How to use a digital camera to take pictures as if they are scanned by a scanner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peng Yu, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Peng Yu

    Peng Yu Guest

    I have a few paper articles (black and white, of course) to be copied
    as monocolor TIFF image into my computer. I usually scan them, but at
    this time no scanner is availbale to me. I want to use my Canon
    PowerShot S30 as a substitute.

    The task isn't so easy.

    No flash can be used, because the paper will reflect a lot of light
    which makes the pictures very bright. Flash Exposure Compensation
    doesn't work well at this situation. I don't know why. Maybe it's
    because this camera is not designed for this purpose.

    So, for normal shutter speed 1/60(I don't have a tripod) and maximum
    aperture F2.8, the result picture seems very dark under the condition
    that ISO speed is below 200. There is only a fluorescent lamp in my
    room. It isn't practical to purchase a brighter lamp. So I have to
    take pictures at a high ISO speed. The file format is set to RAW by
    me.

    Then I use Adobe Photoshop CS to process these RAW files. I adjust
    Temperature Tint Exposure Shodows Brightness Contrast Saturation to
    improve rusults at a second time. After that, it is the last step to
    store them in 2-value(monocolor) TIFF files. Unfortunately, I don't
    find how Photoshop can save 24-bit color images into monocolor images.
    I am stuck. I don't want use a third party software, because that will
    increase the complexity.

    Then I had to try to take pictures in B/W mode. But a lot of
    parameters can not be adjusted at this mode, the most important thing
    of which is that ISO speed cannot be adjusted by hand.

    Have you ever do something like this? How do you fulfill this task? Do
    you have any good suggestions?

    Peng Yu, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Peng Yu

    Frank ess Guest

    Peng Yu wrote:
    > I have a few paper articles (black and white, of course) to be copied
    > as monocolor TIFF image into my computer. I usually scan them, but at
    > this time no scanner is availbale to me. I want to use my Canon
    > PowerShot S30 as a substitute.
    >
    > The task isn't so easy.
    >
    > No flash can be used, because the paper will reflect a lot of light
    > which makes the pictures very bright. Flash Exposure Compensation
    > doesn't work well at this situation. I don't know why. Maybe it's
    > because this camera is not designed for this purpose.
    >
    > So, for normal shutter speed 1/60(I don't have a tripod) and maximum
    > aperture F2.8, the result picture seems very dark under the condition
    > that ISO speed is below 200. There is only a fluorescent lamp in my
    > room. It isn't practical to purchase a brighter lamp. So I have to
    > take pictures at a high ISO speed. The file format is set to RAW by
    > me.
    >
    > Then I use Adobe Photoshop CS to process these RAW files. I adjust
    > Temperature Tint Exposure Shodows Brightness Contrast Saturation to
    > improve rusults at a second time. After that, it is the last step to
    > store them in 2-value(monocolor) TIFF files. Unfortunately, I don't
    > find how Photoshop can save 24-bit color images into monocolor images.
    > I am stuck. I don't want use a third party software, because that will
    > increase the complexity.
    >
    > Then I had to try to take pictures in B/W mode. But a lot of
    > parameters can not be adjusted at this mode, the most important thing
    > of which is that ISO speed cannot be adjusted by hand.
    >
    > Have you ever do something like this? How do you fulfill this task? Do
    > you have any good suggestions?

    Your camera wants to make the pages solid gray. You must overexpose to
    avoid that. Your other parameters don't allow it.

    You are out of luck. Or, you must make a change or two in your
    requirements.

    My text-photography successes have been with sunlight or 600 watts of
    tungsten (4x75w on a copy stand). Someone with Photo Shop CS should be
    able to bring in good information-laden images from what you are able
    to produce.

    Frank ess, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Peng Yu

    Blade Runner Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:37:24 -0700, Peng Yu <> wrote:

    =>I have a few paper articles (black and white, of course) to be copied
    =>as monocolor TIFF image into my computer. I usually scan them, but at
    =>this time no scanner is availbale to me. I want to use my Canon
    =>PowerShot S30 as a substitute.
    =>
    =>The task isn't so easy.
    =>
    =>No flash can be used, because the paper will reflect a lot of light

    Change the angle.

    =>which makes the pictures very bright. Flash Exposure Compensation
    =>doesn't work well at this situation. I don't know why. Maybe it's
    =>because this camera is not designed for this purpose.
    =>
    =>So, for normal shutter speed 1/60(I don't have a tripod) and maximum
    =>aperture F2.8, the result picture seems very dark under the condition
    =>that ISO speed is below 200. There is only a fluorescent lamp in my
    =>room. It isn't practical to purchase a brighter lamp. So I have to
    =>take pictures at a high ISO speed. The file format is set to RAW by
    =>me.

    Can the objects be moved to backyard/frontyard with plenty of day light?

    =>
    =>Then I use Adobe Photoshop CS to process these RAW files. I adjust
    =>Temperature Tint Exposure Shodows Brightness Contrast Saturation to
    =>improve rusults at a second time. After that, it is the last step to
    =>store them in 2-value(monocolor) TIFF files. Unfortunately, I don't
    =>find how Photoshop can save 24-bit color images into monocolor images.
    =>I am stuck. I don't want use a third party software, because that will
    =>increase the complexity.

    IrfanView is FREE out there everywhere.

    =>
    =>Then I had to try to take pictures in B/W mode. But a lot of
    =>parameters can not be adjusted at this mode, the most important thing
    =>of which is that ISO speed cannot be adjusted by hand.
    =>
    =>Have you ever do something like this? How do you fulfill this task? Do
    =>you have any good suggestions?

    How do you make a blind person shoot photos? Ask someone else does it for
    him/her.

    Never can understand the mind set of "How do I walk, if I cut my feet?"

    Blade Runner, Jul 7, 2004
  4. On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:37:24 -0700, Peng Yu <>
    wrote:

    >I have a few paper articles (black and white, of course) to be copied
    >as monocolor TIFF image into my computer. I usually scan them, but at
    >this time no scanner is availbale to me. I want to use my Canon
    >PowerShot S30 as a substitute.

    >Have you ever do something like this? How do you fulfill this task? Do
    >you have any good suggestions?

    I'm not sure I understand what's the problem. What's the end
    goal, to have nice looking pictures of text? My best tip is to
    take the pictures outdoors in daylight. If file size is a worry
    why not convert them to jpg? Are you not going to OCR the
    pictures?

    I have transferred several books to .txt-files by taking jpg
    pictures (400kb+) with my Oly 2100 uz and OCR'ed them.

    --
    regards
    Vidar Grønvold

    Vidar Grønvold, Jul 7, 2004