    it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    Is there a better way than this?
    Davy

    Davy, Oct 27, 2007

  2. Davy

    Sparky Guest

    On Oct 27, 11:04 am, "Davy" <> wrote:
    > I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
    > PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
    > but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
    > it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    > Is there a better way than this?
    > Davy

    down in the lower left corner there is a little thing that says safely
    remove devices or somethign
    click that and then select what you want to eject

    Sparky, Oct 27, 2007

  3. Davy

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Sparky
    <> wrote:

    > On Oct 27, 11:04 am, "Davy" <> wrote:
    >> I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my
    >> Windows XP PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I
    >> insert the SD card but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug
    >> the USB cable and reinsert it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    >> Is there a better way than this?
    >> Davy

    > down in the lower left corner there is a little thing that says safely
    > remove devices or somethign click that and then select what you want
    > to eject

    But that doesn't solve the problem of how to get XP to notice that
    you've plugged the card back into the reader at some later time.

    So far, the only way I've discovered to do that is to unplug the reader
    from the USB port and plug it back in, just as the original poster is
    doing.

    You'd think there would be another way ...

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 27, 2007
  4. Davy

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:04:24 +0100, "Davy"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
    >PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
    >but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
    >it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.

    Yes, sadly that's the way Sandisk have implemented it. I
    have other (slower) readers that inform Windows when cards
    are inserted and removed, but not my Sandisk Extreme. It's a
    damned fast reader but it has its irritating little foibles.

    >Is there a better way than this?

    Let me know if you find one :-(

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Oct 27, 2007
  5. Davy wrote:
    > I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my
    > Windows XP PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I
    > insert the SD card but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug
    > the USB cable and reinsert it.

    Not sure if it will help, but did you try going to "My Computer" and then
    opening the proper entry in "Devices with removable storage"?
    Also, mabye a newsgroup for Windows XP might be a better place to ask.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 27, 2007
  6. Davy

    Dave Guest

    Yeah, that's the way I usually do it as well. However I do wonder if it is
    necessary with XP, as occasionally when I just pull the card out it seems to
    be OK. Of course if you do that while the card is reading you are asking for
    trouble, just like when you turn off your camera before it has a chance to
    put the files into the card. Does anybody know if you really have to shut
    off the cardreader to just remove a card? My next step is usually to format
    the card after that anyway.

    Dave

    Dave, Oct 27, 2007
  7. Davy

    Cynicor Guest

    I always just pulled my card reader/MP3 player/portable drive out of the
    USB slot with no ill effects for years. Then the day before a
    trans-Atlantic flight, I must've disconnected my MP3 player with a file
    open, corrupted the directory, and I couldn't play anything on it. I
    reformatted it, and it's been working without any problem for over two
    months again. Since then, I always right-click in Explorer and choose
    "Remove Safely."

    Cynicor, Oct 27, 2007
  8. Davy

    Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:04:24 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Davy"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
    >PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
    >but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
    >it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    >Is there a better way than this?

    If your reader supports this, open up My Computer and right click on the
    drive assigned to the reader/card and choose Eject. This works fine with my
    IOGear multi-reader/USB hub.

    , Oct 27, 2007
  9. Davy

    H.S. Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    > I always just pulled my card reader/MP3 player/portable drive out of the
    > USB slot with no ill effects for years. Then the day before a
    > trans-Atlantic flight, I must've disconnected my MP3 player with a file
    > open, corrupted the directory, and I couldn't play anything on it. I
    > reformatted it, and it's been working without any problem for over two
    > months again. Since then, I always right-click in Explorer and choose
    > "Remove Safely."

    Yes, that is the lesson to take home!

    Most people do not realize this and assume that Windows somehow can
    reads their minds.

    One has to do this in Windows as well as in Linux (and in Mac too I guess).

    ->HS

    H.S., Oct 27, 2007
  10. Davy

    Davy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:04:24 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Davy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows

    XP
    > >PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD

    card
    > >but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and

    reinsert
    > >it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    > >Is there a better way than this?

    > If your reader supports this, open up My Computer and right click on the
    > drive assigned to the reader/card and choose Eject. This works fine with

    my
    > IOGear multi-reader/USB hub.

    I don't have a problem ejecting or stopping; just getting Windows XP to
    recognise that I have re-inserted the memory card.

