    background will erode battery life. In the absence of a toggle switch which
    I'm sure I've seen on most other Centrinos, how can I find out if Wireless
    networking is active, and if so, turn it off.

    Mr. Shempley, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Mr. Shempley wrote:

    > I've got a new centrino laptop with pretty sparse, poorly translated
    > instructions and no wireless on/off switch. Accordingly, I've always got an
    > icon showing an error on Wireless Network Connection. I don't wish to use
    > wireless at the moment, and assume that having this service running in the
    > background will erode battery life. In the absence of a toggle switch which
    > I'm sure I've seen on most other Centrinos, how can I find out if Wireless
    > networking is active, and if so, turn it off.

    Go to Network connections and disable.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Mr. Shempley

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:32:04 +1100, "Mr. Shempley" <> wrote:

    >I've got a new centrino laptop with pretty sparse, poorly translated
    >instructions and no wireless on/off switch. Accordingly, I've always got an
    >icon showing an error on Wireless Network Connection. I don't wish to use
    >wireless at the moment, and assume that having this service running in the
    >background will erode battery life. In the absence of a toggle switch which
    >I'm sure I've seen on most other Centrinos, how can I find out if Wireless
    >networking is active, and if so, turn it off.

    fn - f3

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Mar 6, 2005
  4. Mr. Shempley

    JHEM Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > fn - f3

    That's normally for turning off the display.

    Fn+F5 is most commonly used for turning off the WiFi card AFAIK.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Mr. Shempley

    Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 14:38:11 GMT, "JHEM"
    <> wrote:

    |> Barry OGrady wrote:
    |> >
    |> > fn - f3
    |>
    |> That's normally for turning off the display.
    |>
    |> Fn+F5 is most commonly used for turning off the WiFi card AFAIK.

    Reason for the return sir?

    I was trying to turn off the WiFi and it just died on me.

    --

    , Mar 6, 2005
  6. "JHEM" <> wrote:
    >Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> fn - f3

    >Fn+F5 is most commonly used for turning off the WiFi card AFAIK.

    Unless you have a Dell, in which case it's Fn-F2. In fact, it's
    probably different for at least every vendor, and we don't even know
    if the OP has a Fn key...

    His best bet is to use the Network Connections window, and ask the
    laptop vendor for assistance (BIOS settings, hotkeys, etc).

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 6, 2005
  7. Mr. Shempley

    Garf Guest

    "JHEM" <> wrote in message
    > Barry OGrady wrote:
    > >
    > > fn - f3

    > That's normally for turning off the display.
    >
    > Fn+F5 is most commonly used for turning off the WiFi card AFAIK.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > James

    Err thats to switch display modes (internal / external / both) on HP's and a
    lot of Tosh's

    I'd RTFM first, mind you if the OP gave us a clue like "MANUFACTURER" we'd
    be able to help a little better

    Garf

    Garf, Mar 6, 2005
  8. Mr. Shempley

    click2dennis

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Check out this cool little app

    Check out wirelessautoswitch.com/?src=dh

    It does it automatically- if you're plugged into ethernet, it turns off wireless. If you're on the road, it turns the wireless back on.

    click2dennis, May 27, 2009