    how do we uninstall to the previous windows 98 - I did the safe mode but a
    msg comes up and says that I must auth. the copy of windows before it can run
    - what do I do? Thanks so much
    whitelarl, Nov 9, 2008

  2. whitelarl

    philo Guest

    "whitelarl" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi My friend installed pro trial on his computer and let the trial run

    out -
    > how do we uninstall to the previous windows 98 - I did the safe mode but a
    > msg comes up and says that I must auth. the copy of windows before it can

    run
    > - what do I do? Thanks so much

    If any data you had on the machine is backed up

    just run fdisk and delete the drive

    recreate reboot and format

    now install win98 fresh
    philo, Nov 9, 2008

  3. whitelarl

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    The grace period can be extended if you have access to the Run line.

    To extend the grace period another 30 days, simply start a command prompt as
    Administrator, and issue this command:

    slmgr -rearm

    If the system will not start up so you can access the Run line, I don't know
    any way to proceed except to do a fresh install of the other operating
    system.

    If there are files you need, I would install the OS to a different drive or
    partition than the files you need are on.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Nov 9, 2008
  4. whitelarl

    John Barnes Guest

    If your version is an upgrade version, have the qualifying OS CD handy to
    insert when asked.

    John Barnes, Nov 9, 2008
  5. Is this true for the 'trial' as well?

    Nice 'last way out', if it is.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 9, 2008
  6. whitelarl

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I was told by "good sources" that rearming works for the Vista and Server
    2008 trials. I was not told that it does not. However, as you might
    correctly infer from that, I do not know from personal experience or any
    "authoritative" source. Altogether, the best I can say is that I hope so.
    :)

    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Nov 9, 2008
  7. whitelarl

    John Barnes Guest

    Since he refers to Pro, I assume he is talking about XP. I, personally, was
    unable to get this to work on a Home Premium version I had installed while
    waiting for a Vista Ultimate to arrive.

    John Barnes, Nov 9, 2008
  8. Hello,
    Rearm sets the activation grace period in Windows Vista( resets back to 30
    days) and Windows Server 2008.(resets back to 60 days)
    There are a limited number of times this can be run on a system.
    3 for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista
    Except for Windows Vista Enterprise with SP1 which was increased to 4 rearms
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 11, 2008