    Davy

    Davy, Oct 27, 2007
  11. Davy

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Davy"
    <> wrote:

    > I don't have a problem ejecting or stopping; just getting Windows XP
    > to recognise that I have re-inserted the memory card.

    You'd probably be getting better answers if that's what you'd put in the
    subject line of your post.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 27, 2007
  12. Ï "Dave" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > Yeah, that's the way I usually do it as well. However I do wonder if it is
    > necessary with XP, as occasionally when I just pull the card out it seems

    > be OK. Of course if you do that while the card is reading you are asking

    for
    > trouble, just like when you turn off your camera before it has a chance to
    > put the files into the card. Does anybody know if you really have to shut
    > off the cardreader to just remove a card? My next step is usually to

    format
    > the card after that anyway.

    Nope.If you disconnect the card reader *itself*, then you have to use remove
    safely, or whatever it is in English.If you just pull off the card off the
    reader, when transferring activity has ceased, you get no windows warning
    message, so I presume it's safe.BTW, if you disable/disconnect the card
    reader, you have to reconnect it, to make it working again.I suppose the
    reader's internal circuitry has something that allows you to remove a card
    live.

    > Dave
    >
    > "Sparky" <> wrote in message
    > > On Oct 27, 11:04 am, "Davy" <> wrote:
    > >> I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my

    Windows
    > >> XP
    > >> PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD
    > >> card
    > >> but XP does not seem to see it.

    Do you go to "My computer"to find the card reader as removable
    drive(s)?(Mine has 4 drive letters, 1 for CF,1 for SD, one for memory stick
    and one for xD.Believe has something to do with its internal architecture)

    >>I need to unplug the USB cable and
    > >> reinsert
    > >> it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    > >> Is there a better way than this?
    > >> Davy

    > > down in the lower left corner there is a little thing that says safely
    > > remove devices or somethign
    > > click that and then select what you want to eject

    There's no need for this, IMHO if you just pull the card off.If you connect
    your *camera* with a USB cable, then you have to do this.

    Just my 2 cents...

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Oct 27, 2007
  13. Davy

    H.S. Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    > Ï "Dave" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    >> Yeah, that's the way I usually do it as well. However I do wonder if it is
    >> necessary with XP, as occasionally when I just pull the card out it seems

    >> be OK. Of course if you do that while the card is reading you are asking

    > for
    >> trouble, just like when you turn off your camera before it has a chance to
    >> put the files into the card. Does anybody know if you really have to shut
    >> off the cardreader to just remove a card? My next step is usually to

    > format
    >> the card after that anyway.
    >>

    > Nope.If you disconnect the card reader *itself*, then you have to use remove
    > safely, or whatever it is in English.If you just pull off the card off the
    > reader, when transferring activity has ceased, you get no windows warning

    I think that data transfer depends on the OS. The OS deals with how/when
    to actually sync the mounted partitions. So, it is possible the desktop
    GUI may show that the transfer is complete but it may take a bit longer
    for everything to wrap up actually at hardware level (IIRC, file
    deletions are a case in point). The "remove safely" option just ensures
    there are no loose thread. It is never advisable to just yank out a
    memory card from a reader -- you may get away with it most of the times,
    but it can result in severe data loss once in a while.

    ->HS

    H.S., Oct 27, 2007
  14. Davy

    Frank ess Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:04:24 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Davy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my
    >> Windows XP PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera
    >> I insert the SD card but XP does not seem to see it. I need to
    >> unplug the USB cable and reinsert it. Ditto if I 'stop' the
    >> device.
    >> Is there a better way than this?

    > If your reader supports this, open up My Computer and right click
    > on the drive assigned to the reader/card and choose Eject. This
    > works fine with my IOGear multi-reader/USB hub.

    I have a Nameless Firewire reader that responded well to that routine;
    for months on end it saw the next card inserted and acted
    appropriately. Then one of the Windows UpScrewUpdates must have done
    something stupid. Since then, "Eject" will leave a sensitive reader
    for a while, but later on it requires the Firewire cable be
    unplugged/plugged.

