    Thanks in advance.

    Joe

    , May 18, 2006

  2. Toxygenous Guest

    yup, communities are kind of "tags" for BGP routes
    Carriers and ISPs can do "automatic" policing on customer BGP announces
    with regard to BGP communities attached to customers' BGP prefixes.

    Toxygenous, May 18, 2006

  3. On 18.05.2006 05:08 wrote

    > Please inform me how to use BGP Communities. I'm not referring to the
    > 3 common ones. But more importantly I see the AS:Communitynumber
    > syntax but I'm not sure the purpose of these communities.
    >
    > Are they used to "tag" certain received and sent prefixes, so they may
    > be later filtered? Please clarify. I have trouble understanding this
    > topic.

    A lot of ISP uses BGP communities to give their customers a tool for
    traffic engineering.

    See http://www.onesc.net/communities/ for a list of ASN and their policies.

    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45

    Arnold Nipper, May 18, 2006
  4. Grog Guest

    On 17 May 2006 20:08:30 -0700, wrote:

    >Please inform me how to use BGP Communities. I'm not referring to the
    >3 common ones. But more importantly I see the AS:Communitynumber
    >syntax but I'm not sure the purpose of these communities.
    >
    >Are they used to "tag" certain received and sent prefixes, so they may
    >be later filtered? Please clarify. I have trouble understanding this
    >topic.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Joe

    Joe,