    (Just try fixing anything w/out a keyboard. ONE time. Just once. You
    learn the incredible value of this tip. That one other person this year
    is welcome -It's all easy when you see the answers :)
    TheNIGHTCRAWLER, Jan 16, 2004

  2. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    kstahl Guest

    TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

    > Keyboard is a no show?
    >
    > This is rare and this is the answer. Open a file, or a file name with
    > the mouse. Copy command lines or any text one desperately has to have.
    > Highlight, cut/copy, paste.
    >
    > You can access the a: drive and type what is needed on another PC to
    > copy and paste via the mouse. An extremely rare disease of the PC,
    > which is why I'm putting the word out.

    Why not just open the text document and then use the charmap
    utility to copy one character at a time to the clipboard and then
    into the document? Tedious, but it gets the job done.
    kstahl, Jan 16, 2004

  3. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    TV Slug Guest

    "TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <> wrote in message
    > Keyboard is a no show?
    >
    > This is rare and this is the answer. Open a file, or a file name with
    > the mouse. Copy command lines or any text one desperately has to have.
    > Highlight, cut/copy, paste.
    >
    > You can access the a: drive and type what is needed on another PC to
    > copy and paste via the mouse. An extremely rare disease of the PC,
    > which is why I'm putting the word out.
    >
    > TheNIGHTCRAWLER
    > (Just try fixing anything w/out a keyboard. ONE time. Just once. You
    > learn the incredible value of this tip. That one other person this year
    > is welcome -It's all easy when you see the answers :)

    Or click CHARMAP.EXE in your Windows directory. It gives you a virtual
    keyboard to "mouse type" whatever you need, then copy and paste as above.
    TV Slug, Jan 16, 2004
  4. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    LarryLamb Guest

    > Keyboard is a no show?
    >
    > This is rare and this is the answer. Open a file, or a file name with
    > the mouse. Copy command lines or any text one desperately has to have.
    > Highlight, cut/copy, paste.
    >
    > You can access the a: drive and type what is needed on another PC to
    > copy and paste via the mouse. An extremely rare disease of the PC,
    > which is why I'm putting the word out.

    Just one of XP's hidden features... Type "osk" and up pops a virtual
    on-screen keyboard. It is remarkably functional with three typing modes.

    By default, you can use the mouse to pointer and button to select
    characters but, if you go to the keyboard's Setting menu and click Typing
    Mode, you can choose the "Hover" method, whereby characters are selected
    simply by pointing at them with the mouse, or you can use a joystick or
    "hot keys" to type.
    LarryLamb, Jan 16, 2004
  5. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (TheNIGHTCRAWLER) wrote in news:40078937.396690
    @news.prodigy.net:

    > TheNIGHTCRAWLER
    > (Just try fixing anything w/out a keyboard. ONE time. Just once. You
    > learn the incredible value of this tip. That one other person this year
    > is welcome -It's all easy when you see the answers :)

    This is the most cumbersome and annoying idea to fix a machine. Have you
    ever clicked Start, Programs, Accessories, Accessibility, OnScreen
    Keyboard? Way way easier.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 16, 2004
  6. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    kstahl Guest

    LarryLamb wrote:

    > "TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Keyboard is a no show?
    >>
    >>This is rare and this is the answer. Open a file, or a file name with
    >>the mouse. Copy command lines or any text one desperately has to have.
    >>Highlight, cut/copy, paste.
    >>
    >>You can access the a: drive and type what is needed on another PC to
    >>copy and paste via the mouse. An extremely rare disease of the PC,
    >>which is why I'm putting the word out.
    >>

    > Just one of XP's hidden features... Type "osk" and up pops a virtual
    > on-screen keyboard. It is remarkably functional with three typing modes.
    >
    > By default, you can use the mouse to pointer and button to select
    > characters but, if you go to the keyboard's Setting menu and click Typing
    > Mode, you can choose the "Hover" method, whereby characters are selected
    > simply by pointing at them with the mouse, or you can use a joystick or
    > "hot keys" to type.

    Ah, but if osk is not on the start menu and the keyboard is dead,
    the only way to invoke it is to either navigate to the executable
    using explorer.
    kstahl, Jan 17, 2004
  7. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    kstahl <> wrote in news::

    > Ah, but if osk is not on the start menu and the keyboard is dead,
    > the only way to invoke it is to either navigate to the executable
    > using explorer.

