    stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
    devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.

    So what's the safe way to do it?
    Adnan, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Adnan

    SgtMinor Guest

    Adnan wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
    > external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
    > when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
    > ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
    > stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
    > devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
    >
    > So what's the safe way to do it?

    If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite
    safe to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is
    less and less important. At one time "surprise removals" could
    cause problems but XP can now handle most instances:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/hotadd/XPrem-devs.mspx
    SgtMinor, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Adnan

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 13:42:22 -0500, Adnan <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
    >external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
    >when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
    >ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
    >stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
    >devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
    >
    >So what's the safe way to do it?

    Are you sure it's the hard drive you're hearing, and not the fan in the
    enclosure?

    --
    * ducky prepares to waid through the filesystems
    <AB> ducky
    Mara, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Adnan

    Adnan Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 13:42:22 -0500, Adnan <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
    >>external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
    >>when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
    >>ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
    >>stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
    >>devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
    >>
    >>So what's the safe way to do it?

    > Are you sure it's the hard drive you're hearing, and not the fan in the
    > enclosure?

    There's no fan inside.
    Adnan, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Adnan

    Adnan Guest

    SgtMinor wrote:
    > Adnan wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
    >> external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
    >> when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
    >> ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
    >> stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
    >> devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
    >>
    >> So what's the safe way to do it?

    > If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite safe to
    > pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is less and less
    > important. At one time "surprise removals" could cause problems but XP
    > can now handle most instances:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/hotadd/XPrem-devs.mspx

    I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching is
    disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is whether
    the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off while the drive
    is still running (spinning)?
    Adnan, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Adnan

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: SgtMinor
    <> wrote:

    > Adnan wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart Drive
    >> external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off switch)
    >> when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something before that? I
    >> ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem to find a way to
    >> stop it before turning it off. XP's remove hardware feature for USB
    >> devices doesn't work since it keeps telling me the device is in use.
    >>
    >> So what's the safe way to do it?

    > If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite
    > safe to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is
    > less and less important. At one time "surprise removals" could
    > cause problems but XP can now handle most instances:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/hotadd/XPrem-devs.mspx

    This apparently assumes that write caching hasn't been enabled for the
    device in question. I've enabled write caching for my USB external hard
    drive and always hit the "Safely Remove Hardware" button and stop the
    drive before shutting it down.

    If the OP is concerned about safe removal, he should try to find out why
    Windows thinks the drive is in use (it could be as simple as having it
    selected in Explorer) and resolve that issue.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Adnan

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:pnAXf.3754$ Adnan
    <> wrote:

    > my question is whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning
    > it off while the drive is still running (spinning)?

    There's no problem; that's the way it's normally done.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Adnan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:pnAXf.3754$,
    Adnan spewed forth:
    > SgtMinor wrote:
    >> Adnan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB hard drive in a Smart
    >>> Drive external enclosure. Is it safe to simply turn it off (on/off
    >>> switch) when I'm not using it or am I supposed to do something
    >>> before that? I ask because the disk keeps spinning and I can't seem
    >>> to find a way to stop it before turning it off. XP's remove
    >>> hardware feature for USB devices doesn't work since it keeps
    >>> telling me the device is in use. So what's the safe way to do it?

    >> If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite safe
    >> to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is less and
    >> less important. At one time "surprise removals" could cause
    >> problems but XP can now handle most instances:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/hotadd/XPrem-devs.mspx

    > I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
    > is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
    > whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
    > while the drive is still running (spinning)?

    So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does some
    little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the power quits?
    A drive is a drive - internal or external.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 1, 2006
  9. Adnan

    clot Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:pnAXf.3754$,
    > Adnan spewed forth:
    >> SgtMinor wrote:

    >>> If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite safe
    >>> to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is less and
    >>> less important. At one time "surprise removals" could cause
    >>> problems but XP can now handle most instances:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/hotadd/XPrem-devs.mspx

    >> I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
    >> is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
    >> whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
    >> while the drive is still running (spinning)?

    > So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does
    > some little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the
    > power quits? A drive is a drive - internal or external.

    Tim - you've ruined my illusion! I always thought that there were either
    elves or Lego men inside the box working for me. :)
    clot, Apr 1, 2006
  10. Adnan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:%PAXf.2255$,
    clot spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:pnAXf.3754$,
    >> Adnan spewed forth:

    >>> I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
    >>> is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
    >>> whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
    >>> while the drive is still running (spinning)?

    >> So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does
    >> some little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the
    >> power quits? A drive is a drive - internal or external.

    > Tim - you've ruined my illusion! I always thought that there were
    > either elves or Lego men inside the box working for me. :)

    Well, I've had mice running around inside some. But I don't think they were
    much help ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Apr 1, 2006
  11. Adnan

    clot Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:%PAXf.2255$,
    > clot spewed forth:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> In news:pnAXf.3754$,
    >>> Adnan spewed forth:

    >>> So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does
    >>> some little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the
    >>> power quits? A drive is a drive - internal or external.

