' in the printer driver; if you DO set the profile in
    Photoshop thru soft proofing or convert to profile then you choose 'no
    color correction.' On most Epsons if you set it in Photoshop and set
    it again in the printer software you get a distinct magenta shift so
    it's easy to see if you double profiled.

    The other options in the printer driver are basically meant for those
    who do not have access to programs like ours for printing.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 19, 2005

  3. Swingman

    Swingman Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >Swingman writes ...
    >>
    >>I have an ICM profile for my Epson inkjet printer. I also use Digital
    >>Image
    >>Pro for photo printing which has an option to use ICM profiles (for both
    >>the
    >>monitor and printing). If I enable the printer profile in Digital Image
    >>Pro
    >>should I also chose ICM in the Epson printer driver when I print, or does
    >>this cause an over-correction? In the printer driver I have the option to
    >>chose ICM, no color correction, manual color correction, sRGB, and
    >>PhotoEnhance4.

    > I'm not familiar with Digital Image Pro but here's how it works in
    > Photoshop ... if you do NOT set the profile up in Photoshop then you
    > choose 'icm' in the printer driver; if you DO set the profile in
    > Photoshop thru soft proofing or convert to profile then you choose 'no
    > color correction.' On most Epsons if you set it in Photoshop and set
    > it again in the printer software you get a distinct magenta shift so
    > it's easy to see if you double profiled.

    Thanks for the reply. I experimented a little more and discovered that
    disabling profiles in Digital Image Pro (DIP) and choosing ICM in the
    printer driver produces good results. Oddly, if the printer profile is
    enabled in DIP and I chose "no color correction" in the printer driver the
    output is way too dark - go figure.

    Swingman, Dec 19, 2005
  4. Swingman

    Stacey Guest

    Swingman wrote:

    > I'd like to avoid printing using every single option to
    > figure out which is best so any help will be appreciated <g>.

    Buy "color confidence" by Tim Grey. $10 used at amazon and is cheaper than
    all the ink and paper you're fixing to waste. Then you'll actually
    understand what color management is, how it works and how to correctly use
    it.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Swingman

    swingman Guest

    >> I'd like to avoid printing using every single option to
    >> figure out which is best so any help will be appreciated <g>.

    > Buy "color confidence" by Tim Grey. $10 used at amazon and is cheaper than
    > all the ink and paper you're fixing to waste. Then you'll actually
    > understand what color management is, how it works and how to correctly use
    > it.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I DID order the book.

    swingman, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Swingman

    Stacey Guest

    swingman wrote:

    >>> I'd like to avoid printing using every single option to
    >>> figure out which is best so any help will be appreciated <g>.

    >> Buy "color confidence" by Tim Grey. $10 used at amazon and is cheaper
    >> than all the ink and paper you're fixing to waste. Then you'll actually
    >> understand what color management is, how it works and how to correctly
    >> use it.

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I DID order the book.

    It's a great read. Not too technical where you get bored or fall asleep and
    some interesting facts about how human vision works and why inkjets prints
    can look so different in different light sources (metamerism) where a
    lightjet print won't etc. Also explains work flow, why you don't/can't
    really profile a camera unless you are using a fixed light source etc.
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Dec 23, 2005