    Just thinking: perhaps I haven't been patient enough. Windows is set
    to turn off drives after an hour; could it be the readers are slow to
    respond to awakening? Next time I'll wait longer before unplugging.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 28, 2007
  15. Davy

    Robert Coe Guest

    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
    : >PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
    : >but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
    : >it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    :
    : Yes, sadly that's the way Sandisk have implemented it. I
    : have other (slower) readers that inform Windows when cards
    : are inserted and removed, but not my Sandisk Extreme. It's a
    : damned fast reader but it has its irritating little foibles.
    :
    : >Is there a better way than this?
    :
    : Let me know if you find one :-(

    My Sandisk Extreme doesn't seem to behave that way at all. I can remove and
    replace the card with no problem. Sometimes the computer notices right away
    and sometimes not. But when it doesn't, and I try to do something with a file,
    it simply tells me to insert a card. (Actually I guess it's "insert a disk".)

    Full disclosure: My computer is Windows Server 2003, not XP. But I strongly
    suspect they use the same driver. When I have a little more time (I'm trying
    to finish up a couple of things before the World Series Game starts), I'll try
    it on my XP laptop.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 28, 2007
  16. Davy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Davy wrote:
    > I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
    > PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
    > but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
    > it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    > Is there a better way than this?
    > Davy

    Generally, if you leave the card reader plugged in, you don't stop the
    device as that will require you to unplug and replug it for XP to
    recognize it. I just take the card out, and put another one in. It
    takes XP some time to recognize this has happened, and I don't know any
    way to make it see the new card faster.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 28, 2007
  17. Davy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sparky wrote:
    > On Oct 27, 11:04 am, "Davy" <> wrote:
    >> I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
    >> PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
    >> but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
    >> it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    >> Is there a better way than this?
    >> Davy

    > down in the lower left corner there is a little thing that says safely
    > remove devices or somethign
    > click that and then select what you want to eject

    ONLY if you want to remove the device, physically, NOT just the card.
    It is safer to repeat the process, however, with removable readers, but
    if you do that with a built-in card reader, you will need to reboot to
    get it to work again!

    Ron Hunter, Oct 28, 2007
  18. Davy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news: Sparky
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Oct 27, 11:04 am, "Davy" <> wrote:
    >>> I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my
    >>> Windows XP PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I
    >>> insert the SD card but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug
    >>> the USB cable and reinsert it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
    >>> Is there a better way than this?
    >>> Davy

    >> down in the lower left corner there is a little thing that says safely
    >> remove devices or somethign click that and then select what you want
    >> to eject

    > But that doesn't solve the problem of how to get XP to notice that
    > you've plugged the card back into the reader at some later time.
    >
    > So far, the only way I've discovered to do that is to unplug the reader
    > from the USB port and plug it back in, just as the original poster is
    > doing.
    >
    > You'd think there would be another way ...

    Just put the card in, and WAIT. It may take a minute or two for XP to
    notice it.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 28, 2007
  19. Davy

    Tony M Guest

    On 27/10/2007 19:21, * H.S. wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> I always just pulled my card reader/MP3 player/portable drive out of the
    >> USB slot with no ill effects for years. Then the day before a
    >> trans-Atlantic flight, I must've disconnected my MP3 player with a file
    >> open, corrupted the directory, and I couldn't play anything on it. I
    >> reformatted it, and it's been working without any problem for over two
    >> months again. Since then, I always right-click in Explorer and choose
    >> "Remove Safely."

    > Yes, that is the lesson to take home!
    >
    > Most people do not realize this and assume that Windows somehow can
    > reads their minds.
    >
    > One has to do this in Windows as well as in Linux (and in Mac too I guess).
    >
    > ->HS

    To set up the card reader etc for fast removal in XP, go to My Computer,
    right click on the relevant drive, and select Properties.

    Select the Hardware tab, select the relevant drive (again), click on the
    Properties button, then the Policies tab. Tick the Optimise for quick
    removal option.

    No need to to use the safely remove hardware thing again.

    Tony M

    Tony M, Oct 28, 2007
  20. Davy

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:p Ron Hunter
    <> wrote:

    > Bert Hyman wrote:
    >>
    >> You'd think there would be another way ...
    >>

    > Just put the card in, and WAIT. It may take a minute or two for XP to
    > notice it.

    Actually, there is another way, and it's apparently been there forever
    and I never noticed it 'til somebody in this thread mentioned the
    "Eject" selection in some context menu or another.

    In File Explorer, if you right-click the drive letter for the slot
    corresponding to the individual memory card in your multi-card reader,
    there will be an "Eject" entry. If you click that, the card will be
    unmounted, but the card reader will remain.

    If you re-insert the card, or insert another card, it will be
    recognized, eliminating the need to unplug the reader from the USB port
    and plug it back in again.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 28, 2007