    >> Tim - you've ruined my illusion! I always thought that there were
    >> either elves or Lego men inside the box working for me. :)

    > Well, I've had mice running around inside some. But I don't think
    > they were much help ;o)

    You've beaten me to it! I was just trying to find a link to Fraggle Rock
    and the Doesers (sp?)- the little guys with hard hats on! :)
    clot, Apr 1, 2006
  12. Adnan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:U%AXf.39376$,
    clot spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:%PAXf.2255$,
    >> clot spewed forth:

    >>> Tim - you've ruined my illusion! I always thought that there were
    >>> either elves or Lego men inside the box working for me. :)

    >> Well, I've had mice running around inside some. But I don't think
    >> they were much help ;o)

    > You've beaten me to it! I was just trying to find a link to Fraggle
    > Rock and the Doesers (sp?)- the little guys with hard hats on! :)

    Oh yeah - cute <g>

    Toolman Tim, Apr 1, 2006
  13. Adnan

    clot Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:U%AXf.39376$,
    > clot spewed forth:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> In news:%PAXf.2255$,
    >>> clot spewed forth:

    >>> Well, I've had mice running around inside some. But I don't think
    >>> they were much help ;o)

    >> You've beaten me to it! I was just trying to find a link to Fraggle
    >> Rock and the Doesers (sp?)- the little guys with hard hats on! :)

    > Oh yeah - cute <g>

    It brings back wonderful recollections for me. My kids either sat on my
    lap or beside me enjoying such nonsense together. It was a great
    progamme!
    clot, Apr 1, 2006
  14. Adnan

    AGEE Guest

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:41:09 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:pnAXf.3754$,
    >Adnan spewed forth:
    >> SgtMinor wrote:

    >>> If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite safe
    >>> to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is less and
    >>> less important. At one time "surprise removals" could cause
    >>> problems but XP can now handle most instances:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/hotadd/XPrem-devs.mspx

    >> I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
    >> is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
    >> whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
    >> while the drive is still running (spinning)?

    >So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does some
    >little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the power quits?
    >A drive is a drive - internal or external.

    See
    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/op/actParking.html
    AGEE, Apr 1, 2006
  15. Adnan

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-01, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > In news:%PAXf.2255$,
    > clot spewed forth:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> In news:pnAXf.3754$,
    >>> Adnan spewed forth:

    >>> So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does
    >>> some little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the
    >>> power quits? A drive is a drive - internal or external.

    >> Tim - you've ruined my illusion! I always thought that there were
    >> either elves or Lego men inside the box working for me. :)

    > Well, I've had mice running around inside some. But I don't think they were
    > much help ;o)

    Unix and Linux people believe that daemons do most of the work. Things can
    get pretty gruesome inside a Linux box; 'forked child process' is going on
    all the time, and 'kill' is a command-line tool. If you keep them fed and
    let them know who's boss, though, they are mostly pretty well-behaved and
    clean up after themselves. What they really do most of the time is sleep.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 1, 2006
  16. Adnan

    John Holmes Guest

    Toolman Tim blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > In news:pnAXf.3754$,
    > Adnan spewed forth:
    >> SgtMinor wrote:

    >>> If you're not reading from or writing to the device it's quite safe
    >>> to pull the power plug. The "remove hardware" feature is less and
    >>> less important. At one time "surprise removals" could cause
    >>> problems but XP can now handle most instances:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/hotadd/XPrem-devs.mspx

    >> I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
    >> is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
    >> whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
    >> while the drive is still running (spinning)?

    > So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does
    > some little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the
    > power quits?

    It won't stop the drive from spinning, but at least it would park all
    heads in a safe state.

    > A drive is a drive - internal or external.

    That must be an april fools day joke.

    --
    Your mother was an annoying cauliflower who ran a bogus university in a
    political party.
    John Holmes, Apr 2, 2006
  17. Adnan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    AGEE spewed forth:
    > On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:41:09 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:pnAXf.3754$,
    >> Adnan spewed forth:

    >>> I'm not worried about the data. I know that as long as write caching
    >>> is disabled, I can just unplug it at any time but my question is
    >>> whether the hard disk hardware can be affected by turning it off
    >>> while the drive is still running (spinning)?

    >> So what do you think happens in your PC when you turn /it/ off? Does
    >> some little magic elf inside stop the drive from spinning before the
    >> power quits? A drive is a drive - internal or external.

    > See
    > http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/op/actParking.html

    Exactly - head parking is no longer an issue even in the case of power
    failure. So powering off by the switch shouldn't bother the external drive
    anymore than an internal drive would be bothered by shutting down the PC.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 2, 2006