    Which would still be easier to do than to continue moving a floppy disk
    back and forth between machines changing the file name or writing the
    commands into the text file to copy and paste line by line, IMHO

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004
  8. kstahl <> wrote:

    >TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:
    >
    >> Keyboard is a no show?
    >>
    >> This is rare and this is the answer. Open a file, or a file name with
    >> the mouse. Copy command lines or any text one desperately has to have.
    >> Highlight, cut/copy, paste.
    >>
    >> You can access the a: drive and type what is needed on another PC to
    >> copy and paste via the mouse. An extremely rare disease of the PC,
    >> which is why I'm putting the word out.

    >Why not just open the text document and then use the charmap
    >utility to copy one character at a time to the clipboard and then
    > into the document? Tedious, but it gets the job done.

    Just type it into the run... command line, right :)

    While I've seen it before, never heard anything about it. I just
    verified the existence of charmap.exe on the system though.

    *sigh* just typed it in on the command line. Real easy if you've got a
    keyboard!

    NONoNOnoNOOOOOOO.... anythingggg, but the keyboard!!!!! :)

    Of notable interest is that a USB keyboard works on modern systems
    without the operating system. If the boot is interrupted before the OS
    loads... the keyboard works. This is of extreme interest when the
    current OS has a corrupted USB Hub, deciding to ignore the USB ports on
    said system.

    I do love to hate Windows.

    TheNIGHTCRAWLER
    TheNIGHTCRAWLER, Jan 17, 2004
  9. DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >kstahl <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Ah, but if osk is not on the start menu and the keyboard is dead,
    >> the only way to invoke it is to either navigate to the executable
    >> using explorer.
    >>

    >Which would still be easier to do than to continue moving a floppy disk
    >back and forth between machines changing the file name or writing the
    >commands into the text file to copy and paste line by line, IMHO

    Must admit, very cool features. Trust me. It's like being blind. I
    don't know how many times I went for the keys when they weren't there in
    what should have been a 5 minute fix.

    All emergency access and hidden, forgotten by most... just not there.
    No command line, nothing. Nothingness. DOS prompt, gone.

    An eerie thing. Ghost keyboard syndrome :)

    Ended up copying a filename on top of the win.com file name in order to
    allow a system overwrite that restored the USB and keyboard.

    Troubleshooting a PC w/out a keyboard is the worst. I've noted the
    locations of both executables mentioned in this post. My future thanks,
    just in case.

    NC
    (For all the blind people in the world... I felt a long moment of your
    grief. Renaming a single file. How do ya do that simplest of things
    w/out a keyboard? -And no, delete doesn't work for win.com)
    TheNIGHTCRAWLER, Jan 17, 2004
  10. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (TheNIGHTCRAWLER) wrote in news:4008fe3b.1098960
    @news.prodigy.net:

    > (For all the blind people in the world... I felt a long moment of your
    > grief. Renaming a single file. How do ya do that simplest of things
    > w/out a keyboard? -And no, delete doesn't work for win.com)

    Why do blind people not have keyboards?

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004
  11. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    Pepperoni Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > (TheNIGHTCRAWLER) wrote in news:4008fe3b.1098960
    > @news.prodigy.net:
    >
    > > (For all the blind people in the world... I felt a long moment of your
    > > grief. Renaming a single file. How do ya do that simplest of things
    > > w/out a keyboard? -And no, delete doesn't work for win.com)
    > >

    > Why do blind people not have keyboards?

    Which makes one wonder, what sort of braile monitor do they recommend?
    Pepperoni, Jan 17, 2004
  12. DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    > (TheNIGHTCRAWLER) wrote in news:4008fe3b.1098960
    >@news.prodigy.net:
    >
    >> (For all the blind people in the world... I felt a long moment of your
    >> grief. Renaming a single file. How do ya do that simplest of things
    >> w/out a keyboard? -And no, delete doesn't work for win.com)
    >>

    >Why do blind people not have keyboards?

    Problems setting them up?

    NC
    (A corporate keyboard driver on IRQ1. First we'll need a committee...)

    http://www.blindprogramming.com/
    No programs. Click here to learn more.

    http://cgi.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9811/06/blindprog.idg/
    newsie: A tiny field, Cure or adapt, tis the question.

    http://www.temple.edu/instituteondisabilities/atlend/eval.html
    This place gets my e-mail. Functional and useful, I could work there.
    TheNIGHTCRAWLER, Jan 18, 2004